1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Shameless (UK/US)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Ennead, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

So I've been watching the US remake of this long-running UK show, and I'm really enjoying it. I was pretty surprised about that but it's hilarious the kind of shit the Gallagher's get into. And equally as shocking the things they do to get out of it.

Anyways, it follows the family of Frank Gallagher, a lazy, alcoholic father of six. There's Fiona, the oldest sister who drops out of school to support her siblings. Lip, teen genius, gets into fucked-up relationships. Ian, closet gay, in ROTC. Debbie, sweet girl who just tries to do her best. Carl, future criminal. Liam, the baby. They're living in south Chicago, and the kids pretty much take care of each other, fighting off bills...their mooching father...CPS...their bipolar mother and her girlfriend, etc.

Apparently the US version follows the UK script pretty closely--maybe the pacing is a bit different. I've only watched the first season of the UK show and the plotlines were almost exactly the same. I don't know if it diverges more later on, though. I will say that the portrayals of Frank Gallagher are probably the most dramatic difference. I found UK Frank a bit more empathetic--you could tell he had a condition, that he was suffering from alcoholism. You can't pity US Frank in the same way, because even sober, he's still a son of a bitch. He is...a pathetic man, who uses vulnerable people any way he can just to avoid an ounce of work or responsibility. It's funny, what he does. But it's also quite sad.

Produced by Showtime, so, here's the warning that there's a lot of sex, drugs, and violence. Really, par for the course. It's titled "Shameless," so obviously it's going to highlight how fucked-up people can be.
    I wasn't sure if I would put it up here because it can be so excessive, but S3E9 cinched it for me. That scene with Debbie and Sheila...man, the feels.

2. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The US version is my favorite show right now. The characters are relatable and likable -- even Frank, somehow. Except for Debbie. God, she's annoying. The plot, while outlandish (sometimes to the point that you just have to stop and say "come on, all of this can't happen to one family"), is always entertaining.

It's nice to watch a show that simultaneously depicts the horrors and hopelessness of lower class life and the resilience of people forced into those situations. It's also funny, dark, but funny.

Recommended for anyone who doesn't mind two or three explicit sex scenes per episode.

Side Note: tried watching the UK version and the acting was turrible. Do not recommend. Watch the US.