1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Belerdorhan's Challenge #1: Harry Gets a Shiny New Ring

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Hadoren, May 20, 2007.

1. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

Challenge #1:

Summary: Harry Potter is teetering on the edge of madness. The Dark Lord is far too powerful for him. So Harry's been cheating. The dark arts, rituals - they're easy, simple, faster! And there's no price. The dark arts don't really corrupt - that's just propoganda. Harry's still sane. Sure, he dishes out the killing curse every other spell now, but really, there's no difference.

There's a soul bond between Harry and Voldemort, you know. The strongest bond ever. And every time the Priori Incantem occurs, it gets stronger. It's not really to do with wand cores. Voldemort switched his wand, and it still came. But the bond's dangerous. It's visible now. People can even feel it burn. And it's cutting through something, although no one knows what it is.

One day they're dueling, again. Harry shoots Avada Kedevra. Voldemort shoots too. Funny, they've never actually shot killing curses at each other before at the same time. The curses connect and form a link. Nothing can stop a killing curse, not even another one. That's impossible. That's wrong. An explosion occurs. The bond finishes cutting whatever was being cut. Harry's knocked unconscious.

He's in a Void. Dark always attracts dark, and nothing is more dark than a bond forged by hatred and a killing curse and broken by the same. Harry meets someone attracted by the darkness - his name is Melkor. They talk. Melkor's chained, imprisoned in this place. The bond was cutting through the fabric of reality, he says, and Harry's being sent to another world: Arda. Melkor asks Harry to be freed. Suddenly a *whoosh* occurs, and Harry's being swept away before he can answer. Melkor looks desperate, enraged. He diverts Harry's course the slightest bit with his power before he disappears in the distance.

Harry lands in a desert. The bond with Voldemort is gone, and he knows in his heart that Voldemort's dead. He doesn't know what to do. His life is purposeless, with no goal. Harry goes emo.

Several hours later, he realizes that he'd better get to a town fast, before the elements kill him. He barely escapes them alive, with the help of some accidental magic, and appears in a town. After healing, Harry reflects on what to do with his life. Finally, he decides to live it out in this town as a normal person - it's what he was wishing for ever since he came to the magical world.

Normality doesn't suit him, unfortunately. Harry's bored. There's nothing to do. He aches to feel the bloodlust of battle again. The war's ruined him.

2 months later, salvation arrives. The town is raided by a group of marauding warriors. Harry sees a life of adventure and fighting in the eyes of their leader. He joins, and loves it. He becomes companions and blood-brothers with the group. There is no one to stop them; ever since Umbar's fleet was destroyed by the evil Gondorians, the land has lacked a ruler.

5 years later...

But now, Umbar is once again uniting the land and stamping out all the raiders. She's aided by two Nazgul. Harry's chieftan will not stand for this. He demands autonomy under Umbar. But coming into the city to negotiate with promises of safe-passage, he's betrayed and beheaded. Harry's tribe is wiped out in an attack outside the city, where they're camped. Enraged, Harry falls into madness. For the first time since he came to Middle-Earth, he uses dark magic. He slays a Nazgul and the Lord of the Haven and vows to destroy Umbar itself, retreating east to raise an army and nurse his wounds.

1 year later...

A messenger arrives, from the Dark Lord Sauron himself. Sauron supports Harry's mission. He will ally with Harry to unite the land, and he wishes to give to Harry a ring as a token of his goodwill. Harry accepts. The ring pulses power. It is beautiful.

4 years later...

Harry has conquered Harad with the help of a Ring of Power and his magic. His mission has changed now. He wishes not for vengeance against Umbar, but greatness for Harad. And so Umbar has been spared. Mordor now wishes to destroy the feeble kingdom of Gondor with Harry's aid. Harry accepts, for the land of Gondor will enlarge his empire. And Gondor has always been the enemy of his people....

Rules:

- Occulmency is ineffective against any mind-magics of Middle-Earth; this means the ring influences Harry.
    - Harry thinks that the Nazgul was from Umbar; not Mordor.
    - Harry must battle the Lord of the Nazgul at the gate of Minas Tirith, with Gandalf assisting, when he finds out that it belonged to Sauron. That would be pretty brilliant. (This is the whole point I came up with this challenge.)
    - No coming back to Earth.
    - Voldemort is dead; everybody in Earth lives happily ever after.
    - Harad will never be under the rule of another; that means Aragon doesn't conquer it.
    - Melkor plays no part other than in the beginning of the story.
    - Harry's gone mad through usage of the dark arts and the destruction of the tribe.
    - No elves or dwarves.
    - Harry does not fall in love.

And finally, remember that rules are more of guidelines than laws. That means they can be broken.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. Kage Buyo

Kage Buyo First Year

I don't know the first thing about LOTR, I had to use Wikipedia for most of your summary. But it sounds like a great idea. You going to write your own version? I guess I should really read the books instead of relying on the movies.(which I don't understand)

3. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

It's an interesting plot. I've seen tons of LOTR/HP crossovers, but I haven't seen a Dark!Harry LOTR crossover. It's refreshing. I'd be interested to see where an author took this storyline.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why not replace the name Harry is Bob, cut out the very first part of the challenge that actually involves Harry Potter, and you have a completely LoTR fic.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's using the HP magic system, so you can't really pick a random name out of the hat :p. I think that's how he could destroy the Nazgul (is it permanently dead, or does it just have its physical form destroyed?), with Avada Kedavra.

Seems like a good challenge anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing someone write it.

Aekiel

6. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So Sauron's trying to manipulate Harry into being a replacement for the Nazgul that he killed by giving him a ring of power, turning him into a loyal servant before he can try and rise up against him. I like it. It's going to be great watching the ring subtly transforming Harry into a mindless slave of Sauron, but of course he begins to resist after falling deeply into it's clutches. This story has great potential. I hope someones ups and claims it soon.