1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How do you destroy Horcrux's?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Lord Rostam, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I've read fic's lately where people have taken the liberty of making their own ways to destroy a Horcrux. All of them involved some form of counter-acting goodie goodness, since the Horcrux is inherently evil. I've even seen a story with a simple Finite Incantantem(sp?).

Mine thougts are, since it takes an evil ritual and the murder of a human being, maybe a Strong Light Ritual involving Phoenix Tears would destroy it. The phoenix tears and a phoenix itself represent light and being reborn, Phoenix tears also heal. It also has to be pretty strong for the backlash to effectively render Dumble's arm useless.

I was just wondering what your thought's on Horcrux destruction are.

2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Actually from the wording it looks like the destruction of the horcrux is not what destroyed Dumbledore's hand.

Sounds like the curse was the last defense that Voldemort put up, like the potion that the fake locket was in. It appears that the old geezer is always stumped by the last defenses. I think destroying the horcrux is just like destroying any other living thing. Harry killed the Diary by stabbing it, and Dumbledore might of simply used Avada Kedavra or some sort of equivalent to the killing curse.

Of course Harry should simply stuff the horcruxes up Ginny's twat, her corrosive juices should do the rest and hey if I am wrong about what happens when Horcruxes are destroyed Ginny will be taken out as well, killing two birds with one stone.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

All we know about their creation is that it takes a murder. Doesnt mention anything about a ritual. Apparently Nagini became one after he killed the muggle at Riddle Manor in GoF... he was a devil fetus then, I dont think he'd be doing any rituals. I'm surprised he could even fire the killing curse...

Anyway, Harry stabbed the diary with a Basilisk fang if you dont remember. I guess you just have to get rid of the object, once that happens the soul just floats away to the afterlife or where ever things like that go. Since its no longer bound to anything... Basilisk fang is highly magical and just smashed through any magic protecting the book I guess...

The goodness flushing out the evil is a good idea in theory though. Too... lovey for my tastes but... well, you've seen my tastes.

The Phoenix tears ritual thing can work, or he could just throw the whole lot of them through the veil in the Department of Mysteries. I was going to do that in 'Here I Come' but a lot of other beat me to the punch.

4. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Yeah the way its writen the Horcrux is not invulnarable. I suppose you could use some fancy assed spell to destroy one but as Harry demonstrated in the CoS they can be physically destroyed too. So collected the lot of them and toss them into Mt. Doom or a smelter.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Nagini became one then? How'd you figure that out?

I was under the impression that most, maybe all had been made prior to or during the first rise.

And ditto on the Dumble's hand stuff. My impression of horcruxes is that they aren't easy to destroy, but they're not that hard either. Only old Voldie has put added protections around his, and it's those protections and/or traps that cause all the problems.

I suppose a basilisk fang maybe only worked for some convenient and lucky reason, but I don't think they're exactly impossible to destroy. Hence the hiding and extra protections, traps, etc... But again, if the knowledge of horcruxes and how to make them is so taboo, then the knowledge of how to destroy them wouldn't be commonplace.

Perhaps willingly given unicorn urine...

6. Lord Nemesis Black

Lord Nemesis Black Fourth Year

I was thinking that you would have to use magic to render the defense's harmles and than phsically(sp?) destroy the item that made up the Horcrux. At least that's the way that i understood it.

So are you planning on giving a drug test to see if their on any potions or something? :lol:

7. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Thanks for the reply's, Im starting to see how some of these can work. I don't think Nagini couldv'e been made then, he was a fetus he can't hold a wand im pretty sure Wormtail kills Frank Bryce....yay i remembered his name!

That makes sense to me, if its so hard to find the knowledge to even MAKE them then it's going to be damn hard to find how to destroy them. But that opens up how Slughorn knew what they were in the first place....

8. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Well the diary was made while Riddle was still at Hogwarts, so I doubt he would know enough spells to place the necessary protections over it. I also agree with nonjon, it is never said, either directly or indirectly, that Nagini was a Horcrux in canon. That is just something that sprouted up in fanon, and has been taken to heart by people who don't know how to come up with new ideas.

With the post-HBP story that I'm writing (which I haven't done since last October... :oops: ) my Voldie will have done something completely smart: he turned an ordinary rock into a Horcrux, placed a variety of waterproofing charms on it, and hurled it into the middle of the Atlantic. Now I know that canon!Voldemort would never do that, but my one my one will be a bit more logical, and know that having a Horcrux that could only be found by boiling off the world's oceans, he's going to feel pretty confident.

9. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

considering what your doing with voldie and his horcrux rowling sure does make voldemort sound like a dumbass for not thinking about that.

10. Lord Nemesis Black

But you assumeing that she makes him out to be that stupid.

So if you go by that theory than the vast majority of the wizarding population would know nothing about a Horcrux. Therefore why would Voldy take the time to do something like that in cannon, instead of the way he did protect them.

11. shlager_5321

shlager_5321 First Year

well first thing is that i think that to destroy a Horocrux you need a strong magical weapon either light or dark and with that you simply whack the object and break it - thus realeasing(sp) the soul in it.
    like in CoS Harry used a Bassilisk fang which in and of it self is higly magical (dark magic - becuase of the posion).
    the second thing is that while Riddle had the diary while he was at hogwarts dosent mean that he madt it into a Horocrux while he was still a student he had plenty of time to do it after he left hogwarts and also i dont think that he would have found any information on how to do it at the Hogwarts library...

12. Lord Nemesis Black

on your first point I would have to disaggree with you, seeing as how all the horcruxes are made out of "seemingly" common items you should just be able to destroy them after bypassing the protections that soround them and destroy them like you would anything else, however i have been wrong in the past so i might be wrong about this as well you never know.

Now as to your second point, I can't really aggree with or disaggree with you about that one so.

13. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I think there are a few reasons why canon!Voldy wouldn't turn it into a rock then throw it into the sea.

1. He thinks himself above everyone else and something special. Hence, the horcruxes have to be special.
    2. If he wanted to get the horcrux back for any reason, it would prove difficult BUT
    3. Throwing it into the sea may be a good idea in the real world but in the magical world there's magic! Accio etc.
    4. Voldy's SO full of himself that he doesn't think that anyone knows about his horcruxes, let alone knows how to stop them.
    5. It'd be pretty difficult to manipulate the stuff in the middle of the ocean to help him protect it.

I agree with nonjon that it wouldn't be unbelievably difficult to destroy. Fanon of course is making up new and melodramatic ways of destroying them but I think finding the things are definitely far more difficult than destroying them, as shown in HBP.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

If you remember, Harry's death was going to create the last Horcrux... he never got to make it because of the backfired Avada Kedavra. It stands that the only people he killed since then were Bertha and the muggle - did he kill Quirrell? - so maybe he made the last Horcrux with Bertha's death and it was something else. If not, then it must have been the muggle... I'm pretty sure Dumbledore said something about Nagini... he said its possible or something of the sort. Unwise, since its a living creature, but possible.

Like I've said a few times, I really need to reread HBP... I just cant be assed.

15. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Technically, Harry killed Quirrell, but your reasoning is sound. And with Accioing a Horcrux that had been dumped in the middle of an ocean, I think there might be a problem there. I always had the impression that all spells dissipate after traveling for a certain distance, which would be unique for the spell.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've just had a thought...if the horcruxes were made before Voldemort used Harry's blood to resurect himself, then the pieces of his soul that were split from him before then don't have the protection against Lily Potter's sacrifice like Voldemorts new body does.
    Therefore, Harry could just touch the Horcrux and it'll be destroyed...he's like an anti-horcrux machine...all he has to do now is find them...

Though I have to say that this is unlikely to happen in canon as JKR doesn't usually use the same thing twice and she's already used Lily's protection to save him from Voldemort in PS.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That and accio'ing "Rock" sort of wouldn't work, lol. Then take into account weathering on the rock, even waterproofing it, it'd still possibly be eaten, or crushed by pressure, or fal into an underwater volcano and be melted, etc, etc.

Accio I didn't think worked over long distances anyway?

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he meant that there are spells for finding things and retrieving them and just used accio as an example rather than meaning you could go to the beach and say "accio horcrux" and get a stone for your efforts.

19. Lord Nemesis Black

That makes since. otherwise it would be a realy long trip to find that one little rock.

20. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

That's the whole point of chucking it into the middle of the ocean, make it obscenely hard to get at the damn thing! Otherwise, every man-Jack and his dog are going to be able to find it.