1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Alphabet Drabble Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Aekiel, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hi, my friend came up with a good idea and wrote a Stargate: Atlantis ficlet around it. What she did is to pick a word from the dictionary at random and write a little piece about it.

Here's an example:

Anyone whose seen SGA will understand it and I had the idea of making it into a Harry Potter one. The great thing about it is that pretty much everyone can try it and not be accused of copying!

Specifics are:
    1) Pick a word from each letter in the alphabet.
    2) No more than 400 words per drabble
    3) Can be humour or serious for any letter.

Thats about it, so if you want to try it, give it a go!

Aekiel

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't get it, what is the actual challenge? Ok, its 400 words long (which IMO is pointless) and it has somethign to do with a letter from the alphabet. I mean, really, expand, and give a challenge.

3. Element

Element Seventh Year

Sounds pretty simple to me mate. For example, we start with the letter "A". Then, we look at a dictionary, in the "A" section. We pick a word from that section, and write a drabble based on it. Its quite simple, and I wouldn't exactly call it a challenge, and its a very good way to get those who claim they aren't writers, but actually are, who are afraid of getting into something they can't get out, to write. I like these things - they do them every now and again on DeviantArt and the more intelligent LiveJournals. Pick a phrase, base a drabble around it.

By the way, I dare say if you want to expand your drabble longer than 400 words, Aekiel wouldn't mind..

4. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Absence. It had been a long time since he had seen her face. Her presence lighted up his world and made fighting the darkness just a little easier. When he sank into the depths of depression and thought of the fate that lay before him he only had to remember her smile and listen to her laugh to bring himself around. He remembered the last time he had saw her. She was a vision of the divine, a vengeful and beautiful angel stalking the battlefield and sending her opponents on to the next great adventure, A stray shot from somewhere else on the field ended her glorious reign. She fell, but as she did, the look in her eyes promised she would wait for him on the other side.

He knew what was coming, better than the people that planned it. He had never studied divination as a serious subject, but his visions gave lie to that. Ironically he had started studying occlumancy to get rid of the visions. It had not worked completely, only the more powerful visions got through now but those were more disturbing. People called him crazy but they just did not know the horrors he had to bear witness to. He had woken up last night to experience a vision, and it nearly broke him. His death was coming. He had seen the planning of an attack on his beloved home, on his school. This evening they would descend upon Hogwarts like a plague of locusts before finding him and killing him.

Let the Death Eaters come, he had one last thing to do and he would be ready. He tidied his things and sat down to write a last letter. When he finished, Albus Dumbledore stood and found a student to fetch Harry Potter to his office. That done he looked at the picture of his long lost love Samantha.

"You don't have long to wait now my love. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I am full to bursting. I only hope we complete our journey successfully."

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, now I understand, to me it wasn't at all clear in the OP