1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TripticWriter Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by TripticWriter, May 9, 2007.

1. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Challenge 1

Summery: “The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches … born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies … and the dark lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not … and either must die at the end of the other for neither can live while the others survives … the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies …”

As you see, I quote the prophecy. Because that's basically from where my plot come. The idea came to me when I realise that nearly everybody focus on:
    Then everyone tend to overlook:
    When we read this sentence we think: yeah, yeah when Voldemort A.K him he got this supa cool scar and the ability to talk to snake and that's all. But what if there was something else that the Dark Lord gave him? What if Fate decided to make them equal in every thing! Look Harry Potter got a shitty childhood and Voldemort as well, they look alike and the list goes on...

So my idea is that Harry Potter, after the possession by Voldemort, begin to have a change of psyche. It will not be done overnight but more like a slow evolution. And here I don't talk about magical power or knowledge even if at the end Harry must be his equal in power but more of him getting, the cunning, the brain, the charisma and the ruthlessness of Voldemort. We will no more have a stupid brash childish boy but a sly, manipulative, charming, powerful and sadistic young man. It means that at the end Harry will have the same mind as Voldemort then he will be able to foresee all his plan, all his secrets... And it's good way to make Voldemort even more paranoid therefore crueler so more people would want his end.

But then you will ask me what is the power that Voldemort is not aware of? I will answer by the very common adage: Knowledge is power.
    Yes, for me, the Power is that Harry knows their similitude of mind when Voldemort is completely oblivious.

Other thing possible: we know that Voldemort survive the killing curse but what if he receives some aftereffect and maybe that's why he isn't as cunning as before and so hot tempered. Don't forget that now he also looks like a snake so less charisma.

Also if Harry is going to have the same mind as Voldemort he is going to have some of his flaw: Overconfidence, arrogance, a liking for bad anagram and a dislike for muggleborn.

Hm, what else? Ha yes! You must all understand that I am talking about evolution in his psyche, not revolution. So even if Harry is aware of his change he is no going to be angsty about it, when he will meet Ron and Hermione he will want to ignore them, hex them, injure them etc... but he must not feel bas about it.

But I don't want either that the 16 years that he has lived as a good boy disappeared. He must learn from it, understand and use the flaw of both his enemy: Voldemort and Dumbledore.

When I first start writing this story I began by the defeat of Voldemort by Harry and then make him explained everything as he "brag" to Voldemort with various flashback but you are free to do this as you wish. It was also meant to be a very long one-shot.

Rules:

*Harry must be manipulative and sly.
    *He must be perceive as a good guy (without being the same looser) to the end of Voldemort.
    *He must keep his friendship with Ron and Hermione, but he will use them, corrupt them maybe.
    *There is no pairing, Harry doesn't have love to give. Lust, yes. I am looking forward an Harry who use his charm to break the women he needs. He can have a favorite. Bellatrix is not a choice because she is useless to him. Narcissa is a good choice.
    *Draco can't be friend with him.
    *During the story a character can discover what he is up to and therefore he must die... or join him but death is preferable.
    *I will prefer if you start at the end of OotP.
    *It's expected that he uses his fame and get deal with the ministry.
    *It's expected that he gathers follower.
    *Keep in mind that he must have flaw even if he manages to compensate it by the experience of his former mind.

note: The rules are not all mandatory, I list them because it's what I have in mind when I think of this story but you are free.

P.S: I put a lot of thought in this plot and I hope it's noticeable. If it's not clear enough please do tell me.

2. carl

carl Seventh Year

Similar things have been done before but cannot remember any story names off the top of my head.

3. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Yeah similar stories have been done.

Though one of my favorite theories is that at age one voldemort a much older very powerful dark lord marked harry as his equal. In the context of prophesy and in the eyes of magic that would make harry magically equal at age 1 to voldemort. Now nothing says that Harry has to stay equal from that point on, that he cannot grow magically. Really another interesting point is that since many consider knowledge to be power, then would harry not have significantly more magic than voldemort at age 1 because he lacks the knowledge.

Of course many things can explain why harry during his childhood and such in cannon does not really display this vast power. Several stories have it written that dumbledore has place massive restrictions, blocks, seals on harry and or his wand. Really with a child that powerful, even if the motives behind placing such things on him was benevolent, and not malicious. We could see where dumbledore could feel threatened or intimidated. Even in cannon, dumbledore does not listen to reason when placing Harry with the dursley's, he does it against his deputy's advice, using the excuse of Harry's potential fame as the reason.

Many stories also point out that his parents were going into hiding knowing that they were prime targets, there certainly would have written a will. Given the relationship of lilly and petunia, it would be highly unlikely they would want harry placed there should neither james or lilly survive. Some fics even have it where they make note within the will that Harry's placement with the dursley's is forbidden. So basically dumbledore disregards, possibly has overturned, sealed away or otherwise disposed of the potters will.

Now granted I am a fan of manipulative and or evil dumbledore fics. However even if dumbledore is not evil, would he still not be manipulative? Even in cannon much of his character seems to be too light, beyond reproach.

More recently I have taken to time travel fics, where due to dumbledore's meddling ways and actions, the light side loses and either the wizarding world is taken over by voldemort, or the muggles exterminate most wizarding kind, or the entire world is totally devastated. Yet Harry survives and must go back in time either into his younger self or as his older self but raises his younger version.

Unusual but not too obscure crossovers are also a nice change of pace. Specifically doctor who and resident evil, both could offer some good material for crossovers that many readers would recognize. There are a few good crossover fics already that mix harry potter and one of those.

Maybe a good challenge may be, a hp X resident evil X pretender X xmen, fic.

A possible prologue for such a fic. Though there would not have to be much with mutants or the undead, xmen might not actually exist in this au, just something similar to the weapon x program. It would be a very wronged and vengeful, super Harry fic. Where through extreme experimentation resulting in permanent changes to him are temporarily hidden/suppressed by dumbledore. The golden boy persona would be totally artificial, magically imprinted upon Harry by albus. When broken it would mix with his real but suppressed persona, the results of which one can only imagine.

Where a highly misguided manipulative meddling Dumbledore, places Harry with the Dursley's but they in turn contact a dark agency similar to the center from the pretender series. This dark agency, takes harry and sends his off to the corporation from resident evil for brief experimentation and testing, then the weapon x group from xmen, finally getting him back after that for mental programming into a brainwashed agent. When it comes time for Harry to attend hogwarts, it is finally discovered some of what has happened to Harry and dumbledore captures then attempts to correct Harry's memory and physical condition, outwardly hiding any changes, plus modifying the Dursley's memory as well.

From there it is mostly cannon, until 5th year, in which the occulmency lessions and possession at the Dom, occurs which break the memory charms and other spells on Harry. Though they are broken, they do not completely break down until after Harry is back at the Dursley's. Even then it is only due to the treatment at the tender mercy of Vernon that triggers the final breaking. Meanwhile from the Dom until then, Harry is just having nightmares and is somewhat physically ill.

Now mostly this would be a heavily au post 5th year fic. Why because while imho that 5th year sucked it included some things needed for such a au fic, so I think that before that would be too soon and after it, well would we really want 6th year cannon to enter into it (I hope not).

I could see where in your challenge it is not about the magic so much as the mentality. Where my proposal was about well major physical, mental and likely magical changes.

4. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Well... thank you for you post but even if it's interesting it has nearly nothing to do with my challenge maybe you should post your own challenge.

About story which are similar, you must be talking about Harry having magically all the knowledge of Voldemort and his power, therefore I found that it had absolutely nothing to do with my plot.

But more important you have overlooked the signification that I gave to the prophecy wich I found is an original view and is the keystone of my plot.

I mean here Dumbledore has done nothing, he doesn't put "block" on Harry or something else. And Harry hasn't received information by the scar or is influence by it. The evolution that will occur will come only from his mind and he will not become dark/evil because someone did something to him but only because it's his destiny.

If they really are story with the same idea then please do tell me.