1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete How We Survive by twighlightshadow - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: How We Survive
    Author: twighlightshadow
    Rating: T
    Genre: Angst/Humor
    Pairings: None
    Summary: An attack on the Dursleys left Harry to fend for himself. Years later, an overheard conversation results in new challenges which may prove impossible in the long run, such as remaining hidden in plain view, learning to trust again, and staying alive.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2206813/1/

This is one of those stories where Harry bacomes a street rat at an early age and fends for himself by applying limited wandless magic. The big twist comes once he heads for Hogwarts - since everybody beleived him dead, he pretending that he's a ghost and he's actively trying to stop Quirell from stealing the stone (thus, hidding in plain view).

Big upside is Harry's character. He's not overpowered but sure as hell is a sneaky little bastard. Original twist to the same ol' alternate universe story is great too.

Downsides are slow chapter posting rate and the fact that it follows book 1's plot - that's been done hundred times already.

In general, it's above average story, not the best "alternate history" on the net, but interesting read nontheless.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

A pretty good story...I like that he's sneaky and Slytherinish, also that he isn't too powerful like some authors do, but more using his powers correctly. I'm interested to see what happens next.

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I read it a week ago and even thought to post it here. It’s not great, but definitely worth reading.

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I dug this story. Its all wrapped up and the sequel is being worked on.

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I loved "How We Survive 1" but I must say I'm rather dissapointed by this sequel.

Everything is happening way too fast and without any details at all. No way Harry could just walz in Hogwarts and get sorted without having a word with Dumbledore to put him on the list. Or to live on his own again without the whole wizarding world (or at least Dumbledore) looking out for him. The author also glossed on everyone's reaction on finding out Harry was alive all the time - people like Snape shared their intimate secrets with him and now they seem just OK with the fact they've been deceived (or not? I really can't tell coz there's simply not enough details).

So, the plot still seems interesting, Harry's character as well, but writting seems more like an extended chapter summary than a real fiction.

6. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I have to agree with that.

I love the story, but the way they gloss over the reactions to some of Harry's schemes (AKA: Pretending to be a ghost) annoys me. I mean, why would it take a whole year to get the news about Harry being a ghost out? And wouldn't the fact Harry aged some since he supposably died at #4 be an indication that he wasn't actually a ghost?

Still, it is definitely an original idea, and is done well. It is one of my favorite PS-alternate fictions yet. (and if isn't original, mind pointing me to where I can find more?)

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Yeah, second one doesn't seem as good. But its still a brilliant idea that's worth checking out.

8. razz

razz Seventh Year

Meh. I must have tried reading this fic about three times already - but it is too god damned slow, and the quality of writing is little more than average. The chapters are all over the place - like the author has made the whole thing up as they went with no thought or plan, and the chapter lengths are pitiful.

I tried. I got angry. I can't be fucked with this any more.

:evil:

9. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This is an odd little story. It's got 23 chapters and it's complete, but it's only 39k words long. It basically covers Harry's first year at Hogwarts, with the twist that everyone thinks he's a ghost.

The premise is that Death Eaters attacked Privet Dr. when he was seven, but Harry managed to escape. Everyone assumed he was dead while he raised himself on the streets and in an abandoned mansion (Riddle Manor). He learned to use magic instinctively, including how to apparate, become invisible, become transparent, float, etc.

So he arrives at Hogwarts, meets the twins, and concocts a crazy plan to hide openly as a ghost. You can pretty much guess how everything else happens, as this follows canon to a fault.
    The trouble with the story is that everything is rushed. There's no characterization to be found, and the plot skips through the major events of PS at breakneck speed. Harry's interactions with the staff and other students are beyond ridiculous, as no one even questions him about his sudden appearance there. 'Huh. Harry Potter's a ghost? That's nice,' seems to be the prevailing attitude. There are also frequent and irritating misspellings of common words.

It might have worked in a different author's hands. 2/5

10. Rym

Rym Auror

The whole "raising himself and learning magic innately" idea has been done before, and done better - TheJackOfDiamond's Hero's Path

The ghost idea is original and interesting, but it's not pulled off all that well. And with the word count being so low, it's hard to really appreciate the characters presented.

Agreed.