1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned My Lost Youth by Edward A. Masen - M - Twilight

Discussion in 'Books' started by Palver, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

My Lost Youth
    Author: Edward A. Masen
    Rating: M
    Fandom: Twilight
    Paring: None
    Summary: The beginnings of a most unusual family, as told by Edward Masen.

I posted link to this story in "Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]", but I think this story deserves a rec here.

And here it is - the first pure Twilight rec on this site.

It is from the perspective of Edward right after his transformation into vampire in 1918 and follows from there with a bit of exposition in the beginning.

It has no Bella, Jacob or other fucking annoying characters, no romance, only good Edward/Carlisle bromance and mentor/student relationship. Granted Edward is a bit angsty and emo, but reading it from his perspective about vampirism is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Holy shit, I never thought I'd see something like this recommended here.

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Is Twilight knowledge needed? I only saw the first movie, and that mostly amounted to two people staring at each other.

4. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

No, no Twilight knowledge needed.

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm on chapter 12 right now, and it actually expands on the background of the characters, so no prior knowledge is needed. I must admit I'm liking it so far, removing Bella from the story makes it far more agreeable than I expected. Not gonna rate it yet, but I'll come back when I catch up to the latest chapter.

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story is well written. It isn't entirely my cup of tea, but it is not a bad read. Not nearly as sappy as Twilight itself, although it is a little slow moving. That could be the fact that a big chunk of the story took place over only a few days, during a Volturi/Cullen interaction. It was last updated in January of 2012 however, so I'd say it is abandoned.

If this sort of thing is your style, it's Library worthy. If not, well...ehh.

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Surely there is some kind of law that prohibits us from even recommending Twilight fics.

8. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Twilight had potential. Vampires always have potential if you portray them as they are meant to be portrayed, bloodsucking monsters, instead of a reason for people to schlick themselves. I was excited when I went to the first movie, then I actually saw it and heard about the rest of the series.

If someone can write a good twilight fic, I'm all for it. Removing Bella? Sounds like it has already started in a good direction.

9. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I didn't know anyone here actually read twilight?...

10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Never underestimate the lengths a guy will go to for a girl, even to the depths of watching Twilight.

There are also a lot of people that read them just to see what the fuss was all about.

11. Zeelthor

Honestly, to make Twilight not suck, you'd have to take away so much stuff that it'd no longer be Twilight.

12. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    The lore has a lot of potential in my opinion, especially as the 'ruling' vampires (the Volturi) draw their authority from being the biggest mass-murderers on the playground. Vampires in general don't care about humanity, feed with impunity, and are overall sadistic and power hungry. A lot of the Cullen's back story was actually really interesting to read about, especially Jasper's, but she didn't really emphasize it much. This of course, was completely ruined in the books by the sappy (and more than slightly creepy) love story that she fed the readers, and the pathetic character that is Bella. As Fardeki said, a good Twilight fic is possible, and removing Bella from it is probably a fantastic first step to take.

13. Zeelthor

Just use Vampire: The masquerade lore. It's richer and cooler. Oh, and the vampires don't fucking sparkle. Hell, make up your own vampire story.

14. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I really understand why people do not like Twilight. I myself, do not like Twilight.

However, this thread is not about Twilight. This is about a story that has its setting from Twilight. Closely related, but not the same. Hard to tell for some. Point being, either talk about the story or don't. You are not adding anything to the thread by ranting about something that has very little to do with said thread.