1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rewrite of the Series

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Duke of Rothwood, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

I was wondering if anyone or even a group of people would be up to completely rewriting the Harry Potter series DLP style. Thus he would not be such a pussy, we no longer have to put up with the stupid 'real' version and I thikn it would be much more enjoyable.

Thoughts on this or any takers?

2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    No. That's what Harmony did, and they got sued and the site taken down.

They replaced the H/G with H/Hr

3. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Indeed. Even if it wasn't illegal, what's the point? It's not going to change anything; canon will still be canon and there are enough great fics out there to be content with.

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

somebody did that and got sued? Thats really stupid. It sounds like it was fanfiction just closley followig cannon I don't see the problem with that. Why don't they just sue ff.net then.

Who sued them and when and why did'nt I here about this before.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  5. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

It really wasn't. While may be debatable, it was literally writing the book out and replacing "Ginny" with "Hermione" from what I understand. That's not fanfiction, that's just breech of copyright. Before this escalates into the whole copyright debate, it was copying and pasting whole great chunks from the books apparently. Quite frankly, I would've layeth the smackdown (legally) on them if it was me they were doing it to. While AU fanfiction is manipulating certain canon facts, this was just plain insulting to the author. It's basically saying "you're shit".

6. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Scratch my earlier statement of stupid. Now I'm suprised I did'nt here about it before. Really copying whole sections of book. That is one of the most disrespectful things they could do! I'm glad they got sued.

On a happier statement why not just comepletely rewrite it in an original way not copying book.
    I am sure it would be a hit.

7. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

That is what I meant, not copu and paste, just a rewrite sort of thing, but at the same time, I'm not that keen on getting sued

8. se7en

se7en Professor

year 1 - 7 ? that's a lot to write.

9. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

As long as they didn't make any money off it, I think it's completely ridiculous they were sued for re-writing the books. Not everyone is going to like everything you write, if they want to re-write it a bit for their own enjoyment, on their own time, while seeing ZERO dollars for it, then I'm all for it. It's not like JKR needs the money from a lawsuit, what do you have to gain by suing? Nothing, it just makes you look like an arrogant asshole.