1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

5th book different verdict challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Harpy Prince, May 4, 2006.

1. Harpy Prince

Harpy Prince Seventh Year

If some of you want to write something then please do my challenge.

I remember in OotP Hermione explained to Harry that Sirius wanted Harry to be found guilty so they could be on the run together. Well in this challenge Harry is found guilty and is sent to Grimmauld place until Dumbledore can figure out what to do with him. Dumbledore doesn't have to be full on manipulative but he does at least have to make decisions concerning Harry without his consent which then causes Harry to runaway with Sirius. As they go on the run they travel the world learning magic from all over. Voldemort reveals himself later on and the wizarding world realises the wrongs they did and search for Harry to save them. And if possible some Ron bashing would be great. Let me know what you think.

2. Promios

Promios Fourth Year

Travel the world with Sirius and learning magic. Just...no.
    I dont like Sirius either.

3. Harpy Prince

Really? But what if wacky hijinks were to persue?

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

This could also happen as a POA AU - Harry could really run away, instead of getting picked up by Fudge in Diagon Alley.

But yeah, this is one of better what-if permutations of HPverse...

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Sadly, the whole "Harry still in school" makes it a harder sell. You can't have near as much fun or wacky hijinks when, according to canon, Harry's an idiot still. They'd be more likely looking for a safer but educational alternative, rather then just going around getting into adventures.

Deceptions by Wolfmoon involves Harry and Sirius running off post-GoF because they're going to toss Harry in jail for killing Cedric. They end up at a sort of assassin school. It's an okay fic.

I'm also reminded of Halstead's Yet Hope Still Remains but that's one of the Sirius and Remus run off with baby Harry elsewhere and keep moving around.

I had some ideas for a fic about Sirius wanting "another James" around, rather than a "godson" (the whole 'parent' versus 'friend' idea), but they just don't work with an early OotP teenage Harry for me. Because frankly all teenagers are idiots. Especially an untrained Harry. Of course supering Harry up is nearly, not quite, but nearly, as annoying as incapable idiot!Harry (i.e. the sort who'd hide under an invisibility cloak and get his face kicked in by people even stupider and more idiotic).

Maybe it's fanfic that's completely ruined the 'Godfather Sirius' sort of character for me. But little PoA!Harry wanted a Dad (when he got hopeful about a place to live). Sirius was still a bit loopy and wanted James back. Then again, that's probably why I can't stomach reading about child!Harry stories. Kids are stupid, and they only get stupider when they hit the middle teens, until they get old enough to be drunk and wasted all the time when they wake up with a headache and hangover and realize not only is everyone else stupid, but they're plenty stupid too.

6. Harpy Prince

I think a Sirius acts more like a friend than father fic would be better. Harry isn't a pussy in OotP until after Sirius dies. If that never happened I have no reason to believe Harry would be such a wuss like in HBP. Super!Harry is cool when it's done well and the training is explained rather than the writer saying he read 5000 books over a summer and now knows wandless magic. Besides I can't help feel you're analogy on age is one sided. Yes there are older people who acknowledge their faults but their are older people who never refeuse to change and do nothing but drink and party until they're 30.

7. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

This would work IF...

- Sirius somehow knew about all of these magical places all over the world and where to got to learn new magic in them.
    - When Harry is convicted, he finds a way out of wherever they're keeping him.
    - Neither of them gets picked up for being a wanted criminal.
    - Sirius is even more delusional than we originally thought and actually thinks its a good idea.
    - Harry knows where to find Sirius (he went on broom last time, he has no idea how to get there unless he's developed super directional powers... and the Knight Bus would attract the Order)
    - I can't think of anything else but I'll let you know if I do.

Edit: - And Harry can do magic outside of school without the Ministry freaking out.