1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Press Conference and Wii Games discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by LINKed up, May 10, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    Now then, if you haven't gotten to read the blogs about the press conference, then go do so. Now then, after you read that, watch the E3 game trailers that they have on IGN or Gamespot. The games are amazing. Also, it would be good to read the hands-on reviews of the demos. We will discuss the games and such here. I personally think that all of the games that are planned are going to be awesome, including Disaster: Day of Crisis and Project H.A.M.M.E.R., both of which are being developed by Nintendo.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

3. LINKed up

I like the online connection that the Wii will have, the Wii Connect 24. The concept of it is awesome, the Wii being always connected and all.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Link don't lay down rules for a thread, that's not your job. If you start a post fully expect folks to be allowed to voice their opinions on the issue.

If you say "hey X feature is great" anyone is fully allowed to come in and argue against that point.

5. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

And doth I do argue: Nintendo iz teh sucketh!!!11!

/leaves topic and never returns

6. LINKed up

Sorry Mid, I'll edit it out.

Done.

Anyways, on topic, I'm surprised that Nintendo is actually adding a third-party character in the next Super Smash Brothers. They are actually adding Solid Snake.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  7. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

i just saw the screen shots of super smash bros. and it looks good. im getting excited for the release of the......wii (cringes).

8. LINKed up

Have you seen the light gun peripheral? Its almost exactly like what IGN predicted it might look like, which is kind of scary.

I saw some footage of the virtual console, and it works kinda like what I thought, but it looks different.

9. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

Wii...lmao...I have to know how many people laugh when they read wii?..could we get a poll on that....please? as for wii...lmao...nintendo is gonna go that same way as sega.

10. LINKed up

I don't see Nintendo going the same way as Sega. Why? Nintendo has a very good plan of action, at least in my opinion. The only reason why they didn't include HD support is because they believe that most people do not have HDTV's, but that they will in five years, when their sixth console will come out.

11. Midknight

Not including HD support is stupid, any gamer worth his salt has one by now.

Not to mention I agree, Nintendo's going the way of Sega, they just don't have it in them anymore, nor have had it since early n64 days.

Hell at least Sega makes some good sports games in the past, wtf is Nintendo going to do, port Pokemon over to xbox 360?

I see so many folks riding Nintendo's jock over a game that looks like shit, Smash Bros. Brawl.. seriously, watch the video linked here, then look at any game on the 360, or even the current gen platforms. Nintendo doesn't have a chance

12. Element

Element Seventh Year

Not seeing it, to be honest. I'm not extremely sure of my facts here, but hey, don't mutilate me - I'm pretty sure that Nintendo were the only ones to make profit from their console this generation. I'm extremely sure that Microsoft took losses with the Xbox, and I know they are still taking losses with the 360 - http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/28/3-2-million-xbox-360s-sold-388-million-in-operating-losses/
    I'm under the impression that the Sony gaming division (not Sony as a whole) is in the red, but I could be wrong about this. However, I do know that for every PS3 they sell, they will be losing money.
    Nintendo may not make the consoles with the best graphics, nor the best games, but they do make affordable consoles that do provide them with profit. I'm reasonably sure that they will not go the way of Sega.

13. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I'm not quite sure of my facts here either but doesn't it cost Sony pennies to produce games that they sell for £50? I think Sony broke even on the PS2 after a couple of years because PS2 owners were buying shitloads of games. The same might be said for Microsoft (I'm even less sure about that).

14. Element

Element Seventh Year

That could be right. I *think* that Microsoft said that they would break even in 2006 or 2007. I'm not that sure they took into account the Xbox 360, though, which must have drastically reduced the amount of Xbox's bought. I really need to find some facts :p

EDIT: Wikipedia is my friend ;
    This flexibility stands in contrast to the situation faced with the original Xbox, which contained a processor from Intel (a slightly modified Pentium III) and a GPU from NVidia (a modified GeForce 3), both of which were proprietary processors sold to Microsoft at an inflated market price. Because of the added expense of these chips and the inclusion of a hard drive component, Microsoft was never able to reduce Xbox manufacturing costs below the break-even point. As a result Microsoft's home entertainment division posted a loss through nearly every quarter of the console's lifecycle, including a loss of US$ 388 million during Microsoft's 2005 Q3, at the Xbox 360 launching. [2] Microsoft is predicting that with the Xbox 360, a greater market share and falling hardware costs will eventually make system sales profitable.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  15. LINKed up

Well, you have to remember that wikipedia can't always be trusted. But the blu-ray technology is very new, and is liable to have many unforeseen bugs and stuff that could cause people to not like the PS3.

16. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

....link just wants to play with his wii...lmao..wii...lmao. I can't wait for the blu-ray tech to come out...its gonna be so cool..have you seen the trailers for ps3..holy shit..those games look so real...well as real as a game can get.

17. LINKed up

So what? Are you saying that if a game had the best graphics ever but the worst game play ever it would be a good game? Graphics aren't everything.

18. Myst

Myst Headmaster

and the Wise One has spoken.

Graphics are not everything, I really dont give a damn on graphics, I just want a game with a good storyline, good controls and fun to play. It doesnt need to have realistic graphics to accomplish this.

Seriously, even if Nintendo does bomb with the Wii, they still own the Handheld world hands down.

Nintendo isnt going anywhere, that is pretty much a fact.

So it doesnt have HDTV support.. How many families in the US alone have HDTV, let alone Europe and Asia?

Not many, give it 5 years or so then, it will be a need to have HDTV support.

19. Midknight

Not to derail the discussion further, but the latest trend to support the want gamers have for increasing graphics, requires them to take a hit on the initial console price.

They make the cash up via licensing fees, royalties, extra hardware addons (why the hell do you think a xbox controller costs 30-40 bucks for an official one, yet 15$ for a 3rd party, and they only included 1 in the original xbox) and various other ways.

Nintendo's going to bomb not just due to stupid choices, but their track record ever since the SNES has been horrid. the N64 had a few, MAYBE a dozen or two games worth even looking at. Gamecube? My brother had one and every game I saw him play royally blew save for Metroid Prime and even that annoyed me with how blindly stupid and easy it was.

Nintendo will forever remain console gaming for children in my mind, and with the much more mature market, a company that censored the hell out of most any decent fighting game in the past, or likes to make it's flagship characters cartoony crap fests, just isn't going to live in a online gaming intensive world with folks who occasionally want to see some mature themes in a game.

20. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Again Midknight, not every gamer is a 16-25 year male/female who constantly wants to play shooting/fighting games.

hell I find that Shooting and Fighting games get ridiculously boring after a while.

Also you seem to have forgotton the Game Boy Advance and the DS.

PSP doesnt have crap on Nintendo in the Handheld world.

Not open for further replies.