1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lines of Red Death Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Xel, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Xel

Xel Guest

When Voldemort cast the AK it hit Harry in the eyes and then rebounded to cast Voldemort out of his body. Harry however when growing up constantly sees red lines criss-crossing objects and people.

One day when he is a child he picks at a line that is going through the rock and feels the rock give a bit, eventually the rock splits right down the red line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How this ability develops is left up to the author. One possibility is Harry gaining the ability to cut down those lines with his mind. Another possibility is the ability for Harry to also see the lines in magic and thus able to cut spells in half -- although that may make Harry a bit superpowered.

Whether or not the ability affects Harry's childhood is also left up to the author, although I most certainly will not be happy if the author gives Harry the ability and proceeds to have him continually abused by the Dursleys without Harry putting up any sign of a struggle.

Note. If your into writing gory stories this challenge is pretty well suited to your 'tastes' as Harry should in theory be able to cut a person right in half without much effort.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

So, Harry can see the lines of magic and manipulate it? Is that it?

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's already been done... and in a much better way than that.

4. Xel

Xel Guest

Dark Syaoran -

Not exactly. If we take a sheet of glass and hit it with a hammer just hard enough we can see fracture lines in the glass. I'm not a physicist or a chemist but I'm guessing those lines form in a way that is predictable given that we know the exact molecular structure and pressure applied at a certain point. More importantly those fractures form along weak points in the glass - parts where the glass is more likely to break due to defects.

It is these lines of defects that Harry can see. Basically Harry can see the lines where when enough force is put on an object it splits along those lines. Placing that force directly on that line makes it even more likelier to break along it.

IP82 -

I'm sorry if this story has been done before, I've done a few title searches but I haven't stumbled across a story like this.

If you have please share the link.

Xel.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

6. Xel

Xel Guest

IP82 -

I believe you misread my challenge IP82. Harry isn't seeing magic (and I have read Blind Faith -- wish it would update more often.) and neither is he shooting 'death rays' from his eyes.

Perhaps I can restate it a bit better.

Harry can see lines running through objects and people. When he takes a knife and focuses really hard and cuts down these lines -- the object or person is cut apart upon that line like butter.

Why? Does Harry have this sudden ability.

When the AK hit his eyes and rebounded, it opened up his eyes partially to the possibilities of death. I guess you could say that everything (objects and people) have limitless ways of being destroyed/killed. What Harry sees are lines that offer the best way to cut open something, and combined with his magical focus he can cut through anything.

An important note is that Harry can still see fine, everything just has a layer of red lines upon it.

I hope that explains it better.

As for whether or not this ability is suited for the HP universe all I can say is that it is a magical universe and as such anything is possible.

The only thing that might be wrong with it is if someone writes a terrible story with no background reason for said ability. I believe I have given a good enough reason for his ability and it is nowhere similar to Clark Kent's 'laser' eyes.

Xel.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Heh, sorry for jumping on you without properly reading the challenge, that sounds much better when you say it like that. The problem is, this seems too easy. I mean, can Harry just walk over to Voldemort, cut off his thread and be done with it?

This could maybe work as a one shot, where crazy Harry is travelling to the North Pole to cut off planet Earth's thread and destroy the world.

8. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

This sounds like a xover in a different fandom I have read. It involved a character that died and came back with these special eyes that saw black lines that had something to do with mortality. I don't remember the details all that much and I can't find the story again, I think the character was from an anime.

Is that where you got it from?

What you could do is adjust it where it only works on inorganic objects and this ability allows Harry to destroy the horcruxes from a safe distance if the author decides to go that route.

Or Harry could use the ability as distractions in a duel like transfiguration does in most fics, crumbling the ground beneath their feet, ceilings, walls, fixtures, pillars, whatever can be destroyed to disrupt their dueling technique. This frees up his wand for the less subtle but more decisive spells and curses, like a stunner or Avada Kedavra, but does not make traditional wizarding magic null and void.

9. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Hm.

Howabout this:

:::

AU

Timeframe: Childhood -> PostHogwarts

The Killing Curse, the Curse of Death and Destruction.

When the Killing Curse hit Harry, he was changed forever.

The magic of Death and Destruction had a greater affect on Harry than anyone could have guessed.

Growing up, Harry just knew.

Knew how to destroy things. To Kill.

Destroy this and the whole structure would collpse.

Cut here and the person would die instantly.

Do that and chaos would ensue.

Every situation was different, and every situation had its own unique requirement before it tipped into chaos.

And Harry just knew where to push...

Wow, that was pretty confusing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Harry would have the ability to just know how to manipulate things in any situation to cause death/destruction/chaos.

Call it the ChaosFactor.

10. Cypher3au

Cypher3au First Year

That kind of sounds like shatterpoints from Star Wars; shatterpoints could be sensed by Jedi with immense focus and ability, though Mace Windu had an incredible natural talent for doing so. They were perceived like faults in a diamond, and a single 'strike', in this case an action, on said fault could cause events to transpire completely differently than they might otherwise have done. Often, they existed for only brief moments, as shatterpoints could be affected by actions as small as movement.

11. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Necrule Paen I think the anime was called Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Like IP82 said it could work as a one-shot, otherwise it would lose it's appeal quickly.

12. razz

razz Seventh Year

I could have sworn I commented here already ... hmm.

Anyway, I think it's an awesome idea! And Amerision's little spin is just fantastic. I'd love for anyone to take this up!!

13. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Sounds like the Bakusai Tenketsu from Ranma 1/2... though that does not work on animals, only rock, wood, and the like...

Basically you can sense the weakest point on an object and by poking it (and probelly applying a burst of magic/chi), you can make it explode