1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Watcher's Holy Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Dragon Watcher, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

-Sorry if I'm doing this wrong but this is my first challenge.

Challenge # 1

What if Harry was not like most Wizards. Not in some mystical ability that only he can do, or that over all the challenges in his life finally caught up and pushed him over the edge. What if harry was a Christian?

The challenge is that the Dursley, upon finding Harry on there foot step decided to give him to the church to "cleanse" of his freakishness. Only the church doesn't believe that all magic users are heathens that should be punished for their dance with the devil. Instead they send Harry to be trained as a Wizard Paladin, teaching him light and dark magics and the fabled Holy magicks of the church (Light does not mean Holy).

Rules:
    * Harry must not be with the Dursleys past the age of 5.
    * Harry must be a virgin as believed by the church unless justified.
    * Harry must know how to use a sword but doesn't have to carry or use one.
    * Harry may or may not hate Vampires or Werewolves
    * May cross with Hellsing
    * Church can be Catholic or Protestant
    * Harry must act like a reliques man of war (last rights and no problem with death)

or

Rules:
    * Harry must not be with the Dursleys past the age of 5.
    * Harry must know how to use a sword but doesn't have to carry or use one.
    * Harry may or may not hate Vampires or Werewolves
    * May cross with Hellsing
    * Church can be Catholic or Protestant
    * Harry must act like a reliques man of war (last rights and no problem with death)
    * Harry may be like how the knights of old act and sleep with women without singular interest in one woman

2. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Does ff.net allow religion to play a role in stories?

3. bloodmage

bloodmage Backtraced

LOL! Your idea is so hilarious, I'm laughing my ass off.

Christian Harry... hahaha. Somebody should write a humor fic about a fanatically religious Harry.

"So Potter... Do you want to join me?" Voldemort asks.

"Never!"

"Why not?"

"Shut up heathen!"

4. Dragon Watcher

Exactly! It could go both ways! one where it's more serious or another where it's mostly humor along the lines of So Sue Me or serious like A Life Alone. Those where the names that popped up in my head when I thought one or the other.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, I like this. Would the church have others like him, forming a whole division of holy wariors under their command? Maybe you could have them fight against magical Al Qaeda (EDITED) or something...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  7. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

It's Al Qaeda or Al Qaida btw, ip. Both can be used.

This is a good challenge. Assuming someone picks it up (assuming, of course. we have loads of challenges being picked up every day! mmhmm. Tons. Lots of them. Hundreds.), it'll be a good mix of controversiality (religion always makes it like that), action, and all the other good crap.

As a sidenote, religion IS accepted at FF.Nuts. If they have God/Lucifer graphic slash fics from the Bible on their database, then yeah. Religion should be okay.

Of which they DO have a sickening amount of said genre. Ew.

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Well. The idea is very good. But I have one small problem. I think that, Harry's guardians wouldn't tech him Dark Magic. Lets face it. Dark Magic is EVIL! (well, acording to Roman Catholic Church all magic is evil, but that is not the point). Why, they would want to tech one of their soldiers to wield a powerful and dangerous force that can corrupt you? No way. Also, another thing. Paladins where the Twelve Peers of Charlemagne. I think the better word for this kind of function (an wizard warrior on the service of Church) would be an Crusader or Knight of some new order, dedicated to fighting the wizards, witches and magical beasts.
    Holy Magic. Well, isn't an oxymoron? I mean the "Holy" is something sacred, saint, pure, etc. and "magic" is... well... evil? (acording to the christian view). But if you insiste on this name I would like to know what is the difference between Holy and Light magic.

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    I think a good definition would be that Light magic affects the body without evil intent, but Holy magic affects the Soul without evil intent or affect.

A lot of magic would be neutral IMO. And I would imagine that the reason only the church's warriors would use Holy Magic is that there is some sort of secret to it, and also there is the over riding belief in the Wizarding World that soul magic is evil. Things like exorcisms that affect the Soul without damaging or harming it would be Holy Magic.

I like the idea of an Order of Holy Knights. Perhaps you could have them as the Templars, play on the myth that they still exist. It could be good if they were a non-denominational Order, and that all Christian Churchs around the world acknowledged their right to operate and act both in sight and in secret within their boundaries. Maybe if you wanted a slight humourous slant on it you could have it that there is like one chapter of Christianity that doesn't accept their jurisdiction, like Southern Fundamentalist Baptists or Jesus Christ's Church of the Latter Day Saints, or something like that, just for humour sake.

Before doing this fic you would have to think carefully how much religious mythology you would want to use. Do you want to involve the Devil and the demons of Hell? That sort of thing. But it could be an interesting fic.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Nice description. But wouldn't the name of Holy Magic sugest something imensly powerful? Like miracles? Let see what each kind of magic can do:
    Dark Magic - with it you can split your soul and raise dead to do your biding
    Neutral Magic - creating wardsa that will protect your house and all the other fun stuf
    Light Magic - something realy powerful
    Holy Magic - bringing the dead back to life (Jesus and the miracle of Lazarus). Also I think that Holy Magic should depend on the faith of the caster. It is basicly an God intervention into our reality.

I think that, even in times like now - in times of dialouge between the churches, such organization wouldn't work. To who she should report? The Pope? (East Orthodox Church would not accepte it). East Orthodox Church? (The Papal State and Protestans would not accepte it). Personally, I think that Roman Catholic Church is best suited for this kind of organization. Vatican City have one of the biggest libraries in the world (famous Vatican Archives), have spies everywhere (every bishop have to report to the Vatican City at leat once a year) and is rich as hell.

11. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Sounds like a good challenge to me. I think the christian!Harry would allow for a consistent characterisation throughout.

When I first read the challenge, I immediatly made a comparison with Silas from The Da Vinci Code in the way that he has been saved by the church and as a result has unwavering loyalty to it. I think it would make a really interesting story

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    About the miracle aspect of things, perhaps all Jesus did was reinstall Lazarus' soul? Thus is stays as soul magic. I have no doubt you could heal with Holy Magic as well. Perhaps all physical imperfections leave a scar or wrinkle or something on the Soul.

And you're right about the Roman Catholic Church being best for it. Maybe if by treaty the Order has authority in almost all Christain areas.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like a good idea - Christian!Harry would certainly be interesting, I even almost wrote one myself once, and even had the idea of Holy magic as well, but abandoned the idea after the prologue was written.

It would have to be a hardcore, smite-all-unbelievers, violence-is-OK-in-the-name-of-God type of Harry though, not a Jesus meek and mild figure.

You also have the problem of "Is Harry right?" Will God actually exist in this story, and is Harry right? Or has Harry been misguided and manipulated by the church, and is simply being used by them, and there are no heavenly powers?

Both ideas would work, though a middle ground would probably be best.

If you say that God doesn't exist in the story, then it will somewhat remove some of the power of Holy magic, which is one of the cooler ideas in this story, and the heavenly (and demonic) powers, which are also quite cool .

However, if you say that God does exist in this story, then it removes a lot of the peril, knowing that a supreme being is on Harry's side, and that even if he does die, then he goes to heaven...not exactly a bad thing.

So a mixture between the two would be best - there will be some kind of heavenly powers and holy magic, and there is a God figure who is the leader of heaven, but this heavenly power cannot have ultimate power, even if they have a lot of power, and there must be some kind of threat to them as well as Harry.

Perhaps an idea could be nicked from Pullman and Voldemort could be considering starting a war on heaven?

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Only story like this I've seen was that humor story, Harry Christ, which was full of lulz.

This sounds like a serious idea though. It would be better if it was.

15. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Recently I have read two polish fantasy novels that deals with God, heaven, angels, Devil, hell and pagan gods. In the first one - God have left heaven with saints and Metatron (an angel who could create new angels just by using his voice) and have left everything in the hands of archangels. The Archangels, with the help of Lucifer (commonly know as "Night Stand Lamp") and Asmodeus (know as "Rotten Boy" - owner of biggest chain of brothels, cassinos and pubs in Limbo) run the entire business. And they are preparing for the coming of the Anti-Creator. This could be an idea to describe the enemy of God, which is powerful as Him and is a serious threat to all Creation.
    In concluding I would said that if you want to pull Voldemort fighting against the heaven (stupid idea on his part) he should follow the Anti-Creator (also stupid idea).

I think not. As we know, there isn't any magic that can bring dead back to life (inferi doesn't count). And I have brought that example of Holy Magic because Jesus, not only brought Lazarus from the dead, but he also healed his body and spirit (being in hell for couple of days sure leaves an scars on your soul).
    Also I think that Holy Magic is more based upon faith of the caster and it is more into rituals, than wand waving. For example - an simple act of Holy Magic would be when the Jews in egyptian slavery painted their dors with blood of young lamb so the Angel of Death would leave the alone. It could be an simple magic or it can be an Holy Magic - because it deals with being from another plan of existence (heaven and hell). Another example - the most powerful ritual in the Holy Magic - self-sacrifice - the Jesus crucifixion. By his own death, he opened the Gates of Heaven for us.

(I know that I may sound like some preacher, but who cares. I am Roman Catholic and I am proud of it ;) ).

16. Dragon Watcher

I originally pictured Harry as part of an order that was officially part of a conglomerate of different churches with a Head in the group. Not under a specific church when it comes to higher powers on earth.

My idea of Holy magic was that only that order knew of the spells and rituals but, faith was needed to use such spells without serious backlash (KILL ALL THE NON-BELEIVERS and what not)

If God was shown in the story i thought him as the type that does small miracles and sat back try to let us learn from our mistakes.

17. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

This challenge is absolutely excellent. I'd actually LOVE to see this written by a good author. Brilliant idea, especially that the Church has their own books of spells, etc.

I'd actually love to write it, only I don't really know enough about the Church. If I could gloss over the religious aspects...oh, giggedy.

/me drools

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

As long as the whole 'Church side' of things isnt over-powered and z0mg, s0 1337.

That'd ruin a good story.

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    Yarrgh, do it man! You're by far a good enough author to do this fic!

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...If you didnt notice, he has other stories to write.