1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Vendo, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Vendo

Vendo Fourth Year

A random idea popped into my head after questing in the Scarlet Monastery of World of Warcraft. Now a bit of back story to the Scarlet Crusade before i get to the challenge. The SC was created after the events of the plague during WC3 many of the higher ups of the crusade are former knights of the silver hand. These traumatic events led to a fanatical desire to exterminate the plague and any who they believe carry it (essentially everyone but themselves). A
    Now here's my challenge. After playing through this went through my head 'what if something like this went on in the HP universe? But instead of the plague it was magic that was to be exterminated.'

So here's my challenge.

A new faction emerges that wants to wipe out all traces of magic from the world. Voldemort, the Ministry, and the Order are all made aware by a massive attack on a heavily populated wizard town/area. The Crusade (just for the sake of not having to call it a 'new faction' so many times.) attempts to coerce muggles to their cause, while wizards scramble to find out how they are able to bypass the muggle repeling wards, and are able to kill wizards despite not being able to use magic.

How will the war turn out when one side wants to rule, one wants to commit genocide, another to achieve peace, and the last to wipe out all magic?

Wow by far one of my more interesting thoughts. Despite how most of my challenges and idea's are generally not liked among the DLP populous i do hope to receive some feed back about this.

2. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I think the main thing that jumps out to me is who starts up this faction originially. The way you wrote it suggests that muggles are being recruited into it, but did not start it. That leaves the question open as to who would start such a campaign. I suppose squibs would work, but seeing as most in that group have no legitimacy in the muggle world and are often cast out of the wizarding world, it would be hard for them to really get a strong solid base going. It would be very difficult to write a believable group of powerful people wanting to rid the world of magic.

On top of it being difficult to have a convincing power behind this new faction, without a really good reason for them wanting to erradicate magic and a convincing way for them to be able to erradicate magic (ie.: If it is just a plague, how to you write a continuous "fight" between the factions and if it is erradicating it by killing off EVERYONE magical, then how to you bring in magical elements that aren't people (ie other species, animals, plants) as well as taking into account wizards ability to hide.)

Now, problems I see aside, any story that explores a worse threat than Voldemort and somehow pushes for a temporary, believable alliance between current enemies could potentially be a very interesting story. (Of course it could turn into either a "Changes in the time of war" type story or simply very OOC story too) but if fleshed out a bit, it could make for a fairly interesting and unique story.

3. Vendo

Vendo Fourth Year

Admittedly this came to me spot of the moment and i wrote it down as soon as i thought of it, so yea theres still a lot missing. Though i didn't mean for the plague for the thing that wiped out the wizards, the actual people of the 'Crusade' are the ones to eradicate magic.

One thought about who would start it could be some jilted wizard or possibly a descendant of Grindelwald.

I also thought about them using magic and passing it off as something else but i didn't think that would work so didn't put it in the OP.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...You do know that this would just degenerate into either a wizard bashing fic or a muggle bashing fic. It comes down to the old debate, who would win, wizard or muggle? Theres an entire thread elsewhere, so I don't think we really need to get into it here.

The idea you put out is interesting enough to make a reasonable fic, so long as it was written in a balanced way.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like a good idea, if the writer could pull off a balance between magic and muggle so that one isn't necessarily greater than the other. Kind of like how one nuke can be more powerful than another, but they're still just as deadly as each other. And remember, a gun is deadly if the target doesn't have time to put up a shield, or doesn't know he's being shot.

I could see a muggle faction (like NOD from the C&C series) brainwashing some wizards into helping them, maybe abduct some muggleborns before they're taken to Hogwarts and train them with some books they've found/inherited. That's where squibs could come in, maybe a non-magical decendant of Grindelwald or just some jaded wizard with genocidal tendancies (kind of like Voldemort only aimed at the whole magical race instead of just muggleborns).

Aekiel

6. Vendo

Vendo Fourth Year

This was exactly what i was thinking of when i wrote this.

7. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I figured that the power behind the new faction could be squibs, but this faction was first created some time ago, maybe 100 years.

Several squibs (4-7) from powerful pureblood families come together first simply to survive as they cant get work in the wizarding world and does not know anything about the muggle world.

Over time does their struggle to survive build up a strong dislike and eventually hate for the wizarding world so they begin to preper for a time when they would be strong enough to wipe magic from the earth.

Now jump forward a hundred years or so, the members of this groups all have families and it is very possible that some of their children could use magic, they rejected the offer for their children to go to hogwarts and got books to
    teach the children themselves...