1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge 11 by Lord Apophis

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Lord Apophis, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

This is something I have been thinking about for a while now and has decided to post it...

A hopefully original use of the "harry is sent back in time to train" storyline.

During one of the Hogsmeade weekends in Harry's sixth year is harry in the
    middle of a Death Eater attack and is held captive by 2 Inner Circle Death Eaters while Voldemort is chanting in a strange language and a portal opens
    and Harry is thrown into the portal.

The portal is to the past, Voldemort sent harry there so he can live out his
    life, not being able to return to his original time.

The Rules:

Harry must be sent back to before Hogwarts was created, he must not have
    a part in the creation of the wizarding world or meet anyone famous as the Founders or Merlin. (Before Hogwarts were magical children taught by their parents and if they wanted to learn more did they get a apprenticeship and muggleborn children were not trained unless found by a wizard or witch.)

Harry must get apprenticeships in Spellcrafting, Ancient Runes and Arithmancy as it helps his research into finding a way to getting home. Harry will not focus on combat, he will pick up skills along the way but his main focus is spell creation and research to get home.

Eventually after a few decades does he begin to experiment with The Dark Arts to find a way home. The Dark Arts are in short term addictive and long term corrupting to both the mind and soul.

There is a magical artifact called Orbs of Stability that are semi-solid magical orbs that purify your magic to avoid the dark magic taint.

Harry must be over one hundred years and under one hundred and fifty years
    when he finally manage to create a ritual that will place him in stasis until he is in his correct time again, the ritual require the sacrefice of 100 wizards and witches.

Even if Harry is not corrupted by the dark arts by that point will he be ruthless and willing to do almost anything to get home...

Once home must harry not regain his friendship with Ron, Hermione, Ginny and the rest as he is well over one hundred years older then them. Also while he is skilled at what is now called Ancient Magic so does he not know anything about the magic and spells invented in the past 1000+ years.

2. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

This sounds interesting. You could certainly take a different angle with Harry and make him less of a duelling-master-blood-thirsty-killer and more of a scholar, and there are lots of ways that this could be bent, but overall I don't really see much of a guiding plot. In some ways it seems like it might end up like most of the "going back in time to train plots", just much further back in time. It's good to see that he's handicapped in some ways by his missing knowledge of spells in modern times, but any thoughts on what would happen once he returns to the future?

3. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

Sorry dude, I agree with DreamRed their really isn't much for you to go by with this challenge? Just having him go back in time, not especially doing anything interesting but looking for a way back home? Your saying he isn't going to become a great dueling master, and if that is the case; there probably isn't going to be all that much action in the fic.

He is going to slowly become addicted to the Dark Arts, but big deal if he doesn't have the dueling skills to actually put them to good use. Plus the fact that even if he does become corrupted, you are putting in the orbs of whatchamacallit to prevent him going Avada on their ass!

Become a mathematical genius and spell creator? Big deal, he won't have the skills to use any dueling ones that he comes up with for self defense. He is only looking for a way home? Bah, just have him take over this world!!!

Not meeting the founders or Merlin, I can see that. (Although Harry/Rowena is a pretty pimp pairing. Raven if you read this I command that you update!) Although, would it not make sense that he would seek out such individuals as they probably could help him more then others as they are freaken legends?

What is the point of him even trying to go back to his own time? If he has forgotten all the stuff he had learned in his time, why even bother? He is going to be over a freaken hundred years old upon his return, and he is the one who is going to have to defeat Voldemort.

He isn't going to be much of a fighter as we have established, so it doesn't sound like he is going to stand a snowballs chance in hell. Not going to relate with his friends and such? I can see this, as he would be older and not put up with their childish acts, but who is he going to relate to? Dumbledore is dead, and it's not like Harry is going to have any leadership skills.

So what is the point of him even coming back? "Hey guys, it's me Harry. Don't you recognize me?" The old man smirked at there astonished looks. Spends a day jerking off with them, discussing all his fun adventures that he had some how come across during his book work and goes to bed. Next day in Diagon Alley on their way to search for new modern day clothing and such for Harry to wear Voldie and his DE's show up to have a little fun.

"Ah! I see that you have returned Potter, I’m impressed I did not believe that you had it in you."

"Indeed I have Tom, but can we simply not give up this old rivalry and go on with our lives in peace?"

"'Fraid not! AVADA KEDAVRA!"

Glancing at his two friends, "What does that spell do again?...."

-Void

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It's an OK challenge, but like with most time-travel-to-train ideas, the problem is this - the plot starts AFTER the time travel thing.

Let's face it, after thousadnds of words of interesting historic descriptions, unusual training and search for magical objects/lore/research, mere fight against Voldemort will seem awfully dull... That's why very few authors who start stories like this ever manage to complete them (in fact, I can think of none).

But yeah, the time-travel part here is rather well thought out, even if it does resemble Lord Ravenclaw's second story a bit...

5. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Apophis does say that he will not regain his friendship with Ron, Hermione and the rest. I can't completely agree with you on the non-brilliant duellist thing, because even if he isn't a great dueller then he'll still have a vast reportoire of unknown spells at his disposal, several of which he will have created himself with specific ideas in mind. It never says he'll be an awful dueller, just not an almighty good one. It might present a challenge to the writer to get him to defeat Voldemort with a bit of guile and planning rather than straight up combat too. He won't necessarily forget the spells he's learnt, in fact a smart Harry would realise he isn't going to learn them and write down all the ones he knows. Still, I suppose the point rests if you like a lot of action - which is unlikely to happen with this characterisation, although it could potentially still be done with a decent set of action scenes and a scholarly Harry.

6. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I had figured that it would be a slightly longer then normal prologue that explains how he was sent back in time, what he did and how he finally manage to make it back and then have the main story take place in the correct time.

Also like some others have said so just because Harry focused on being a schoolar to be able to return to his own time so does it not mean that he has not picked up things over the decades. It is just that his main focus has not been on dueling.

Void Sorcerer: Harry was sent back during the middle of his sixth year so Dumbledore is not dead. Harry is more of a schoolar so he allows Dumbledore to remain the "Lead Light Wizard" and only focus on defeating Voldemort, allowing other more skilled to plan the attacks and other such things.

Also it is established that powerful wizards can live for a long time, Harry should at least be around Dumbledore and Voldemorts power even if he is not as skilled at Dueling so despite being around a hundred years old so would it be like he was in his mid fifties to early sixties.

7. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

How is this well thought out?

Voldemort: HAY GUYS WE GOT HIM LETS SEND HIM BAK IN TYME. KEKEKE

8. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Shuujaku: Voldemort hardly decided to send Harry back the second harry was captured, he spent months creating a ritual to send him back in the past and then waited until the perfect oppurtunity to capture harry.

9. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

So he spent months being a f-tard as opposed to moments. Kickass.