1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Flame's challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Egyptian Flame, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Egyptian Flame

Egyptian Flame First Year

I'm really tired of the repeated ideas in all the stories out there, where Harry goes to Gringotts, emancipated by Sirius, hook up with Narcissa or Bellatrix in the bank. If someone picks this challenge, you must be very good with grammer, spelling and would be willing to see this to the end, otherwise please don't bother.

The Challenge:

Mysterious disappearances goes unnoticed but when the boy who lived doesn't show up at Hogwarts for his eleventh birthday, the wizarding world is in uproar.

Harry is kidnapped by someone after he is returned by Hagrid to the Dursley’s home after being taken to Diagon alley for the first time on his 11th birthday and thrown on an island with six other people from different races (vampire, goblin, elf, psychic muggle, ... whatever comes to mind) and is told to survive 7 days if he is to be worthy of knowledge the kidnapper can give him.

*Pairing can’t be H/G or H/Hr or H/Slash. H/Many is welcome but not with all females at the same time.

**Must be 5k or more per chapter.

***If anyone intends to do it, I'd appreciate it if it was posted on ff.net since i don't read anywhere else.

****Make it Original

***** No Super God-like Harry or an Instant Power and Knowledge

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  2. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

It's a nice idea, but you should come up with a bit more backstory:

Why is this guy giving out the knowledge? Is he dieing and wants to continue his legacy, does he want to be a 'father figure' to someone, does he want respect?

Why have these six people been chosen out of all the people in the world? It can't be random, because they each are from a certain race. Are they the most respected in each of their 'worlds,' the most misunderstood, the most in need of this knowledge with different 'fates'?

How is an eleven year old wizard, who just found out about the magical world supposed to survive against these five other, probably more powerful, enemies?

Other than that, it's not a bad idea. It's an interesting and original view on powerful Harry. However, the one thing I would consider changing is the island part. It seems a bit cliché (not in fanfiction, in general) but would be useful for the story. The only thing I can't grasp is the completely empty and undiscovered Island just lieing around, unless it's under protection from wards or charms or something.

Anyway, should someone choose to do this idea, I'd be interested in reading it.

3. Egyptian Flame

Egyptian Flame First Year

1- The other people chosen beside Harry are not to be his enemies. On the contrary, The idea was to help each other to survive.
    2- The reason this person giving the knowledge (I'm leaving his identity up to the person taking on the challenge) is also up to the person taking on the challenge. I had this in mind that they could be an order or something but its not a condition in the challenge. I'm not providing a whole plot for the story just the basics and any person is welcome to take this story to any level of imagination. But as I said, i'm just providing an idea that i'd like to see written as a story.
    3- Obviously, this Island belongs to the kidnapper, not just undiscovered and empty. The island idea may be cliche but its the idea that they are in a place where they must help each other and survive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

It's kinda vague, and I can't see this really stretching too far in the world's timeline.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There are better ways to project a story where a human (Harry) is forced to cooporate with various shunned magical creatures and species (something like the movie "Enemy Mine" would work much better).

This whole setup seems a bit artificial too, with a strong Hand-of-God syndrome, also known as Deus ex machina - where the author pulls some half-baked unbelieveable crap to create the situation he wanted (like the intrusion of deities, accidental dimensional travel, prophecies, oaths etc...)...

Also, I don't see the point of extending this idea past surviving the island; it would then turn into just another AU fic. Given that, the part with Dumbledore and 11 old Harry are unneccessary; If the point is for magical creatures to raise and educate Harry, then there are better ways to do it.