1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ravages second challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Ravage, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ravage

Ravage First Year

Subject:

Ravage´s Challenge #2

Message Body:

Challenge #2:

Dumbledore dies before the cannon starts

Rules:
    * Harry is still at the dursleys at the beginning
    * Dumbledore dies of "natural" causes
    * The death occurs sometime between Harry's 5th and 10th birthdays
    * McGonagall is Headmistress
    * Somehow Harry is still involved in "wacky" adventures

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Umm, please elaborate as to how that would really differ from the books. You may not have noticed, but Dumbledore isn't really mentioned all that often in the first 3 books.

All I can see this leading to is a lot of angsting scenes between the different adults who knew Dumbles.

3. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I think it would be better if he died after the first or second book, maybe he had an "accident" after Lucius got him kicked out of hogwarts. It would be interesting to see how harrys next years would be then.

4. f77

f77 Backtraced

No, not really. I don't really see potential for this story... There is no real conflict other than what's in canon. Unless of course Voldemort is revived early without Harry's blood and launches immediate attack on Hogwarts.

5. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

hey kill him off by chocking on one of his god forsaken lemon drops........

you might want to elaborate on your idea.........

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Err... Excuse me, but what's the point?

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

*seconds IP's question and the motion to elaborate*

I could see it having potential if it had more of a solid plot, but as it is, its just plain blah!

... Grand Theft Potter. Need I say More?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  8. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

The idea has merit, though its merely an opening for something else to come.
    One could have Dumbledore put clues for Harry in letters and such and he has to go on a chase after things. So his wacky adventures have some sense. Well, as much as they ever had. He'd be still played by Dumbledore, though he might see more of the world and meet different people. for example going to Flamel about the stone and such. He'd be learning loads.

But after all this, I still dont think it would be a story I would personally read. But a good author and a deeper plot might remedy that.

9. f77

f77 Backtraced

I am never going to live it down, am I?

10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

No. That's your thin now and I doubt it'll go away.

This could well be one of the vaguest challenges I've seen in my life. Please don't take that as a complement, please don't.

11. Ravage

Ravage First Year

My apologies for not getting back sooner but my own computer has been acting up and the only time I had a chance to check this thread before now it crashed before I could reply. I also submit my apologies as it seems that while I had a few more rules in my head I did nnot place them in the challenge. they are:
    * Dumbledore is a manapulitive bastard.
    *The wards don't exist beyond what he put up himself.
    *and He is holding something over the dursleys in order to make them keep Harry "safe".

12. Ryuu Ken

Ryuu Ken Second Year

Eh? *scratches head* I don't see how Dumbledore being a manipulative bastard would have any impact on canon when he dies between Harry's fith and tenth birthday. Also, since McGonnagall is not very in favour of Harry being placed with the Durselys, wouldn't she remove him and bring him to a 'proper' family.

To be honest, I don't really see where you want the challenge to go. It still is a little too vague.

13. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Erm...your attempt at clarifying has failed.

Make an attempt at explaining what the hell you mean in more than 50 words and vague sentences.

Dumbledore is mamapanadgnulative bastard

Okay...and your point is? This still doesn't tell anyone a single thing about what your challenge is really about. As of now, all that is known is that Dumbledore is dead, and McGonagall is Headmistress. So? That leaves things open for a million idiots to write a terrible fic.

14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Details are your friends.

In fact, broad outlines are your friends.

Even better, vague ideas for a plot are your friends.

My thoughts exactly.

And how would Dumbledore be able to hold something over the Dursley's heads when he's dead? That makes no sense. I'm going to have to scrap this one...

15. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Actually this could lead, if you set it up right, into a very interesting fic. If Dumbledore is indeed dead, then a lot of people who did not try and influence Hogwarts could be trying there hand. Or more specificlly if Voldemort rises in this in Harry's forth year or any other time, then the prospect of attacking Hogwarts would be a lot more attractive, without the Great Albus Dumbledore there.

The Addition of Dumbledore being a Manipulative Bastard does not really work into this challenge well in my opinion.

As for the story Harry could go to school in a Hogwarts that on the surface appears normal but there is incredible political tension in the background as certain bodies such as the Ministry, and others via for control of the school, whether they try and replace McGonagle or try and make the Board there own.