1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DivX Player Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zephyrus, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Endlessly Tilting Windmills

So.

I got a new DVD player for Christmas, as I've had to use my PS2 whenever I wanted to play a DVD. I was given a Philips DVP3982, which seems to play every format except Bluray, but it claims to have 1080p upconversion. I have no idea what that means. The user manual offered no such insight as to how to actually view movies in HD. I've managed to download some movies off of my computer and play them in fairly impressive quality on the player, but not much more. Regular DVDs are in decent quality as well (at least compared to my PS2) but not the quality I'm looking for. I bought an HDMI cable in hopes of improving the general quality of picture even more; no such luck there.

I need someone to explain to me how exactly to use this player. More specifically, how to use this player to watch HD movies. Since I can't play Bluray discs, obviously the process involves format conversion and burning somehow, but I don't precisely know how to do that. I'm ignorant when it comes to HD in general and could use a bit of enlightenment.

2. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

"Upconversion" on a DVD player refers to a feature where the player takes a normal DVD and outputs it at HD resolution. This will sometimes look a bit better on an HDTV than the output from a non-upconverting DVD player. But it's not magic; it's not actually adding any additional detail. It's no different than watching a DVD at full screen on your computer monitor, since your computer has to scale it up to HD-like resolution to fill out all the monitor's pixels.

In short, upconversion doesn't mean you can watch true HD video with your new player. As a final test, I suggest scouring the internet for a video clip in the MPEG2, DivX*, or XviD* formats that is of HD resolution, burning it to a DVD, and seeing if your new player can play it. My guess is that it won't work.

*this assumes your player can play DivX - I'm assuming yes, since you called it a "DivX player"

3. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

That player supports DivX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and DivX Ultra. If you play the actual file at HD res (e.g. burning a 1080p episode to a disk), it shouldn't upscale it and should be full HD.

4. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Endlessly Tilting Windmills

My thanks. I'm currently dowloading a 720p clip as a test to see if it works.