1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

AU Tom Riddle head of Slytherin, and Mentors Harry Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by The Demented One, Sep 1, 2006.

1. The Demented One

The Demented One Raptured to Hell

Sorry for the terrible title:)
    How about a story where Tom Riddle became a teacher after he graduated. Dumbledore accepted him in the hopes that he would redeem himself, but he was still suspicous of the Dark Lord.

For many years Voldemort rose through the ranks, and he eventually became the Head of Slytherin. Dumbledore was finally convinced that Tom became good. He was dead wrong.

Tom subtly, but skillfully persuaded many students to join his secret army. On 1980, he finally managed to create an army that could rival the Aurors, but Tom lacked a second in command.

Then Voldemort discovered that a child of great power had been born. The child is Harry Potter. Voldemort kills the parents, and he persuades Dumbledore to place the child with his Aunt.

Tom Riddle hoped that a bitter, and lonely came to Hogwarts. Voldemort volunteers to fetch Harry, and he makes a good expression on Harry. The Hat makes Harry into a Slytherin, and from there Harry's path to darkness, and greatness starts.

Rules: No pairings is preferred, but Harry/Slytherin girl is ok.
    Harry must be dark.
    Harry is an outcast of Slytherin, because of he is a half blood.
    Voldemort mentors Harry.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds as though it might appeal to many folk on this site. Certainly it would appeal to me, so long as it didn't have Harry becoming really twisted or anything. And just DON'T let it get into the hands of a fangirl, they will make it TR/HP slash. That is such a nono.

But sounds good.

3. The Demented One

Harry should not be really twisted. I believe that a gradual descent to darkness would be excellent for this challenge.

4. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I would be really interested in reading this.
    At the start he helps Harry just with the school stuff, but slowly he teaches him other things, more darker things.
    I think that could be a real good story, if written by a good author, but could be real trash if written by a bad author(Fangirl)^^

5. CGB

CGB Auror

Yeah, interesting challenge. But Voldemorts army would be too strong, I think. If he was nearly ready to strike in 1980, he would have no problems 10-15 years later. I seriously doubt, Voldemort would stop recruiting.

6. The Demented One

I never said that Voldemort ever stopped recruiting, just that he would concentrate on making Harry his apprentice.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Perhaps Harry should not be an outcast for too long. Let his skill and power earn him respect, much like I believe Voldemort did.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Sounds like a really good idea.

Only thing I dont like is the whole 'army' thing. I reckon he'd have quite a lot of followers, but not an army. He might not have as many, but he'll have follows that are skilled in certain arts.

Snape = Potions. And stuff like that.

9. The Demented One

I made a mistake when I called it an army. What I meant by army is something like the Death Eaters. Not large enough to be an army, but a powerful fighting force.

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    I would suggest that you have Harry have a kindof niave quality. Have him thnk that what he is doing isn't wrong, because he is being told to do and taught it by a teacher.

That could be quite good IMO.

11. Mech Angel.V.2.

Mech Angel.V.2. Second Year

If I was more confident in my writing skills, I would do this. But right now.... Bah.

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

He sounds kinda retarded like that, though. But I get what you mean. Tom would brainwash him into thinking its right anyway. It would be one of the first things he'd probably do. Trying to get him to think along similar lines as himself before actually teaching him anything.

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    TO gain confidence in your writing skills you need to write. If all you do is churn out 50 different versions of chapter 1 in the next 3 months, then it will still increase your skill and confidence, especially if you get a couple of folk helping you, one as a beta for actual typing and structure and stuff, and one as a sounding board for ideas and to hepl you break any blocks you get.

If you do want to try, let me know and Im more than willing to help you in the latter capasity.

14. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

This could be a really good story if done well. But I think that it would be very hard for Voldemort to hide his true nature from Dumbledore when they are working side by side for years, if not decades. It would also be all but impossible to hide the fact that Harry is his apprentice.

15. Little Light

Little Light Guest

I agree with those who said that this would be a great story IF written properly.

Stories about Lord Voldemort becoming young Harry's mentor or father figure makes me happy. And making Harry dark and be a Slytherin, and having Tom Marvolo Riddle as Head of Slytherin House (he can definitely pull one over Dumbledore that's for sure, so I'm betting he wouldn't have a problem hiding his true self from the old coot)...I'd say I'm more than ecstatic! I mean, wouldn't you?

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I propose you consider having TMR be a true Slytherin and not a cardboard bad guy. This is what always struck me as wrong about the whole Voldemort rise to power: he had multiple horcruxes by the time he returned to Dumbledore, so immortality was assured. Why, then, rush to seize power before it was assured? Dumbledore was a threat to him, so why not wait twenty or thirty years and strengthen his position while Dumbledore's weakens? Why not play the long game if he's going to be around for an eternity?

I'd get rid of the whole army thing, as Dark Syaoran mentioned. Instead, have TMR's interest in the Dark Arts position be genuine and make him a model instructor. While at Hogwarts, he makes connections and acquires favor from two generations of up-and-comers, sort of an evil version of Slughorn with a wealth of power he can tap into as needed. Despite their disagreement on fundamental issues, TMR is the natural choice as Deputy Headmaster: he's exceptionally talented magically and a better politician than Minnie. Don't have him start his usurping of the Wizarding world until Harry is in Hogwarts, at which time TMR's message, honed by years of practice, may seem incredibly seductive to a hungry, powerful wizard like Harry. Harry, a prodigy magically and born to a powerful family, could be equally attractive to Riddle as protegé.

This kind of story would work if you make Dumbledore competent, cunning, and, at times, draconian in his methods; TMR, equally so. I'd suggest leaving the Potters alive and estrange Harry from his family somewhat, perhaps over Harry's finding himself in Slytherin and among those the Potters regard as rivals. Lines would start to be drawn in both the Magical World writ large (mirrored by divisions within Hogwarts) as it's clear that multiple someones are pulling strings behind the scenes. Dumbledore's tactics may not be entirely light; TMR's not as dark. Set this up as a murky, ambiguous tale of intrigue and power, one where it's not completely clear who, if anyone, is in the "right."

That's how I'd play it, anyway.

17. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Now you have to write it. So drop your other stories and get cracking.:awesome

18. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

I agree. If not him than someone please...!

19. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Perspicacity's Dumbledore would be perfect for this kind of tale (see Dagger and Rose, if you've not read it). He's extremely intelligent, has a mind for politics and manipulation, and can do intrigue with the best of them. Persp would definitely be my nomination to author, but alas, he does have his own free will.

Voldemort would be a slightly darker, just as knowledgeable, and perhaps more charismatic version of Dumbledore, with his own distinct style. The second side of the same coin, so to speak. He'd have to be written nearly-perfect to make this work.

That said, the story itself would be epic. Think of how long, deep and detail-oriented a project like this would be: intrigue at multiple levels, murky morals from both sides (hidden and less hidden agendas), and (I hate to put it this way, because it sounds so pre-slash) the seduction of the young and powerful/influential to the correct sides of the coming war. Not to mention the differences in the Magical World as a whole. The author would have to take JKR's base, expand on it, and then twist it subtly to fit the universe.

As Harry goes, I'd say make his curiousity a bigger part of his personality rather than make him naive. When he's younger, have the tasks or assignments Riddle gives him be morally ambiguous, and designed to push him to his limits (lessons in secrecy, manipulation, and so on, perhaps even leading Harry to asking Riddle about dark magic, rather than having Riddle parade his knowledge). This should be a very complex process, and one that shows us multiple facets of Harry's character and the process of his immersion in the Dark Arts. Possibly even use Slughorn's quote to Riddle (as seen in HBP) about wizards of a certain caliber being drawn to the darker side of magic as a way to navigate. Making this process seem natural would be hell.

tl;dr: This would take all kinds of time and devotion to pull off correctly. I'd love to see it, and I wish the best of luck to anyone who picks it up.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

To that end, I do not believe horcruxes prevent the aging process. It seemed to me that canon shows that the horcruxes prevented true death in case the body dies (for whatever reason; in canon being violence - from the reflected killing curse), but I don't think they allow Voldemort's body itself to live forever, like the Philosopher's Stone.

That's not really an obstacle though for Voldemort. Even if Voldemort's body does age, canon shows that he has the knowledge to obtain a new body. He would just somehow transfer himself to a new body ala Orochimaru, or create a new one, if he aged to the point of it affecting his magic.

This goes against Dumbledore's philosophy however, so DD wouldn't engage in such magic. He believes that death is the next great adventure afterall, and I don't think he ever desired immortality. If he did, he certainly had plenty of chances considering he worked with Flamel and was in possession of the Philosopher's Stone during the first book.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009