1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dante's Challenge #2

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Dante, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

The start of the story is very cliche. When six year old Harry accidentally apparated to the roof of his school when trying to run from his cousin, he tried to figure out how he did it. Like any kid, he thought that it must be magic, so he studied any "magical" books he could find in the library and tried to duplicate their charcater's way of doing magic. Of course he did not manage anything. He studied for all year. It became like an obsession to him. When he finished all the fantasy books he could find, he tried to read about the Middle Ages and the Witch Hunts. Of course sometimes he needed a dictionary, but he managed. Finally, after a year, on a very stormy day with a lot of thundr and lightning, he he stayed in the library much too long and was hurrying home. He was concentrating on getting to his uncle as fast as possible and accidentally apparated on the roof of his office building which was the highest building in the city. He tried to figure out how to get home, because the door to the building was locked. Finally, he god frightened enough to apparate, but as he was apparating, a bolt of lightning struck him. Harry went back in time (cliche I know) to 1337. Some of his memory was erased. For example, he did not know his name. After going around this strange city for a while, he meets a nice man by the name of Frances Flamel (any first name really) who is the father of seven year old Nicholas Flamel. He lets Harry live with them in their small house. Harry notices that strange things go around Nicholas too, so he tells him about his abilities in apparition. Together, they finally manage to control their ability. In time, they manage to float a feather or summon a light item. Nothing impressive. When the summer of their 11 year in life comes, they both get invitation to Hogwarts School of Wizardy. In these times, the Wizarding World was very prejudiced againt muggleborns, so noone came to introduce to the world. Only indication of where was the entrance to the Diagon Alley, was the adress in London. So, they with their muggle father found the entrance. They did not have alot of money, so they had to buy second-hand things. When they came to Hogwarts, Harry was sorted to Slytherin and Nicholas to Ravenclaw. Harry was good at Dueling, Charms, Transfiguration. Nicholas excelled at Potions (Duh!), Arithmancy, Runes. Of course they were good students, ones of the best in their year, but their natural talent lay in their best subjects. They received alot of bullshit from more experienced and pureblooded students, but studied alot, and after three years of studying and practising Battle Magic, started to resist their bullying. In seventh year, nobody cared that they originally were muggle-borns because they were best Duelers in the school, with Potions Arithmancy and Runes, Nicholas did amazing things, with a wand and without it, Harry could do amazing things too. In these times, Wizards were much more powerful because there was no inbreeding. That made some wandless magic possible. Some years after finishing Hogwarts, they decided to create Philospher's Stone. They worked for ten years, but encountered a huge problem. One day, Nicholas met Perenelle. After their marriage some years later, he told her about their project. She had an idea of how to fix the problem. After five more years, three of them finally managed to create the Philosopher's Stone. In the beginning, they liked the fame they received, but in time, Harry got enough of it, and staged his death (No, Philosopher's Stone does not protect you from deadly curses, just from natural death. Also it can heal any wound or illness). He travelled around the world for a long time. Finally, he went to the New World, where he lived under a new name. During the war against Grindelwald, he met up with Nicholas and they decided to help the fight. After the war, he dissapeared again. When Voldemort rose to power, he thought that Britain will defeat him on its own. Finally, in october of 1980, he decided that his help is needed. He was getting ready to finish off Voldemort, when he killed the Potters and dissapeared. When he sees the baby, corpses of his parents and The Scar, he realizes, that he is Very Old Harry James Potter. Sadly, he knows, that he can't change the future, so he lets Hagrid to take him away.

Rules:
    Harry does not know he is Harry Potter until he sees his baby self with a scar.
    Harry is the most powerful wizard in the world.
    He worked his ass off for the power he has. He learned magic for 600 + years, you know.
    His years at Hogwarts in 14th century should be detailed

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

....wall...of...text.... -SHANKS.- -_-

3. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That's actually a pretty good idea. It's a new twist where Flamel is involved, but I've never seen a story where Harry actually grows up with him. This would end up being a large story, what with Harry in Hogwarts in the 14th century, Grindlewald, and then Voldemort. The author would have to be motivated to finish it.

I would readily read a story that followed your challange.

4. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

I would write it myself, but I don't know if I have the skills to make it good. I often wonder if it would be better if Harry remembered his nme? Than he could start the Potter family. I dont know... But yeah i tried to look for any story like this, but didn't succeed... Maybe you guys know a story like this?

5. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It would be kinda cool to have Harry start the family way back in the 14th hundreds, but how do we know there weren't any Potters back then anyway?

6. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

That's the problem. We don't. Maybe after 15 days we will.

7. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The real Flamel grew up in France if I'm not mistaken, so it would be more likely that Harry didn't know about the Potters and then grew up in France with Flamel, unaware of Hogwarts except in passing, if at all. It would be more believable to make it a Beauxbatons story, or Flamel and Potter are put under the tutelage of an OC or someone important from history.

Furthermore, I've always disliked stories where Harry goes back in time and changes a bunch of shit--how is he going to change things that greatly effect the time before he was born? This would postpone or erase his birth surely. This is why I didn't like the ending of the third book: Although it worked out okay, it's weird to see Harry pwnt by Dementors and then find out that he really saved himself. It's... odd.

I'd still read the story, though it would take QUITE A WHILE to do it properly.

8. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

I don't know if Beauxbatons was even built then... Wizarding population should have been alot smaller than, so at least two schools in europe is a bit too much in my opinion. Of course there is the problem of 100 years war between france and england. Somehow I do not think that french wizards would go to english school. So msybe that was when Beauxbatons was opened? Anyways, it does not really matter to the story, except for Harry being Slytherin and Flamel Ravenclaw thing. And yes, this story would require a lot of planning, historical research, going through hp lexicon to figure out what items and spells were available in that time.

9. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

/eyetwitch

I refuse to be drawn in by yet another interesting plot bunny, but...

The idea of Harry and Flamel being "brothers" is great as is having Harry in a post-founders, pre-Riddle era Hogwarts. It's something new and everyone loves new.

Averis has a point about Flamel being in France. If it were me I would most likely make it AU enough to say that Beauxbatons hadn't been founded yet so the two boys were tutored for their first year until their tutor decided they were bright enough that they should receive the benefits of Hogwarts. The tutor gets them enrolled and off they go for year 2.

I also agree with Averis on the altering pre-history aspect. In the summary you say that Harry knows he can't alter what is his past. It's perfect. The story as you've set it up thus-far has Harry only doing things in the past that could have happened. Based on Rowling's own time-travel concepts it fits. As long as Harry doesn't try to remove himself from the Dursley's then he's fine.

I would say that the "power the Dark Lord knows not" would simply be the power of Knowledge. Combined with his relationship to the Flamels, and Dumbledore one would assume, he is certainly a force far more dangerous than Voldemort. Though I hate to admit it I would suggest using the horcruxes in this fic. They are a plot device that can be used as an equalizer between the super-knowledgeable/power Harry and Lord V.

Due to the nature of this fic, I would also seriously play up Harry's worldly travel. Where Nicholas was more stationary and research/lab oriented Harry sought knowledge from all sources (conjecture based on your summary). This too would act as an equalizer between Harry and Voldemort as Riddle too traveled in search of Dark magic. Use Harry's travels to indoctrinate him in obscure magics. Make some of them seem useless and silly, but when used in conjunction with the other obscure and seemingly useless/silly magics they become amazing in some way.

Last thing I can think of is that I would have Harry keep his true origins a total secret. You've set up a history for Harry where he likes to drop out of the limelight. He enjoys his freedom and would know that no good could ever come of the revelation that <name> Flamel the 600+ year old super-wizard was also Harry Potter. He would never be able to travel far enough to escape the fame...and begging wizards and witches. Even Dumbledore would try to thrust him into roles he wouldn't want.

In fact, a perfect end to the story would be Harry walking off into the sunset as Dumbledore finally realizes that the man he had known for over a hundred years, one of the three ancient wizards of history, and Voldemort's downfall, was in fact Harry Potter....who just vanished into the annals of time once again.

Edit:
    Another note on the world travel issue...

The time periods that Harry would live through are some of the most world-changing in history. The changes in the way mankind viewed the greater picture of the world alone is amazing. If I were doing this fic (Back vile plot-bunny of doom! Back I say!) I would do some hefty historical research and integrate key events or meetings into Harry's travels. Integrate both magical and muggle events and learning into Harry's life. The plot devices, sub-story arcs, and just plain fun elements you could get out of this aspect of the story are too good to pass up.

Ultimately, I would write the tale in 3 stories. The first would be Harry going back in time, his years at Hogwarts, and the years leading up to the development of the stone. I'd end the first story with Harry faking his death and wishing his "brother" and Pernell goodbye before his journeys begin. The second story would be Harry's years of travel, concluded with his involvement in WW2/Grindewald with Nick, Pernell, and Albus. The third story would be the events leading up to the first Voldemort era, his downfall, Harry's revelation of his true identity, and then the events of Voldemort's downfall.

I, however, refuse to be taken in by yet another plot bunny so these are just suggestions to whoever picks this up.

/eyetwitch

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  10. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Yeah, if someone agrees to write this, he has to have a good knowledge of history. This story could be a believable super!harry story I know. By the way, do you guys think, that as a wizard ages, his magic get more powerful, but his body starts to get weaker, so his effectivity gets lower? If this were true, and if philosopher's stone prevents body from aging, than Harry and Flamels would be the most powerful human magic users in the world. I think that Flamel should be some kind of scholar. Not really an outstanding fighter, but capable of delivering a beating if the situation calls for it. Harry, however, with his talent in wand subjects, should be one of the best fighters in the history of the world. It would finally be believable because: Lets fave it he has some power + Philosopher's Stone keeping his body young + Growth of his magical power in 600+ years of his life + 600+ years of travels, where he learned all he could about magic = finally believable so called Super!Harry.

If you guys wonder why he did not take care of Voldemort or Grindelwald when they started to rise, I can say that he simply values his privacy to much and does not want abandon his current persona to get away from hassle, that would most certainly follow him after him defeating the Dark Lord.