1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

AU Different Magic Fic

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Inexistence, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Hey guys. While on vacation, I seemed to have a few days of HP related dreams. All but one were ideas for my story but the one that wasn't made me sort of relate it to a game and HP mix.

Here it is from what I have exactly written down in my notebook.

Spells and so on are actually learned by completing missions, allowing abilities to be used. These are classed into 4 categories: Water, Earth, Air and Fire. Hogwarts is a training ground allow people to master basic spells. The missions can be found in several places but given by elemental guardians. Falcon for air, Mermaid/Man for water, A tree for Earth and a phoenix for fire.

If you get to the right place and one of those guardian's is nearby, it will be possessed and give the mission. The mission could be as simple as walking 3 feet or as complicated as killing a nundu. The rarer and more powerful the spell, the harder it is to receive the ability to use it.

Dumbledore has a phoenix, a shrunken mermaid in a bottle, a tree in a plant pot and a pet falcon so that he can always learn new spells. Voldemort has a dark phoenix and the same also.

Certain missions can be completed by 2 or more people but can be attempted by just 1. If 2 or more do it they each get the ability but weaker. e.g: 50 do a mission and the accio ability is extremely weak, barely able to move a feather further than 2 feet towards them. 1 person does it and they can move an elephant 100 miles.

When a person receives an ability they glow the colour of the ability's category, the stronger the ability and rarer then the more intense. Every ability (whish are also spells, curses, jinxes and so on) add magic to your total magical power. A person starts with enough magic to go to Hogwarts or another magical school and they get more powerful the more abilities they receive (this is why Dumbledore is so powerful, he has lots of abilities.) Most abilities are one-time things, but Hogwarts has unlimited chances. Normally, if you fail a mission by exceeding the time limit, you will be bruised and bloody with an ability taken away as a mission for someone else to do. In Hogwarts you can fail and nothing happens, you can try again.

Accidental magic is genetic abilities activating due to intense emotions. Very few abilities are genetics but basic ones such as apparition, inflation, colour changing, levitation and vanishing are common ones.

Wands are not needed in this story but can be included if you want to.

Books are not very necessary in this fic as you can't learn a spell from a book. Hemrione doesn't know this and so will cry and be crap in classes as she doesn't like practical stuff.

Duelling is common but risky. Both combatants decide on a PAR (Power And Rarity) value from 1 to 10 and are given a mental list of abilities at that level which the opponent doesn't have. They each bet that ability and are unable to use the betted abilities. If you win the duel you keep the betted abilities. If a person loses intentionally to give abilities then the betted abilities are taken and distributed around the globe. More than one ability can be betted but both parties must agree to it and nobody can be influenced to do it not of their own will (Imperius would not work).

There are different types of abilities. The are normal spells like the flame charm (This category includes hexes, jinxes and curses), unactive abilities like invisibility and conscious abilities like access to a room or place (These are the only ones that any person can create).

People can give up abilities but they cannot choose where the ability is placed or how hard the mission is. The missions will be put in a random place and given a suitable mission.

If the spell is known to more than 40% of the world's magical population then it is automatically sent to one of the wizarding schools.

When a wizard dies their abilities are spread out as when they give them up. They can choose 3 abilities though and put them in specific places. If it is suicide then this right is removed.

In Hogwarts there are no houses, only teams. The maximum people is 7, the minimum being 1. Teams are put in competitions weekly, and if they win they can pick either to duel someone each, be told the location of a hidden spell or improve their living conditions.

Teams can be named whatever is chosen if previous name is not wanted. Most of the time it is set as years 1-7 on a team so all secrets can be passed down easily.

I want someone to rewrite the HP years, not all of them necessarily but the main plot maybe.

If you need info just ask. I really hope someone takes this up though.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How does what you wrote have bearing to a fic. It might, stress on the might, work as a computer game. but it jsut wouldn't work for a fic.

3. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Yes, it would. It's a total Au, Years 1-7. Instead of all the stuff he did in canon though, the years detail Harry and his team, learning new spells, and trying to complete the challenges.

Then in Fourth year, they decide to have a major tournament, in this Tournament, Voldemort comes back however author decides. Then it gets interesting from there, the challenges become harder, and Harry and his team have to train in order to win the fight.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Heh. Sounds like a possible game but not a story.

5. razz

razz Seventh Year

You dream about Harry Potter? Really?

Anyway, I'm not too sure about this one. It does sound a lot like a game ... but it could work, I suppose. Maybe.

6. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    As much as I like this idea, and I do like it quite a bit, it sounds as though it would fit in a game best. Or an obscenely long training fic, which we have more than enough of.

7. Styx

Styx Third Year

-I would like to add an idea, every house specializes in one branch, although you can learn the other branches too but its harder.

-Books are useful as they can contain information about aquiring rare spells or on more complicated missions(find a new name for that, its too PC,eg. Rite)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You would have to thnk carefully about what branch of magic each house would have access to.

THe more I think about this the more i think you could make this a decent fic witha few changes. Its too themed on computer game just now.

certainly have the fact that people need to train or do specific tasks to learn specific spells, but don't say they need to do missions for it.

Say they need to complete a task set by Hecate or something to be granted access to either a book of their choice of lore or a book of Hecates choice.

Such a task would not need to a mission of the sort you though of. it could indeed be the person bein given some info on a spell and being told to leanr how to use it properly. SOmething of that nature would be good IMO.

Rather than classes, you could have structured and supervised practice sessions and study times. This would make sure that the kids were actually learning, and if they were really stuck they could get a few pointers. it would however be more like a training camp than a school.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Heh. Well I have dreamt about a whole lot of things. Normally its always about the last thing I've done before going to bed. And sometimes thats reading fanfiction, so it does happen.

Heh.

10. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

^Same here - I dreamed of Luna once. Very weird. She was prancing around in Tokyo...

-

As for the challenge...no. I can't see this turning into a readable Harry Potter fanfic. It might work as an original story.

Also, I can't help but think the challenge is influence by Naruto.

11. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

It isn't influenced at all by Naruto as I don't watch, read or whatever for it. I'm thinking of starting soon but not yet.

12. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The first thing i that went through my mind when i saw the word teams was Naruto. Plus the whole mission thing is kinda Naruto-ish.