1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spore

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by LINKed up, May 11, 2006.

1. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    I went and looked at an E3 video of this game, and it is awesome. Basically, you create a creature, and play as it. As the game goes on, you get the chance to improve your creature via the creature editor built into the game. Your creature then advances to the point where it can make buildings, cities, and eventually go into space. You can then visit other stars and planets. And there are millions of stars to go to. The other planets are inhabited by creatures made by other players played by the computer. You can also attempt to colonize the planets.

As a player, you get to create everything in the game, from the creatures, buildings, flora and fuana, veihicles, and even planets. Even though the game is for the PC, one of which I don't have, I still want to get the game, if just so I can make some awesome looking creatures.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Will I be able to make a Greco-Roman paradise?

3. LINKed up

Uhh... I guess. You'll just have to wait till next year for the game to come out now won't you? :p

4. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I want this! When does this come out? I hope it comes out after I get some more RAM and disk space 'cause otherwise it won't run on my crap PC.

5. LINKed up

Its coming out either Q4 06 or Q1 07. Other than that, I don't know.

6. Element

Element Seventh Year

I heard quite a lot about this, but I can't help but think of Peter Molyneux's Black and White games whenever I do. And the first was a great game, if riddled with bugs and flaws. The videogame journalists are all praising this game though, so it could be worth its salt. It just screams 'over-ambitious' to me, with a subliminal message of 'Over-hyped'.

7. LINKed up

Well, from what I have found out, it runs on a pretty new idea called procedural animation, in where everything is animated by the computer applying algorithims to the things that are made after analyzing them, or something like that. Because of that, the only way there really could be bugs for that part is if the math is wrong. For the other stuff, like the terraforming tools and such, I can see there being bugs, but what I learned is that the game will be coming out in about a year, which gives them a lot of time to get it right the first time.

8. Element

Element Seventh Year

A lot of that just flew right by me, but thanks anyway. Yikes, procedural animation, algorithims, terraforming tools. Anyhow, I'm just checking out the Wikipedia article for Spore, all sounds very interesting. And I've always liked Maxis and their games. What I found really interesting was an answer I found in an article with Will Wright by Gamespy; http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/707976p1.html

GameSpy: Still PC only?

WW: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff. One of the things in the game is that as you go around and encounter thingsā€¦ creatures and plants, or whatever, you make trading cards of each thing. That is the metaphor for the database -- trading cards. So you can collect your cards. You can print them out. You can now play your own card game. That might be like the cell phone part. That stuff is so light. It's more about collectability as opposed to interaction. Every creature in the PC game is three or four megabytes. But the cards, that is the database that the player is building.

All platforms? I'm intrigued although I daresay if I do buy it, I'll get it on the PC. You can't beat player-made content.

9. LINKed up

Well, I understand the basic idea of the animation thing, I think, but I would have no idea on how to really explain it to someone. With it coming out on all platforms, the one I can see as being the best port would be the Wii, not because I'm a big fan of Nintendo, by really because of the dinamics of the controller and how it could work with the game. When I do get the game, I will spend hours on my creature and such.