1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Don't Look by Gabriel Blessing - M - Evangelion/Slender Man

Discussion in 'Evangelion' started by Dark Minion, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Don't Look
    Author: gabriel blessing
    Rating: M
    Fandom: Evangelion / Slender Man crossover
    Genre: Horror
    Pairing: Misato K./Shinji I.
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 51,016
    Updated: Oct 31, 2012
    Published: Oct 24, 2012
    Summary: 'No no no no no no'. 'Can't run'. 'Always watches, no eyes'. 'Leave me alone'. 'Don't look... or it takes you'. 'Help me.' Shinji already knew all that. He knew it all too well. But there was never anyone there to help. Misato intends to change that. If she can.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8637502/1/Don-t-Look

When Misato picks Shinji up, she notices a man in the background, a tall, slim man in a suit. She realises that something is off when right after the third angle the same man is standing right outside of Shinji's hospital room, deep in the innards of Nerv's geofront. Shinji himself is odd as well. He always looks to the ground, never looks up, never faces anyone directly. And he knows the man he calls the "slender man" - but that's all Misato is getting out of Shinji.

I don't know how well known 'the Slender Man' is. It started as an internet meme in 2009, got some games and eventually some real attempted murder in its name. You don't need to know anything about it, the story is pretty self explanatory.

What you won't see in this story: Evangelions. NGE with Tokyo 3 and Nerv's headquarters is the stage on which the story takes place, but the Evas and the fights against the Angles are only mentioned in passing.

The story starts with Misato picking up Shinji and focusses on the incidents around the appearance of the Slender Man. It ends with Kaji and Asuka arriving in Tokyo 3 as a kind of epilogue. The story is told from several point of views, Misato's, Ritsuko's, and the students' who interact with the Slender Man.

Gabriel Blessing has delivered better works, nevertheless I think it still qualifies for the library. It's a horror story with some really good, perhaps even great moments, and some not so great scenes as well, especially when the author tries to insert some funny elements (i.e. Ritsuko's thoughts when interacting with Gendo). It also could do with a beta reader.

I liked the way the author combined the two 'fandoms' and used the Evangelion setting as a background, though it is on the verge of becoming exchangeable. Shinji says one line that should have been explored further: "The Evas are the only thing that scare him."

All in all I rate it 4/5.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of my standard recommendations when telling people that Gabriel's shorter work is superior to his long-running stories. The horror is well executed and the anticipation builds up nicely.

The lack of Evangelions in an Evangelion fic is a small downside, I agree, but to be fair NGE was never really about the robots. It was about the people, and their neuroses as they interacted with one another in a high stress environment. This accomplishes that admirably, and is something I've reread a few times now due to its characterization.

Solid 4/5

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Yeah, this is one of the few fics that I've read more than once or twice. I'd reckon I've read it at least 5 or more times.

4/5

4. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Great piece of fan fiction, one of the better portrayals of Slender Man in fan written fiction. I felt sorry for Shinji and plain creeped out. His fear and idiosyncrasies come out very well.

The only negative thing I can remember is that while there is a hook it took me a bit of time before I started enjoying the story.

4/5

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Read this one ages ago. For all his shortcomings, GB comes up with absolutely bizarre crossover ideas and somehow makes them seem so damn natural (hell, I remember when I first started reading In Flight, I didn't think it'd work at all - now it's a standard crossover).

It was executed well and managed to avoided any of the usual GB issues.

4/5