1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Human

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Nov 26, 2013.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Almost Human is your standard buddy cop show. The twist? It's set in 2048 and one of the 'buddies' is an android.

I was wary of this show due to the corny trailers, but it's three episodes in now and I'm really enjoying it. Great actors, surprisingly good scripts, and a fantastically wry sense of existential humor make this one worth your time (if you have any to spare, that is).

Check it out.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I just finished a couple of dystopic books/series when I watched the first two minutes of the show a week ago. Told my wife to turn it off because I didn't want to get into another depressing story line so fast. Last night we finally sat down to watch it. It's a pretty good show.

What it REALLY has going for it, IMO, is the balance the shows strikes. The humor is ramped up because it's delivered properly and in measured doses. The conflict feels a bit contrived so far, but that's probably because it still has that new-show smell.

If I have to choose between this and Blacklist on Mondays, I choose this show. At least, so far, I've only seen two episodes. I'll watch the third tomorrow.

BTW, I loved the humor in Fringe, and since some of the same people are working on this show (Bad Robot), I'm guessing that sense of humor is going to stay around. Fringe did a great job with comic relief at the right time, even if the show did eventually jump the shark, then circled back around and jumped it again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Rym

Rym Auror

Loved Fringe. Loved every bit of it. Maybe I'll check this out then

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I love this show. I was hooked from the previews even because of two things,

1) Karl Urban does a mean job of portraying the injured hero back to duty
    2) The chemistry between the two was apparent before the show began and it's been getting better and better.

The only worry I have is that it'll go the way of a lot of other sci-fi TV shows on a mainstream channel and it'll get the axe. Finger's crossed that it stays. I have yet to watch the newest one "are you receiving" but I'll be watching it ASAP since it's on my DVR.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

But is he getting too old for this shit?

6. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Im a big fan of Karl Urban so I was going to watch this no matter what but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy this. Urban is great and I forget his name but the guy who plays Dorian is great too, he has this awesome deadpan delivery of jokes that just kills me.

7. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Anybody up to date on this thing? It seems to be your average cop show with a big fat time jump thrown at it. Five episodes in and I can say that the characters are at least entertaining if not original and the setting adds at least a couple cool things every show. Take away the 35 year leap and it's not above average. That being said I seem to like the top four or five actors in their roles, which is a big plus.

8. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I had a problem with episode 5. Why would they have a murder trial where the only thing you have on the guy is eye witnesses? They know all the Defense has to do is point out that there is technology out there, from episode 3, where someone can look like someone else. Which is a particularly good defense when the accused is rich enough to have wealthy enemies and no evidence was given that the accused and the victim even knew each other.

But overall, I like the show.

9. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Most recent episode had some pacing issues - not so much the story overall, just a couple of scenes that felt like they were dragging out, or the actors were just delivering lines slowly. My guess is the director was padding.

But I am more convinced than ever that if they did an entire episode that consisted of nothing but the two of them driving around in a cruiser bickering with each other, I would actually pay to watch it.

10. Riley

Karl Urban in a TV show is making me so freaking happy right now.

Also I concur with LC, the car scenes are hilarious and I love them.

11. Rym

Rym Auror

Watching this for the first time now. Really glad I started -- it's pretty awesome.

12. Riley

I'm loving the latest episode, finally getting more about Jon's past. I keep forgetting that Dorian's a DRN until he does something all computer-y, which I think is a really good thing.

Can't wait to see what happens with the girlfriend.

13. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I want to know what it up with that god damn wall

14. Rym

Rym Auror

Pretty sure I was sold on the show after the, "You scanned my balls?" line.

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Surprisingly good show. DRN and Jon make a pretty good buddy cop duo, and like some other people have said I forget that Dorian is am android 90% of the time. Then he does some cool shit like chase down and flip a van.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm halfway through episode 2 and I just heard this:

Kennex: You're scanning my balls?

:awesome Made my day.

EDIT: fucking ninjas

17. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Definitely one of the better shows to start this season... I just wish they had aired it all in order. Apparently this most recent one was actually the fourth episode? Which accounts for Kennex suddenly using pain killers and getting his memories amped up again, I guess, but I also want to know WTF is up with the Wall. I honestly haven't been this intrigued by a story development this simple on a TV show in years.

18. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

FYI this show is getting the firefly treatment. With the Olympics and whatnot messing with it's airing and scheduling I hear it's not making it to season 2 even with respectable numbers. It's all hearsay but I don't like it. Its been very fun viewing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  19. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's been great. Although, I do wish that the people in charge of it would stop fucking around with the episode order. The most current one didn't make any god damn sense when you look at the previous episode in context.

20. Rym

Rym Auror

Seriously loving this show. If it gets the axe and doesn't make it to season 2 I'll be pissed.

Kennex/Stahl forever.