View Full Version : [Oneshot] Not Slytherin Enough by fruit17 - T

carvell
06-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Title: Not Slytherin Enough
Author: fruit17
Rating: T
Genre: Humor/Drama
DLP cat: General
Pairing: Harry/Blaze (hint's of h/g at the end)
Words: 6,918
Published: June 3, 2007
Summary: Harry was sorted into Slytherin. Five years later, members of the Order of the Phoenix come to collect him from Privet Drive. The Boy Who Lived isn't quite who they expected. Warning: female Blaise.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3573787/1/

Found this nice one-shot a few day's ago it has a bit of Ron bashing and towards the end a bit of flirting with Ginny

This get's a rating of 4/5 from me

Checked by Minion, February 5, 2013

Richard
06-09-2007, 08:03 PM
HAhahahaha, very very funny, that is. I couldn't stop laughing. 5/5 for me...I would'a made it 4/5, but wanting to use Ginny for only sex gave it an extra point.

Richard.

Mindless
06-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Hm. It was amusing, yet it lacked the "oomph" that I wanted it to have. It felt as if it was leading up to something in the end, and nothing. All the same, it was a good read. I'll go ahead with a 4/5.

Edit: Have you happened to look at the author's profile? Specifically the other stories written?

Giovanni
06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Would have been better as a start to an AU story instead of just an AU One Shot. 4/5 as a one shot 5/5 as a start to a longer work.

Vir
06-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree, this was a good read. It would make a much better novel length fic however.

5/5

deathinapinkboa
06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I second Giovanni.

Klael
06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Only a couple of typos, nothing serious. And a refreshing take on the Slytherin!Harry perspective.

Dark Magic
06-09-2007, 10:21 PM
It was an amusing read, and managed to kill some time. I agree with Mindless about needing that extra "oomph".

I'll go ahead and give it a 4/5.

k_writer
06-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Quite possibly one of the best Harry characterizations I have read in a long while. Damn this was good.

Still I was rather annoyed by the silence of the adults. Whether impressed by Harry or not, I doubt Lupin and Sirius (certainly not Mrs. Weasley) would allow Harry to get away with saying half that stuff to Ginny.

I also doubt that Fred and George (who, in my humble opinion, are a great deal more clever than Ron has ever been or ever will be) would have stood there silent as Harry demeaned their little sister.

However, those small annoyances aside, this thing was brilliant. I REALLY, REALLY wish that the writer would continue it. I haven't found a fic like this that I was actually whole-heartedly enthused about in a hot minute, let me tell you.
A one-shot simply isn't enough! More! More I say! Excellent! 4.5/5

On a side note: I looke in the writer's profile and found...Harry/Draco fics...but they may be very well-written so I won't make too big a deal about them.

ip82
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, this is a solid one-shot, but I really don't see what's so special about it. Pretty standard Slytherin!Harry going on a rant about poor mistreated Slytherins. Nothing we haven't seen before.
3.8/5

k_writer
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
It's nothing I've seen before, though. So I loved it. If I read more HP fanfiction, mayhaps my reaction would be similar to yours...

deathinapinkboa
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
On a side note: I looke in the writer's profile and found...Harry/Draco fics...but they may be very well-written so I won't make too big a deal about them.

I looked in the writer's profile and read the Harry/Draco fics. One of them is, despite it's horrible pairing and disgusting disreguard for cannon, not terribly written.

The other is written well enough I suppose, but the auther must have been smoking crack to come up with the plot.

k_writer
06-09-2007, 11:16 PM
...yeah....glanced at one of the other fics and couldn't stomach Draco crooning lovingly to Harry in baby talk (I shit you not), so...no. But still, this was a good read at any rate. = /

Mr. Merriman
06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I liked this one. It's somewhat standard fare for Slytherin!Harry stories, but it is extremely well-written, and one of my new bookmarked one-shots. Coming from an H/D slash author, it's even more impressive.

4/5

Xiph0
06-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Damned shame it's a one-shot.

5/5

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat
06-10-2007, 03:04 AM
A very good read, and like everyone else, I wish it were more than just a one-shot

4/5

DreamRed
06-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I didn't really see the appeal myself. Some of the dialogue was funny, but that's about it. Like k writer said, I can't see everyone just standing around as an audience to Harry's little diatribe. It has the potential to be good if it was continued into something more, but at the moment most of it just seemed to be about turning Harry into a sarcastic 'witty' but-still-so-moral Slytherin. This line was pretty much the nail in the coffin of a potentially decent characterisation:

You want to know why I protect Longbottom, Granger and the rest of the Muggle Borns? Iím not doing it for them at all. Iím doing it for my fellow Slytherins.

If s/he were going to carry on with it then it might make sense as a basis for character development, but as a one-shot it seems like it's buying into the Slytherin!Harry everyone and their dog uses rather than working to do an original take on him.

So, 3/5 for me.

Big D on a Diet
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna rant for just a second, so you can all feel free to ignore me.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing horrible about this. It's solid enough. A little rough around the edges, but not bad, and Harry did pull off a few nice one-liners, which I always enjoy. But I can tell you this... my Slytherin Harry would kick this Slytherin Harry's ass. And he'd never see it coming.

For example:

Why would a Slytherin Harry admit to being able to disillusion himself?

Why would he show the Order that he knew how to get around the restrictions on underaged magic?

Why wouldn’t he just duck out the window and fly somewhere safe when he heard people breaking into the house, rather than going out into the hall like a Gryffindor, thinking about how he has “home field advantage” against multiple opponents?

Why would he hate the Weasleys? Just because he’s in Slytherin?

Why would he like Malfoy? Same reason?

Why are Moony and Padfoot gay for each other? Nothing wrong with it, it just seemed like it was thrown in there for no reason.

Why would he tell the Order that his earring is charmed? Wouldn’t that be the kind of ace-in-the-hole that you’d want to keep to yourself?

Why would he tell them that he doesn’t trust anyone? That’s not something you go around bragging about if you’re trying to be subtle.

Why would he resent people seeing him as a hero? That’s a dammed useful reputation to have for getting what you want.

Why would he resent being labeled as a Slytherin, then refer to himself as one on multiple occasions?

(end rant)

Where's the subtlety? Where's the sneakiness? Where's the charm? Nowhere in sight. Just a bunch of cliches done for the hundredth time, plus a bunch of whining at the end. This one gets a 3/5 from me, only because it's readable.

Big D

thisperson
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
lThat's quite a rant there champ...feel better now?
:p

Well I liked this story, cliche filled and everything.
(That is the reason a cliche is a cliche right?)
Because they are well liked and eventually get over-used?

Since I have not read much Slytherin!Harry I found this one likeable.

3/5 I was expecting something resembling a plot, rants are always fun yet I saw nothing, still liked it though. Maybe something other than getting to The Black House.

Oh and his review count might have something to do with people liking some of his stories and just following what he writes, we all know how much the FFN crowd loves those Harry/Draco stories...wait saw the profile...his H/D only has 13 reviews, I am sure that for what it is, that spells out complete fail.
Maybe that is why he changed to Hetero!Harry?

Bah, I am looking into this too much

k_writer
06-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Lol....Big D...do you have a thread in this library for your fic? If not, post one, and do your complaining about not getting enough reviews there. As for your points on this writer's Slytherin!Harry...noted.

Big D on a Diet
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Lol....Big D...do you have a thread in this library for your fic? If not, post one, and do your complaining about not getting enough reviews there. As for your points on this writer's Slytherin!Harry...noted.

(Sigh) See, I knew someone would think that I was review-whoring. Not the point I was trying to make at all. I should have left off the part about the reviews entirely, but my dander was up.

Fact is, I've gotten great feedback for my story, and some of the best of it was here. The fact that I've hardly gotten a nibble at FFN is annoying, but beside the point. What I was ranting about was the fact that the Harry in this story isn't much of a Slytherin at all... he's some kind of romanticized Draco-with-black-hair that wouldn't know clever or cunning if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=5954

There's mine. Just give it a shot and tell me who the real Slytherin is.

Big D

Palver
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I agree with Big D - this Harry is not a true Slytherin - he lacks cunning, he reveals his skills, etcetera, etcetera..

In other words a difference between Big D' Slytherin!Harry and fruit17 "Slytherin"!Harry is like a difference between Tom Riddle and Draco Malfoy - they are in totally different leagues.

rj_stone2
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
On that argument, the whole idea of Slytherin is sort of self-refuting... you can't just label yourself as sneaky and ambitious. Surely a truly Slytherin Harry would be in Hufflepuff...

I thought this story was all right and that it showed, not a super sneaky Harry, but what canon Harry might have turned out like if he were in Slytherin. The idea of out-pureblooding the purebloods in order to prevent them from developing a prejudiced mindset was clever, and I haven't seen it done before. Solid 4/5 for me.

Manatheron
06-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I admit to having had doubts, but the ability to humanize the slytherins and mock everyone else in the same breath is a rare tallent indeed.
4.5/5

BartucTheBloody
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
There were parts of this that I liked and others that I didn't. I guess I agree, for the most part, with what Big D said. This Harry is "Not Slytherin Enough," if you will:) It was fairly enjoyable so I guess I'll give it a 3.7/5.

Gabrinth
06-15-2007, 01:31 AM
I thought the first half was sort of lame. The SB/RL slash BS was unneeded and there wasn't much to it at all but filler until they got to Grimmauld Place. Second half was pretty good as a few parts made me laugh and the emoness actually kept my attention. If you exclude the first half 4/5. If you don't then a 3/5.

Imperator Pesmerga
06-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I love it.

The writing itself is excellent, but it's the characterization itself that stands out. The author had a very good reason as to why a Slytherin!Harry would be kind to Gryffindors and it makes perfect sense. 5/5 for me

MrINBN
06-16-2007, 04:17 AM
I liked the rant at the end. And it IS rather amusing. 5/5

Amon Amarth
06-24-2007, 01:45 AM
This was a very good fic, but I agree when you say that the characterization needs more of a Slytherin tune up. I was put off a little about the R/S slash and more over when Harry said:

"He had neither the time nor the patience to find a proper girl or boy friend, particularly when he couldn’t help feeling a certain tenderness towards Blaise, which tended to manifest itself in extreme protectiveness of her."

Besides those details, this fic was really funny and I liked the rant, but I have seen ones similar to it. I give this fic a 4/5 since it is supposed to be a Humor/Parody.

Bug-Eyed Earl
07-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Two years after we found out Blaise Zabini is a boy(and it shouldn't have even been two years, it's not that fucking hard to Google the name and come up with nothing but male results) we still have femBlaise fics. For fuck's sake, you have Daphne Greengrass, Sally-Anne Perks, adn Tracey Davis to fill the female Slytherin role if you need it.

thisperson
07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I don't think it is so much the fact that there are more Slytherin females, but the idea the Blaise was once female in the minds of others before JKR let it blow with Blaise being male.

Plus the name has always had some form of sensuality in my mind, it rolls off the lips and sounds like some deliciously attractive woman.

Blaise Zabini

IDK just blurting out shit here, but I'm guessing people still write fem!Blaise since they like her more than the other Slytherin chicks.

After all the author writes what they prefer, not what you tell them.

Bug-Eyed Earl
07-23-2007, 02:13 AM
I don't think it is so much the fact that there are more Slytherin females, but the idea the Blaise was once female in the minds of others before JKR let it blow with Blaise being male.

Plus the name has always had some form of sensuality in my mind, it rolls off the lips and sounds like some deliciously attractive woman.

Blaise Zabini

IDK just blurting out shit here, but I'm guessing people still write fem!Blaise since they like her more than the other Slytherin chicks.

After all the author writes what they prefer, not what you tell them.

I'd met one or two guys named Blaise before reading the books, so there's that as well.

nonjon
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Gave this one a try. And I gotta say... meh. Just read like mini-rant overly emotional typical Draco-loving stuff to me. And there's no comparison to Big D's Slytherin ficlets. Big D's is about a far more Slytherin sort of interpretation of Harry. This one-shot is more about a Harry who's best bud chums with the Death Eater juniors. He doesn't have very many more "Slytherin" like characteristics, he's just more of a smarmy asshole. Two very different purposes to the fics and while I'd say Big D's succeeds at its goal far better (writing Harry as a Slytherin), this one's built to appeal to the Draco-loving masses (writing Harry as a character who was *sorted* into Slytherin and turned into essentially a black-haired Malfoy).

Maybe it was from reading all the comments and praise others heaped onto this one-shot, but it didn't do anything for me. I liked the hints towards a larger story (the Gryffindor-ish things he did to help Neville, Herman, etc...) but I've not much interest in reading more so I don't see it as a start to something more. 3/5 primarily for some of the interesting ideas at the end. The Weasley-bashing was boring, the paragraphs the author wasted justifying why his little Slytherin whores weren't really whores I had to skim, and when Harry doesn't like any of the other people, it's hard for me to like them either. So when I don't like this Harry half the time, it just fails to be a fun read for me. Yeah, 3/5 is about right.

Lhefriel_Medies
07-27-2007, 12:13 AM
(Sigh) See, I knew someone would think that I was review-whoring. Not the point I was trying to make at all. I should have left off the part about the reviews entirely, but my dander was up.

Fact is, I've gotten great feedback for my story, and some of the best of it was here. The fact that I've hardly gotten a nibble at FFN is annoying, but beside the point. What I was ranting about was the fact that the Harry in this story isn't much of a Slytherin at all... he's some kind of romanticized Draco-with-black-hair that wouldn't know clever or cunning if it jumped up and bit him in the ass.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=5954

There's mine. Just give it a shot and tell me who the real Slytherin is.

Big D

It's still not what I would refer to as BAD... per se. The author has a nice style, and the repartee between the Weasleys and Harry was definitely amusing. It got a bit sappy toward the end... but it was still readible, and it gave the story a bit more purpose than just to show off how badass Slytherin!Harry is. I liked a few of the concepts, such as Harry still harboring empathetic ideals while in Slytherin, and it made for an interesting read when Harry when off on his tangent about creating paths and paving your own way, and not stereotyping people and condemning them to a single route. I like how the author mixes badass with human in this fic, and it sticks to canon in the sense that Harry is NOT a merciless bastard, as far a J.K. is concerned. This seems like the most realistic representation, because, as you know, canon Harry was slanted toward Griffindor anyways, so some traits should still show through. It's just how he would be under a different upbringing. Though I agree that the author did go a bit over the top with revelations... I'm sure that anyone worthy of Slytherin would have the tact not to mention they have a secret defense measure. Either way, it was a good read, and definitely worth the few minutes it took to finish. Gets a 4/5 from me. It's library material, but kind of borderline. Truthfully, I think a little lower than Ip's rating is what this deserves, and I would round it off. Thus...

4/5

As for your fic, BigD... It's probably the best Slytherin!Harry fic in existence. Your Harry shows a level of depth and planning that not exactly regular, and you've definitely capitalized on Harry's regularly underutilized intelligence with his current contemplative confidence. You can't really compare to fic, period. I doubt there's a way to imitate or best your Harry- I'm easily willing to say he's one of a kind, and the best of his breed. So chill. Moths may flit around the fire, but never touch it- I think you need a better measuring stick than your fic.

Eristaz
08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Amazing potential to go further.

5/5

The Mysterious Nobody
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I liked it. Not overly so, but I think that it has potential. We can't judge it having only one chapter anyway. Interesting, amusing and witty, although a bit EMO at the end. At least the writing is good.

4 out of 5 im my humble opinion

goldenwolfeye
08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
It has good potential as an opening to a longer fic, but standing alone it just doesn't bring that good one-shot closure.

4 out of 5 for a story opening
3.5 out of 5 as a one-shot

LogrusMage
08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Fucking hilarious! I loved it. Harry's reasoning, his analysis, his underhanded nature, all perfect. I don't know why this appealed to me so much, but this fic really hit the spot. Cleared up all the crappy Slytherin!Harry fics I've read out of my system.

4.9/5 because I don't give 5's to one-shots on principal.

[KS18]Raziel44
11-03-2007, 02:25 PM
i agree with Richardc269 (http://forums.darklordpotter.net/member.php?u=1457) 5/5 vbmenu_register("postmenu_120910", true);

Memory King
12-29-2007, 06:37 PM
It does what it's supposed to do, portray a solid Slytherin!Harry while making the readers laugh. I liked this rendition of the opening of OoTP, but the flaws pointed out by Big D and others are still valid. This gets 5/5 from me as just a humour fic.