1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New fic, possibly? Need help on starting-

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lutris, Nov 19, 2005.

?

Is anyone available to beta this?

1. maybe

100.0%
  2. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Hey guys, its Lutris, live from Tokyo...
    Anyways, I was thinking. Not that that's uncommon, but I was thinking of a quasi-semi-dark-time travel Harry fic, and I see Giovanni's Challenge waaay backin August or something or other.

So then I thought, why not?

and I got the basic beginnings of a story planned, and depending on the feedback and (hopefully) constructive criticisms I may receive posting the plotline here, I may be able to finish writing this by next weekend, though no promises will be made.

Take care, this will be my first fic, and I don't want to insult Giovanni by mucking up his challenge with a cliche-riddled, poorly written bunch of drivel.

So Gio's challenge basically goes like this:
    Harry's Azkabanized for crucio'ing BL, 5 characters rescue him later, and they go on a journey round the world to train against Moldyshorts. He doesnt just want to kill LV though, but also Dumbles, all the DE's and most of the OoTP peeps. Not to forget ole Chocolate bottoms and his faithful band of Ministry idiots.

Requirements were:
    Azkaban!Harry, LV dies before Dumbles,and 5 loyal peeps can not be Weasleys, 'Super loyal Order members', not Super Harry, but is allowed a way to gain knowledge that others dont have, rich harry, and free ships, except ginny and slash. (this next minute and a half has been censored out from the constant gagging and weezing Lutris has been put through from uttering Ginny and slash in the same sentence. This was his muse typing for him whisle he was detained.) -cough cough weeze weeze, spit----- anyway, if time-travel occurs, it must be original, and Harry is RICH!

My ideas:
    Harry is in max. security,in cell 341 of Azkaban fortress, and has been there from two weeks into summer vacation of 1996 (anybody able to give me an exact date here? can't find any evidence supporting dates in ootp) to post sixth year. date unknown as of now.
    5 loyal 'friends' include Blaise Zabini (female, of course:wink:, Daphne Greengrass (i like her, and she seems smart enough to actively use her slytherin cunning, and i can basically do anything to her and noone can complain, lack of explanation on JK's part), Tonks(has the impression of being sorta young and of a doubting nature, having being drilled by Moody, ergo doesn't completely trust Dumbles), Neville (he's cool, what can I say), and Terry Boot (cos he's such an underexplained character that I can do anything to him, and he's a Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw=smart!)

Harry is now a sarcastic, and the perfect example of a anti-goldenboy. Many Slytherin qualities, his inherited intelligence from Lily Evans shines. He is capable of minor wandless magic- small conjurations such as teacups or blankets, and minor charms- warming charms, cooling, etc.

Has gained minor knowledge from short snippets he has been able to catch during visions, has all of the knowledge needed to ace NEWTS, but nothing more, except for the occasional dark curse.

He can absorb memories, or more like feelings and power from surrounding nature, namely vegetation and non-magical organisms, but not magical creatures and humans (which are sentient in the sense that we have coherent thoughts- magical creatures which are non-sentient can not provide energy and memories simply for the fact that they possess innate magic.- eg. can regenerate strength from a tree if dozing in it (with direct skin-bark contact), and can 'remember' what happens in a certain region from a organism there, and can, to a certain extent, express emotions and suggest things to animals- eg. tell a wolf that food is near, or against the wind, and therefore can not smell it.

also can exude energy and memories towards said things, after all, what comes in must come out right?

-absorbs magical signatures and intelligence from non-living magical objects and entities)

and of course, Gringotts is outside Ministry jurisdiction, and therefore his accounts cannot be frozen, as he is past his majority, he is legible to inherit from Potter (not a terribly influential family, the name Potter suggests to me that once a family of unnamed potters made it big, and the small fortune stayed that way, and a trust fund was made in case the family fell to its roots again, steadily gaining interest and more money put into it yearly manually, thereby making it into the small fortune mentioned and presented in PS/SS and continued through HBP.
    also Sirius' will is also present, naming Remus primary benefactor, but still leaving Harry enough that he does not need to work for 40 years with a family of three if he wanted, although just barely under Weasley level living conditions and overall wealth distribution over the years.

don't know if I can manage a relationship, but if I do, it will be HP/BZ, and NL/NT. TB/DG

Time-travel and world travels:

the Companionship of 6 will travel first across Europe, and will attempt to cross Atlantic to go to States to learn from natives. BUT get lost in the Bermuda Triangle (possibly on a muggle aircraft, dunno) and is transported to the Pirate Golden Age. With a crew of 6+one cook, make a name for themselves in the Caribbean (hey don't look at me, I watched too much Pirates of the Caribbean, but don't worry, this will not be a crossover- I just happen to like the freedom entailed in being a seafaring pirate in this time-period) and make way around world, and when in Asia, somehow get transported back to present day, 3 weeks after Bermuda Incident. Possibly Tokyo- (WHAT! i live here!), and learn fom Jap shamans/priests, and no, no katanas (way too much of this), although will experience rudimentary kendo.

This is all i've thought up till now, and I hope to hear back from someone soon!

-Lutris "Otter"

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hmm... I've just had a plot bunny how to get him out of Azkaban.

You can use that shit from HBP about Dementors reproducing. They conjure vast quantities of fog and pump it towards Azkaban. Aurors shit themselves, thinking that Dementors are returning. In comotion, they break Harry away and sail to their doom.

Not perfect, but better than standard frontal attack.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

MOVED... more discussion than actual story content... all discussion actually...

i suppose there are a few OK ideas in there somewhere (didnt actually read the whole thing)... I, as a severe pairing whore strongly disagree with NL/NT ... and OotP would have taken place between 1995-6 if my calcs are correct...

4. Lutris

Never said I'd actually DO the ships did I?
    might just ignore it all together- im 14 for crying out loud!
    never had a serious relationship before either.

and did I not say summer 1996, and post ootp? I thought that was entailed in the challenge posted by Giovanni. What I meant, to clear things up, was the exact dates- June something or other, July something or other. things like that.

Not to anger you or anything...but yeah.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

June 1st i think is when they leave Hogwarts... and dun mind me... im just going through Indigo Withdrawls...

6. Lutris

thanks vash

7. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

No, they leave Hogwarts at the end of June. The 3rd Triwizard Task took place in June. They have two months of summer vacation. July and August. At least that's what I figured.

It sounds like a good idea. But I'd stay away from ships. I'm not much of a shipper.

8. True Story

True Story Third Year

So....Let me get this straight.....A couple of school children and one clumsy Arour are going to break him out of a maximum security prison cell inside the fotress of Azkaban on Azkaban isle?

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

In my story it's like 20th of June, but I basicly pulled that out of my ass, coz I needed 4-5 weeks before Harry's birthday.

If you want to be sure, why don't simply visit hplexicon and find out?

10. Lutris

Eh. Lets just say that a)tonks is more experienced from the numerous battles shes been in the past year (sixth year corresponding), and b)I can always change the characters. As I said, this will be my first fic, so keep giving me feedback. If I can get it to pass expectations at DLP, then I'm one extremely happy camper.

So, character suggestions, GIMME! :D (preferably adult, mature, magically strong characters)

Bella is always possible, if I can get the quirks worked out, and since the Weasleys are all effectively negated with this challenge, I have no idea where to start. Flitwick maybe? Rowling never says hes actually IN the Order...

11. True Story

True Story Third Year

Do you remember what happened to Tonks in the DOM just a few weeks before?

I don't think this is a great plot to begin with. Nothing against you.

12. Lutris

nothing taken. As i said, im completely inexperienced in the writing portion of this.

Maybe have Harry stewing in Azkaban for a few years post-hogwarts?

13. True Story

True Story Third Year

Harry is a minor there are probably juvenile correctional facilities.

Harry more than likely wouldn't be put in a maximum security prison cell, that is normally reserved for the most dangerous of criminals with the means and will to escape.

Why do you need Harry to have allies? Have him grow up a bit get married or something be an unspeakable his wife is raped and murdered, he goes on a killing spree and gets life in prison, then he would more than likely be placed in a maximum security cell. There he would have the means and the will to escape. Turn him into a Riddick like character.

SHAZAAAM!

14. True Story

True Story Third Year

You could disregard what happened in HBP have Dumbledore be still alive then him turn his back on Harry's killings without care and have Harry hate him, Why have him go back in the past? After he breaks out he could just go to albania or some 'scary' eastern european country and train with a dark magic master for a few hundred thousand galleons. Then come back and kill alot of people! BAAM!

15. Lutris

you're right- the timetravel thing was just a muse anyway. I'lltry to refrain from watching PoTC anytime soon. mucks up the Harry Potter section of my brain.

And before anyone says anything, yes I lead a sad life to have a whole section dedicated to HP in my brain.

16. True Story

True Story Third Year

LOL.

17. Lutris

good idea- thanks!
    of course, that would violate the challenge, but ah hell. who gives a damn.

yes, i can see it now-
    H is unspeakable/highly efficient auror, maybe even hit-wizard, though i doubt it

so yeah unspeakable would be nice...

25ish harry, married to non-gryffindor girl,(intelligent, preferably-names?)
    close friends on his part with R,Hr, G, and Luna,
    but Ginny is a unmarked deatheater, being the whore she is, sells all people close to Harry out- namely wife, infant child, R, Hr, Weasleys, Luna, etc.
    to Voldemort! DUNDUNDUHN!

-Harry forced to watch deaths, snaps with death of child, kills Ginny, and all of the death eaters there with REALLY dark curses.

imprisoned for murder of Ginny Weasley and all of the people there from lack of evidence (voldie) , and extensive use of dark magic recorded on wand.

landed in azkaban after a few months, and taking ip82's suggestions to account, but changed- instead of Voldie or allies coming to visit on the pretense of Dementor smoke, Scrimgeour or his successor comes with the real thing, maybe to gloat, reasons unknown as of yet, but somehow, something happens (definitely not a battle) that lets Harry escape.

Harry then travels east, maybe middle east? if he's 25 its 2005 and current day, maybe could use that...maybe have him 21 or something in 2001, then escape in 2002...

anyway, dunno. the dark master thing sounds realistic- hmm.
    hard. or maybe Harry goes to Germany to learn from a veteran of Grindelwald's reign. Of the dark side, of course. Harry would then fall from the prestigious spot of auror/unspeakable, and turn Dark.

few years later, we gots a new dark wizard in town. not Dark Lord, I have no idea how to do that uncliched- sorry.

but avenging unjust treatment with dark intentions? higly plausible.
    killing dumbles? definitely.
    voldie? duh.
    who else?

18. Lutris

of course, being somewhat of an insomniac, my thoughts drift to what i was doing before i fell asleep- which i do frequently during class, but my mind is always influenced by the fact that Harry Potter is cursing people at the back of my head.

Any thoughts on the plot, anyone?
    and before anyone asks, and Ill try not to be too pompous,
    but anyone is welcome to use these ideas in their fics.

I am truly in doubt of my sanity when I accidentaly call my (now former) girlfriend Hermione. THAT was embarassing. didn't notice it till she called me harry tho.

So advise to all you authors/readers out there: don't read Harry potter fanfiction in the middle of the night, and go to work/school the next morning without making sure you know exactly who you are, and what you are, and if your mechanical pencil is in fact a wand or not.

19. True Story

True Story Third Year

The reason I suggested Unspeakable was becauseI assumed that they were trained in all forms of magic necassary to complete their mission, including dark magic.

I think you should have a good reason for Ginny becoming an unmarked death eater other than the fact that it is ginny.

Not necassarily the middle east so much as Russia, I'm thinking he could pay Rasputin or Rasputin's former apprentice to train him.

You don't have to take up the challenge.

It would seem better that everyone knows that people close to Harry are being killed by death eaters and then his wife gets killed and He goes after known death eaters and finds out that Ginny is an informant and possibly the reason why these persons were killed, he finds her in a very public place and fights with ehr and ends up killing her. Which is illegal and he ends up in jail for a crime he did comitt.

20. True Story

True Story Third Year

And don't have Voldermort crucioing every death eater in his presence, Have him be a reasonable leader but when you f*ck up you get punished.