1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite PC game

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by DGD, Nov 13, 2005.

1. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Favorite PC game?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I don't play PC games that much, only played Starcraft and Warcraft. Probably Warcraft was my favorite.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Starcraft was the best back in the day. Really the only PC game I fully got hooked on and played online.

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

the civilization series wasnt too bad... there were a few others i liked but cant remember the titles...

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Without a doubt

Asheron's Call, years 1999-2001

The first MMORPG I played, I was on the Frostfell server, eventually running with most of the big players/clans on there.

Unlike most other MMORPGs, like Ever-suck, you didn't have to camp for hours and hours just to get stupid items that helped you. Your worth as a player was part skill placement, part managament.

You could go solo dozens of monsters, provided you were built right and knew what you were doing. Go try to fight several enemies just slightly under your level in damned EQ or WoW, more then one monster on you, even lower level ones, usually kills you no matter what, or puts you in a spot of trouble.

In Asheron's call, I'd be in the middle of a dungeon, backed into a corner, or fighting back to back with a friend, blasting through dozens of monsters.

It was the first game to have monthly FREE content, rather then use EQs model of a 30-50$ expansion pack every 6 months or so. You had research, land exploration... I mean the game was just effing incredible.

It still is to a point, but it's been dumbed down a bit. For example on tedious as hell part was spell research. You had these things called tapers (candles basically) that you had to arrange in the correct order in slots depending on the level you wished to use. Early in the game I figured out a ton of the combinations and was just the utter shit for being able to cast spells many times stronger then the level 1-2 spells that you could easily find the combination for by looking at other's spell words.

Eventually they scrapped the system and did away with spell research, simplified the buff system, etc. Basically they dumbed it down a bit =( The action is still incredible, the graphics are below par, but for an almost 6 year old game they're great.

It came out after EQ and UO by several months, so it never managed to snag the small core group that got the MMORPG craze started sadly, but without a doubt it was the best. It didn't help that Microsuck was the publishers of the game, and didn't advertise it at all.

I've spent many a hour running all over the massive landmass hunting and cataloging landmarks. It was also the first major MMO I think that had zoneless main lands. You only zoned via portal to go into dungeons.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Well shit, Alot of games fight in my head for this title.

Counter-Strike v.1.5 - The fucking original, including v1.3 which was bomb in its time. Since its become sold on shelfs, I've come to dislike it..

Diablo I&II wasted my whole 6th grade year, and I still love the series.

Civilization III is my current favorite. :twisted: :?

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I like Blizzard games. I used to play Diablo 1 back in the day online but no one plays it online anymore. Never played Diablo 2 online.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Well, All I can say is start playing - If your going to - at a time when you have very little commitments, its fiercely addicting.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

RPG:

Fallout 2
    Planescape: Torment
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
    Morrowind

STRATEGY:

Jagged Alliance 2
    Medieval - Total War
    X-COM - Terror from the deep

ACTION/FPS:

System Shock 2
    Deus-Ex (original)
    Soldier of fortune 1

...which is why I don't play games that much anymore. The last game I played was Space Rangers, but I doubt any of you've even heard about it.

10. Lady Ghiradelli

Lady Ghiradelli First Year DLP Supporter

Ah...Let's see...

I suppose my favorite was Diablo 2 online for my 4th grade year. It was fun, and I liked fire. Boom.....

I play Guild Wars right now. Tis interesting if you can find all the skills, which can be a pain in the bum.

Toontown........b.b I'm surprised I still play the game.....

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Thats still fun to this day.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Rome - Total War is OK too, I guess, but Medieval has better setting (especially for Europeans like myself). I hope they make the next one in 18/19 century, that would rock so much I might even play it...

13. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

counter strike.
    plain and simple
    warcraft 3 was good
    battle field 2 not to shabby

I dare someone to play runescape though.

14. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

You just reminded me...

When I was in college there was this guy in my class that spent all day playing that game. In the end the tutor ended up sending this retard for counseling for addiction to Runescape. I took the piss out of him for the last two years of the course.

Not really got a favourite game. I don't really spend that much time playing games. The only game I have spent much time on in a long while was the last Elder Scrolls game, Morrowind.

15. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

Played it a while back. No clue why though, I think I was just bored and looking for something to play. I only played it for an hour or two about every other day.

I don't know what could be my favorite PC game. I don't really play them that much anymore. I buy them, play them for a few months, then I just lose interest. I'm still trying to get WoW for X-mas though.

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Battlefield: Vietnam kept my interest for a good while, and its still fun to use the vietnamese bombers to bomb villages.

Counter-strike, however, is my all time favorite [ 1.5 and below versions only, I despise/boycott the new stuff ] and I'm on my way to play it now, just checking DLP.

17. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

World of Warcraft
    KAL Online
    Stronghold and Stronghold: Crusader
    Soldat
    Battlefield: 1942

18. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

Mine is Unreal Tournament. I tried playing Counter Strike but never really liked it..

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

20. Spacks

Spacks Order Member DLP Supporter

Ah UT2k4, good times indeed.

Another good game is MOH:Allied Assault.