1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Global Sticky Index & DLP FAQ [READ!]

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Sesc, Sep 26, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

General Stuff

How do I use the Forums ...?

• For general usage and rules go here. For how to behave, look here.

I just registered and can't post ...
    • To attain posting priviledges, read this.
      If you can't see what's behind the link, you already have (or had) posting privileges. In that case, contact staff.

I did that, but I still can't read WbA threads, and that's all I wanted!
    • That's a pity, if that's all you wanted. The point of the Work-by-Author section is not that you can read stories, but to help authors. Start contributing to the forum, become an actual member of the board, and you will be granted access to the WbA. The required post count isn't high, but we'd like to see you make an effort.

Writing & FF

I want to post a Harry Potter story for review ...

• That's great. Read this and this before you do.

I want to post a review in a story thread, but it says it's older than 30 days, so I can't!

• Yes, and there's a reason for that. Generally, necro-posting is discouraged. One-line comments and prompts asking for updates will get you kicked out of the thread faster than that post you made. On the other hand, if you want to post a detailed review, great! Just tick the box with the warning sign below the editor ("I am aware that this thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.") and reply.

I want to post my Harry Potter stuff for people to comment on ...

• That's what the Work-By-Author section is for. Read this before you do.

I want to post/discuss/review other stuff ...

• We have a place for that too. This is our non-HP section. Similarly, there is a non-HP Review Board and Work-by-Author too, as well one for original works. Read the respective Stickies in it.

I think sniper rifles are a great tool against wizards and ...

• We don't want to hear what you think. Wizards vs. Muggles is a horrible topic, and every possible argument has already been raised. Also, no it's not.

But I read in the HP wiki that ...

• Yes, we know the wiki is shit. Use the HP-Lexicon instead. Other than the books itself, it's the only accepted source.

I want to search the Library for stories ...

• Sadly, the vb search isn't really all that great. That said, there are a few workarounds: You can search the Library by pairings here. You can look for specific fandoms here. You can also search for complete stories/WIPs/Oneshots by using the Advanced Search and entering nothing except the desired prefix. It's also possible to sort the Library forums by ratings. And finally, if you already have voted on stories a few times, Lord Ravenclaw created a nice little tool to recommend you stories.

If you merely want to look up a thread for a story from FF.net, the most precise is entering the story-id as the query.

I want you to help me find a Harry Potter story ...

• Here. The rate of success directly corresponds to your ability to be polite and not a douche.

I want you to help me find some other story ...

• Here. The rate of success still directly corresponds to your ability to be polite and not a douche.

I totally was, but people are being mean about it, like, seriously!

• People aren't being "mean", you just stumbled over one of the three s. DLP has a low tolerance for stupid, slash, and shitty stories. Nobody can help you out, because no one here reads stories like that.

I want to read a story, but it's been deleted on the web ...

• If the thread doesn't say so, PM a Library Mod. If you still want to read it, try our archives here (note: the latest updates will be at the latest page, of course). I'll whack anyone that does a 'can someone get me a copy of ...' and hasn't tried that first.

Politics

I am politically interested and want to talk about –

• Not so fast. Here are the rules. And the gun-discussion thread is there. Keep the gun debates confined within.

Sick & Perverse

What on earth is the Sick & Perverse-section?

• You don't want to know.
    • And even that section has limits.

Mugglenet RPG-Shit

Hey! Look at me! I just got sorted into Gryffindor! Do you want to be friends...?

The Rest

But I have more questions!

• If you really, really have exhausted all Stickies and still want to know something, you may PM a Moderator (for sub-forum-specific issues) or an Admin (for the big issues).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017