1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Void Sorcerer's Dark Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Void Sorcerer, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

Challenge #1

Harry was twenty years old when he found the last of the Horcruxes and destroyed Voldemort in the final battle. He has spent the last three years going from place to place, aiding those he can and helping out with the well fair of others to make the wizarding world a better place.

Harry has a dark secret though, one that he has not told even his most trusted friend. In the end of the duel between himself and the Dark Lord just as the final blow was being struck, Voldemort had left three last words; words that had reverberated around in Harry’s head ever since then. “You’re like me!”

Defeating evil for the past three years leaves Harry wanting for the redemption that he seeks. After all, when one murders there other half, death is the only thing that can ever atone for it. So Harry creates a plan in order to get rid of his grief.

Realizing that he has never had a challenge such as what he did when facing Voldemort, Harry realizes that he is going to have to become that which he hates beyond all things in order to accomplish his goals. Turning away from the light, and learning the deepest and darkest of spells Harry prepares himself for the offensive. Looking for an opponent to challenge and defeat him in a one-on-one duel, Harry begins his transformation to the dark, looking to atone for his sins.

Instead of executing the various dark wizards from around the world that he is sent after, he captures them and skillfully brings them to his side. Setting up death scenes and executions, he is able to sneak away the most deadly and evil of servants around the world, and slowly start to raise his own army.

Using his fame/Money/Connections Harry is able to smuggle/gain the items that he needs in order to equip his troops with the war gear that they need in order to start his campaign. Setting up his own variation of the Dark Mark, Harry begins his conquest of terror, looking for the hero that will be able to defeat him and take his life.

Rules:
    1. Harry must betray everyone he loves except the person he is currently dating. This person may not be Luna Lovegood as he character is way too overused as of late.
    2. Voldemort/Dumbledore is dead. That is it; they are not coming back end of discussion.
    3. Harry is not into “cutting” or any of that other Gothic or Emo crap.
    4. Harry has full knowledge of the workings of the Aurors/hit wizards/etc. systems as he is one of the people to help set them into place. Harry will use this to his full advantage until another system is put into place, and he will cause major chaos/damage/panic because of it.
    5. Harry has created a new name for himself, (Such as Tom used Voldemort) and the wizarding world is unaware that it is in actuality “Harry Potter” leading the new war against them. That is until a new head has been put into place, and the war really heats up.
    6. After revealing himself at last, Harry will begin his look for the one who will be his “equal” and vanquish him, or die in the attempt.
    7. The muggle world still knows nothing about the wizarding world. (Except the heads, like the prime minister) And they are not superior to wizards in everything.
    8. Guns do not work in the wizarding world, as they are not magic, and it interferes with them.
    9. Wandless magic does not exist except for small trivial things. It is not used as wtfPWNED!!! and is only used for light things.
    10. The good guys, while having their strategies and techniques revealed are not complete and utter pusses that most authors make Death Eaters out to be. And Harry on his own is not capable of taking out 46 on his own.
    11. While Harry’s powers are on a higher level then other wizards, he is not immune to their magics or incapable of taking damage. While he may be a better dueler and have more strength he can still take battle wounds, and need time to recover like any other person.
    12. Harry does not instantly know all the dark spells in the universe and is able to use them right away. (You could even have him steal Voldie’s knowledge if you like.) And even if he does learn them, it will take practice and hard work on his part before he will truly “master” them.
    13. The “Chosen One” or person who is going to face Harry in the end is going to be a female character. (Harry was a boy, so I want this time round to be female!) She will have to go to Hogwarts, and can be named whatever you like, with a history and skills of whatever you come up with.
    14. Her age does not matter, (I would suggest mid teens however. 15-17 sometime in there) though she is not a genius who excels at everything. She needs to have much the same learning style Harry did. (Excels at Defense against the Dark Arts) Though you can shape her personality any way you like and place her in the house that suits her best.

2. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

wow. this is just almost the same story as canon but this time harry is the bad guy and from the looks of it, the story is going to be really, really long. If anyone was going to do this challange it would possible be abandoned in the long term run.

3. invisdible

invisdible Second Year

Seems like it would make for a good story; however, I don't really understand Harry's rationale in wanting to be defeated by a chosen one. Once we get past that little hitch however, Dark Lord Potter (or whatever his handy anagram is) will get us to the fun parts.... although a "Bad End" at the end of the fic is a foregone conclusion (Harry loses either way; either he gets his wish and dies, or he takes over the world and is emo) getting there should still be a good read.

On the subject of story length and abandonment, yes this sounds like an epic.... but since so few challenges are taken up in the first place, that doesn't seem like something to worry about. :sigh:

If a competent writer wrote this, I would definitely read it.

4. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

It could be pretty interesting. However you would have to expand Harry's dark secret. Why would hearing 'your like me' make Harry want to go out and vanquish somebody and at least look like he is trying to take over the world. At this time their probably is no prophercy so whats his motivation?

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Because of his entire life, what it was building up to, I suppose, and then it passed and he has basically nothing to live for, nothing in his seven years at Hogwarts would have prepared him for a normal life- only a life of misery and pain. ;)

6. Void Sorcerer

Surarrin nailed it right on. After Harry has defeated Voldemort, which everyone likes saying has a child hood like he did, he has no point. Voldemort was his opposition, his other have really and without that, what is left for him?

Dumbledore decided to become Hogwarts Headmaster, after he defeated Grindelwald, but that is something I'm not sure Harry would enjoy.

As for the novel length or abandonment, not much I can say on that. It would have to be taken up by an author who can write well, and is actually determined to finish their stories probably or else it probably will be abandoned.

As for the ending, hell that is up to the writer as there are so many ways that you can take it. Don't be short sided and say that if Harry wins, the world is over, for all we know "If" harry wins, he could be seriously injured and have his soul sucked out by a dementor as he is unable to defend himself.

Perhaps the heroine of the story is better then Harry thought, and in the end defeats Harry and "gives" him something worth living for and converts him back to the way of light.

There are two different endings, and who knows how any others there are. Like I said it is up to the author.

7. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I tell you what, I am intrigued by this challenge.
    Hmm, after I finish my current story, I just may take it up.......
    It doesn't have to be too long- I say no more than 120k words- maybe 30 or 40 to the build up of becoming dark- another 40 for the war- and the last 40 for the "equal" - basically what Harry does when he learns of her. (Prophecy maybe?)
    Hmm.....potential, this has....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  8. invisdible

invisdible Second Year

Finish your Azkaban fic first, Shezza, I beg of you! Don't let it join the list of awesome stories you abandoned just when they got awesome...

9. Void Sorcerer

lol, sadly Shezza I must concur with our friend here. Please do finish your other story. But after you do that, I would be exceptionally proud to have such an excellent writer such as yourself to take up the challenge and work it out.

10. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Oh yeah. I defiantely plan on finishing it. Trust me, I won't even consider to start this one until I do. But still, it's an intriguing idea that I'll have to think upon later, when I have more time.

11. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

This is just an amazing idea for a story and it gave me goose bumps just reading it. If done right it could easily reach the top 20 of the best Harry potter fics out there.

The transformation can be easily explained by harry still felling Voldemort's presence in his scar ( you could use that to make Harry mind rape Dead! Voldemort)

Shezza, I must agree with the others and say that you should probably wait to finish your Azkaban fic before trying to write this one

12. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Hmmm...somehow I don't find this very stimulating. It just sounds like a fem!Harry where Guy!Harry from another dimension does not appear(Complex wank-off theory). Only Harry seems to have taken Voldemort's place.

13. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

This is why i don't read Shezza's stories at all. No offence but i get disappointed when you don't finish something. Heck, i only read like 2 to 3 chapters on the Azkaban fic.

I gotta admit, it would be interesting to read this challenge, "if" done right.

14. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

Like a few mentioned before me, this would just me HP all over again except for a female Harry and a Harry Voldemort.

Harry was never meant for a normal life so he devices a plot that SHOULD eliminate him in the end (to atone for his grief). He gathers a powerful army and takes over the role of Dark Lord and hopes that a new "Chosen One" appears. However, there is the slightest possibility that the next "Chosen One" wouldn't have enough of what it takes to defeat him. If this happens, then Harry's plan of ending his pain ultimately fails. So, how about a little tweak in the idea. What if Harry leads two lives?

After defeating Voldemort he re-enters society to earn himself a lot of respect, power and connections. He eventually becomes the new age Albus Dumbledore, the ultimate defender of the people who also teaches at Hogwarts. However, he would also secretly walk the path of the Dark Lord gathering knowledge, influence, an army and all the stuff you could relate to menacing power.

He would have two phases in his plan for redemption:
    1. Since he would be all so powerful being the former "Chosen One," no one can really defeat him. He then has to force Magic and Fate to create an entity that has the potential to defeat him.
    2. To ensure his redemption, he must be 100% sure that the new Chosen One can and will defeat him in the end. He must make sure that there would be 0% chance of him winning against the Chosen One when they both give their all in the final battle.

This, then, is what he is going to do: When time comes, he unleashes his army that would wreak havoc in the Wizarding World, which forces the threads of Magic and Fate to spit out anothe Chosen One to restore balance. Phase 1 is then complete.
    Phase 2 would require him playing Dumbledore. His respect in the community increases and when Phase 1 is complete, he'll use his popularity and social standing to pull the strings. When the Chosen One goes to Hogwarts, he'll be her mentor. He doesn't have to be Headmaster to be the mentor. He could be the DADA, Transfiguration or Charms teacher who dotes on a favorite student. He teaches her everything he knows (dueling techniques, blah... blah... including the dark arts). However, part of him teaching the Chosen One would be moderation in using the Dark Arts (cause its addictive and he wouldn't want a follower). Eventually, the Chosen One would become his very equal in power possibly more. When final battle comes, they are equal in everything but the Chosen One winds up as the winner (the students always eventually gets to surpass his teacher cause the student will have tricks up his sleave which the teacher doesn't know about).

Well there goes my contribution to your idea.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I can actually see the Darklord!Harry giving an opening for his Chosen one to smite him.

16. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

What kinda warped and twisted logic is this? firing a gun is a chemical reaction. If Magic was able to interfere with that then it would be much much more difficult to brew potions as they are nothing more then chemical reactions. now if there was a spell that specificly prevented chemical reactions or in some way prevented the gun from firing then you would be in buissness.

This idea is more inspired in my humble opinion.

17. Void Sorcerer

Now not to be a pain in the ass, lets face the facts and read what I posted. As I said nothing, in my post that you couldn't do Wetnurse' idea, if you have the inspiration go for it.

You can make the plot whatever you like as long as you follow the simple rules that I laid out, as long as it follows that, go for it!

That is a great idea that would work perfectly with the story, so I would be glad if you where to take it up and go for that, just take the idea I have given you. And when he comes back after the three years, say he takes over Hogwarts or some such thing.

As for the problem about guns....lets not even get into that. If you don't like it, don't do it. I am not going to get into an argument over the reasons why guns are retarded in the Harry Potter fandom, and why we haven't seen any as of yet.

Sorry 'bout the bad attitude, I am not in a good mood tonight.

18. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

The only thing that bugs me about this theory is that the student surpass the teacher because the student have tricks up his sleeve that the teacher does not know about.

Instead make it more equal, Harry's power and experience against the students power and youthful energy.

Which will win first? The student that is young and has more stamina so can keep going for a longer time or Harry who has decades of experience?

19. CrashLTD

CrashLTD Fifth Year

Yeah. That bugged me too. I guess I was typing without much thinking. Surarrin's right. They have to be equal except for experience and stamina. I guess he does give an opening that would get him killed (the only thing about it is that the person who would exploit that opening has to be really skilled so that it wouldn't be such an insult to Harry).