1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge 4 by Lord Apophis

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Lord Apophis, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I have a slightly strange challenge I have been unable to get out of my mind ever since I re-read nonjon's story, Dimension Hopping for Beginners.

It is a Harry/Star Trek crossover set around the time of the Deep Space Nine series.

What if Voldemort had managed to become immortal, not unable to die but unable to age and he had then faded away into the shadows to simply allow harry to die of old age before he came back to take control. Harry somehow found out about Voldemorts plan and he worked to become immortal as well.

Now around the year 2380 so do they step out of the shadows and fight once more.

How would the wizarding world be now?

Would all purebloods be gone and they are totally intergrated into the muggle world or are they still almost completly cut off from the muggle world?

Also how would the wizarding world react to half wizard/half alien children?

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm not normally rude, but this idea sucks so much ass, I'm compelled to aim the Sheepstar's Turbolaser at you and...

FIRE!

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its not actually that bad an idea, though Im not sure about the particular universe you want to use. DS9 Im not sure would make a good xover. Might be better to go for jsut setting it in the Star Trek universe, and have them both come out the shadows on earth.

4. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I just meant that it would be set around the time of DS9 but still be on earth.

It does not even have too be in the star trek universe. Any sci-fi series set in the future would do.

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Ah, right sorry, now I understand, yeah, that sounds good, the basic premise of them achieving immortality and then going into the shadows. But would it be the actual shadows they went into? Or would it just be going underground and not attacking each other.

Perhaps it would be that Voldemort went into a sort of trance, unaware fo the real world, before Harry started to perform the rituals, and thus, when he awakes from the trance, to take over the world, he wouldn't know that Harry was still alive.

Just thinking, this could make a good xover with Warhammer 40K.

6. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

It would not have to going into the shadows. Only that both disappere for a few hundred years. Harry would of course know that voldemort was immortal but voldemort would not know about harry.

It would be a good xover with Warhammer 40K now that I think about it :)

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    YOu know, ive been looking for a new fic idea to work on over the summer. This might just be it. Hmmmmmmm. I think I might try to write this.

Want to collaborate on it Apophis?

8. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

So it's just Potterverse in the future, with a powerful Harry?

9. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Fuegodefuerza: Basicly yes but with added sci-fi parts

Mordecai: collaborate how?

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    as in me write, you read before I post.

11. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

ok lets do that...

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Warhammer 40k/HP crossover would kick ass. I used to collect the miniatures when I was younger and Dawn of War was pretty awesome.

The thing about this is, there is way more powerful magic at work in W40k than in the Harry Potter world. Just look at the Chaos Gods. I somehow doubt that a simple Avada Kedavra would work on them.

God, even the humans use pretty strong magic, though not as diverse. The Eldar reanimate the dead souls of warriors and use them in great, hunking Wraithlords and the Orks are just plain barbaric.

Another thing - Voldemort wouldn't be that evil compared to the various races. Humans destroy whole worlds just to stop an Ork infestation/Chaos spawn so Voldie seems just a bit low key compared to them. Take over the world? Bah! There's an entire galaxy with powerful and very advanced races out there!

Other than that I would love to see it done. It'd combine two of my favourite passions - HP and W40k. The joy!

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    i have actually started writing it, and I have a fairly good plan, which will involve Voldie making nasty pacts with demons and featuring Harry as a toughened Inquisitor

14. Khorne

Khorne Second Year

That would be an interesting idea Mordecai, but it would require numerous pages of background, covering the Great Crusade of Millenia 31, then the Age of Apostasy and High Lord Vandire, the reformation of the Assassins, the fall of the Eldar, the Horus Heresy. Then more recent events according to that time line, such as the thee Tyranid Hivefleets, of the reemergence of the the Necrons and more gods ni the C'Tan.

Several bits of back story would be needed to explain the enhancements to Space Marines, all 21 biological changes, the binding of souls for unsanctioned Psykers, and the sheer power of the Inquisition, also it would be a major story point as to which Order Harry was part of, Malleus, Xenos or Hereticus.

You could pull it off by making Voldemort's reemergence of the world and replace High Lord Vandire as Voldemort, looking like Tom Riddle. In both stories they are highly charismatic people who can manipulate and sway people with but a spoken word, yet they have a hidden agenda and are very powerful in their own right. You could then play Harry off as a Sebastian Thor equivalent in the Inquisition.

It could work if you portrayed it in M41.989 during the prelude to the 13th Black Crusade, and Have Voldemort fight Abaddon the Despoiler, and make Voldemort equal to Abaddon who had the favour of Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh and Khorne. Seeing this they could ally together and that could be the match that started the 13th Black Crusade, which was supposedly the bloodiest and most brutal of the Black Crusades. Then Harry could act either at the Cadian Gate as the Inquisition authority there once word of a "Snake faced Demon with extraordinary Psyker powers" got out.

The only major plot holes or problems I could see would be keeping Harry and Voldemort's bodies at or around the physical aspect of twenty to thirty years, so they were in their peak. Also the technical aspects of the equipment on each side, the various guns and weapons, armoured tanks and mainly Spaceships. Getting the details of the the large pieces of technology would be a problem, with size, capabilities and output for each one. Also if Harry plays and Inquisitor then he would have to be ruthless but not a Radical if you wanted him as an official one fighting major power as Voldemort after allying with the powers of Chaos.

The good point to all of this is that weather writing a scene around Harry or Voldemort, the inquisition is as ruthless as Chaos when extracting information, so it does open up some incredible torture scenes using nerve weapons and alien technology.

It would be a great read if done properly, but you would need to get a lot of back story done to properly combine it with any period of 40k, and introducing any character you would need to do a half a page on their atrocities if they are Special Characters. Still, it would be one hell of a fic if done properly, the scale of battle scenes and scope of torture scenes would be a major point for several DLP members, if you did it it would be an interesting read.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  15. Mordecai

High Score:
    It wouldn't have to have a lot of backstory, well, it would if I was aiming for an audience who had never heard of 40K before and knew nothing about it. Rather I am aiming for folk who are familiar with both Universes. SO some small back story will be needed but not overly much.

Oh, and Im thinking Harry will be in Malleus due to his powerful psychic abilities, they would probably have recruited himevtually no matter what Ordo he went into.

16. Amerision

Well, seeing as you gave it a fair bit of thought (I don't know anything about DS-9, but it looks like you do) I take back my flame.

This isn't a Cupdentardish attempt at publicity, but a serious challenge.

Go Ahead. It looks good.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    you know man, if you'd bothered to read the thread at all, you woud have realised that it has gone from being a slightly thgouht out DS-9 xover, to a well thought out 40K xover that is in the process of being written.

18. Amerision

You're right.

I didn't.

After skimming half a pages worth of plot ideas, I concluded that you were deserving of the title 'Homo Sapien', and that you could, in fact, write coherently.

It's just that with all these Neo-Cupdentards, my Bullshit! Alarm is extra sensitive.

Are any chapters posted yet?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  19. Mordecai

High Score:
    NOt yet, im in the process of finishing the first chapter. A warning though, it would be better to be at least slightly familiar with 40K before reading it, as Im not going to spend entire chapters giving information about the UNiverse.

I would obviously do that if Harry was simply time travelling there, but he isn't.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Harry is going to perform a ritual that makes his soul float in the ether until Voldemort awakes. However a problem happens and he wakes up and is born about a century before Voldemort. So he grows up in the 40K universe, accepting things as they are, because while he has the soul of Harry potter, his mind is still a growing child obviously, so he is influenced as any child would be by his surroundings.

END SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I will probably be posting here soon.

20. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Excellent! This sounds like it could turn out to be a pretty decent little fic! But how are you going to get him into magic rather than all of the techno shit that I've heard is in Warhammer 40k. (correct if I'm wrong, which I most likely am. :))