1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

And the Sorting Hat said...

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by scionofkyuubi, Aug 29, 2006.

1. scionofkyuubi

scionofkyuubi First Year

Okay, just had a random plotbunny pop in my cobwebbed head.

Authors have absolutely killed the Gryffindor!Harry, and most who write Slytherin!Harry are just trying to write some crappy slashfest.:wall: There are a couple good Slytherin!Harry stories, but they're getting crushed by the slash fangirls. I've seen one or two Ravenclaw!Harry stories, but not many. A hilarious example would be So Sue Me by YonderB. Sarcastic, much?

However, in all the stories I've looked up, I have yet to see a Hufflepuff!Harry story.

Challenge: Hufflepuff!Harry, Manip!Dumbledore, Countermanipulative!Harry, optional Weasley!Granger!bashing(in moderation).
    Possible pairings: Harry x Hannah Abbott, Harry x Susan Bones, HarryOC(please, god, NO MARY-SUES!).
    Other Plotbunnies: Time Travel, Grey!Voldemort, Grey!Harry, Believable Animagi Form for Harry.
    Absolutely no: Mary-Sues, SuperCharacters

Ideas?:nazi

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There's very good hufflepuff!Harry story at FanFicAuthors.net. It's called Fidelius.

3. scionofkyuubi

scionofkyuubi First Year

Hmm, I'll look it up, thanks.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I've seen a few more with Hufflepuff!Harry. They arent the best though and the one IP mentioned is probably the pick of the crop.

I'm trying to remember the name of one right now. It's on the edge of my mind but I just cant get it...

It was Harry/Hermione, Harry/OC. Harry had a baby and didnt go to Hogwarts til sixth year or seventh... bleh. Wasnt that great.

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Oh damn, why is that familiar. Roxiesnape is the author...err, Shake Me, that's the one.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Shake Me by RoxieSnape
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2258167/1/

It wasn't only H/Hr, he had lots of different girlfriends and ended up with a vamp chick. Not a bad story, but that baby had completely ruined it. Such an idiotic decision.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I know. That's why I put Harry/OC.

And yes, the baby ruined it.

8. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

If I remember right in "Mastermind Hunting" By Louis X Harry was first sorted into Hufflepuff under an alternative name because he wated to even out the house's and felt sorry for Hufflepuff. The story has some original idea's but has fallen into the trap of over powering Harry and his friends so it has now powered up Voldemort and the death eaters.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Take any idea you can think of, and there's a good chance that Mastermind Hunting has it amongst its 600,000 words...

10. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

I personally don't like Hufflepuff!Harry. To me the Hufflepuffs are just...there.

11. scionofkyuubi

scionofkyuubi First Year

True, but that is the reason I challenged. No one really bothers to notice Hufflepuff House. I often wonder if J.K. perhaps had run out of ideas, so she had to make Hufflepuff a sort of 'dumping ground' for the students of Hogwarts.

12. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I've actually toyed with writing a Hufflepuff Harry story. It begins with Uncle Vernon refusing to drive Harry to King's Cross on Sept. 1. He instead hands Harry some money and a bus schedule. To reach his destination Harry ends up having to take the 4am bus and arrives around 3 hours early. Instead of meeting the Weasleys, he instead meets Cedric Diggory being dropped off by his parents. Cedric helps him onto the platform and gets him into a compartment. When Harry asks about the houses, Cedric explains that Hufflepuffs value hardwork (which Harry can appreciate) and Loyalty as in standing up for your friends. Having never had someone willing to stand up for him, Harry would actually want that. Remembering Malfoy's words in the dress shop disparging the house he opts for it. In my version if I ever write this, there is a sixth year muggleborn who takes Harry under his wing and helps tutor him. This sixth year also recruits a 7th year female clumsy auror wannabe (yes I play with Tonk's age a bit) to help him tutor Harry. As for romance, I actually pictured Harry having a longstanding one sided crush on Tonks starting from his first year. (I think it would be an interesting twist on the Harry/Tonks genre)The four of them go after the stone in a more violent version. If I go the CoS route, I picture the mentor actually getting killed in the Chamber and of course if Cedric's death occurs it will have a more profound effect on our hero.

Jim

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    jbern, bish, write that! It would be an excellent fic, your writing style would suit it perfectly, and it would suit you perfectly.

14. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Yeah, but with two in progress and no end in sight for either of them it is hard to justify jumping into a sweeping rewrite of books 1-6. Besides IP and Nonjon are telling me that I should attempt a bunny that I mentioned in the Bungle thread where the canon version of Luna Lovegood bumps into Ginny right outside of Flourish and Botts and in the ensuing cauldron spilling ends up with the Diary. Follow the adventures of the Diary of Tom Riddle as it tries to possess, coerce, threaten, bribe, and plead with Luna Lovegood to open the Chamber of Secrets.

A sample of the potential dialogue

I was thinking from the Diary's POV -"Here I am a portion of the soul of the greatest magical being that has ever lived and she is using me to prop up a broken chairleg."

"Luna, what do you know about the Chamber of Secrets?"

"I think father mentioned something about it in quibbler, would you like me to read the latest issue to you. I could owl him and find out what he knows."

"No, no that won't be necessary. Would you like to know about the Chamber of Secrets?"

"But if you told me, it wouldn't be a secret."

"Gah!"

"Is something wrong? Would you like me to rub your spine again, Tom?"

"No! Ahh that's the spot!"

The problem is, I am not sure how well I can do straight humor. As soon as I wrap one of my current works I am going to try and do this one in under 40000 words. That said I, do eventually want to do the version of Hufflepuff Harry that I have laid out, but a whole rewrite is simply daunting.

Apologys for going off topic,
    Jim

15. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

lol. that Luna CoS idea was pretty hilarious.

anyway, i completely agree with Mordecai. jbern's idea is pretty cool. the only problem is it would have to be a rewrite from the first book which would be pretty tedious.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, pretty much.

I loved the start of that story, apart from the Good!Dursley thing. I like it when Harry travels the world and I found it interesting that it was the muggle way, not the wizarding way. He influenced a lot of our history which I thought was great.

Soon as he started hauling people with him, it started going down hill. Around the time he started getting his wands and shit, it had hit the floor and made a mile wide ditch.

17. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Has anyone ever heard of a story called Gabriel?

Its a hufflepuff!harry and its very good, set sixth year I believe.

Look it up.

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Gabriel? I thought he was in Gryffindor... unless I'm thinking about the wrong story. They have very similar names anyway...