1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Lulu's Bizarre Rebellion by Ezit Meti - M - Code Geass/JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Jarik, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Title: Lulu's Bizarre Rebellion
    Author: Ezit Meti
    Fandom: Code Geass/JoJo's Bizarre Rebellion Crossover
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Summary: Lelouch Lamperouge was a boy with an ambition; To one day bring down the corrupt nation of Britannia and create a peaceful world for his sister. However, a single arrow gifted him a power that will help him reach his ambition. Stands... Ripple... A feud between two bloodlines that transcends time... And that's only the beginning of this bizarre rebellion!
    Link: FF.net / SpaceBattles

So I'll preface by saying I've only watched around 5 episodes of the JoJo 2012 remake and I had no issues following this story. It's predominately a Code Geass fanfic, following mostly Code Geass characters with most aspect of JoJo explained. All you really got to know is that JoJo is almost a parody of 1980s nekketsu anime, full of ridiculously over the top and cheesy dialogue, narration and characters that takes itself as seriously as possible. Think an older style Gurren Lagann.

The crossover seems to begin that way too - just a mere parody. It's Code Geass, with the powers from JoJo (Stands) being added in alongside the Geass itself. It does a fantastic job of getting across the narration and dialogue style too, which makes it fun but you don't expect much from it.

But the story is over 540,000 words long with almost daily updates. At some point you realize, this fic is designed to be taken seriously. The plot is complex, the characters are actually quite interesting and the world is well developed. It becomes interesting without trying to be dark, emotional or too thematical - it's always got this optimistic uplifting feel of seeing a variety of characters tackle various weird and strange challenges and obstacles.

Unlike most Code Geass fics, it doesn't simply rehash the canon plotline and battles. With the advent of Stand, all sorts of different situations pop up. Each arc is fun, highly varied and interesting. I've found some of the events and scenes are some of the favourite I've read in the fandom. Each arc is imaginative, has its own unique problem to solve and some great, colourful characters to get involved with it.

The highlight of the story though, is the characters. Both quality and quantity.

This is the first fic I've come across that somehow manages to give almost every character a chance to take the spotlight. And they really do shine, in their own exaggerated JoJo-esque way. I've never come across a Geass fic that gives half of these characters anything more than a canon fodder role.

Shirley. Nunnally. Darlton. Viletta. Ohgi. Mao. Kewell.

Shirley is actually one of the main characters and she's absolutely fantastic. Kewell is an ongoing antagonist who is one of the most interesting ones I've come across in the whole Geass fandom.
    That's of course, in addition to a reasonably written Lelouch, Suzaku, Kallen and CC, and a fantastic Cornelia and Euphemia.

Each one have their own POVs which are really interesting to read. And somehow, you never get to the stage where you feel "I really don't give a shit about you, I want to read what's happening elsewhere" because almost all subplots are engaging and unique.

The Britannians are as much heroes as the Black Knights. Still at each others throats, but doing their best to learn how to fight Stands and unveil the mysteries of Geass with naught but technology and their military might.

It can be a bit of a slog in the early chapters, mainly because it's quite wordy through some of the arcs as the author tries to get across that over the top JoJo narration, but as the story moves forward, that wordy style starts to be heavily trimmed to a manageable level.

Overall, a full length, plot heavy and refreshing Geass fic that joins a handful of other fics as being the only decent ones to read in a massive fandom that only caters to B-grade cheesy romances. The best thing about it is, each chapter and each arc seems more interesting than the last. It improves, instead of going downhill.

4/5, but I would really highly recommend this story to anyone who enjoys the fandom. It's like nothing you've read before.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I've attempted to read this one more than a few times but I always get hung up early on and stop for reasons I can never remember. I suppose I'll give it another shot.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Definitely worth it. It started off as something I nearly dropped several times (only continuing due to boredom) to one of my most anticipated updated (for something updated on a daily basis too).