PDA

View Full Version : Xerses I hate WIP's

Xiph0
12-21-2005, 12:59 AM
Anyone else hate "Works in Progress " with a passion like myself?

Current WiP that are pissing me off, mainly cause I like them and they dont seem to fucking update:

Black Ascension
Lord of Destruction
Dakaath ( Though I've seen frequents updates here, Gj Serapheth~ )
Shadow Play

I'm on an unbalanced time schuedle with classes and dont have alot of time to lounge around [ well now, thanks to vacation ] checking for updates, and would rather read a story and finish it.

realmess
12-21-2005, 01:21 AM
well, there's only one way to deal with it-read complete fictions. I have over 170 author alerts thanks to ff.net but there are stories that I love that haven't been updated for ages.
RL is a bitch, and I can deal with (even) irregular updates, as long as the author is working. Abandned good fiction just plain pisses me off. I wish authors would just bother typing "on hiatus" or "abandoned" for the sake of my sanity into the summary.

Xiph0
12-21-2005, 01:38 AM
Ditto..

Any fic I have that exceeds two months between updates - since I've had it bookmarked - gets chucked.

realmess
12-21-2005, 01:44 AM
that makes me an optymist- I keep them, but then I don't use bookmarks it's e-mail alerts, so I can deal with it, though sometimes I was suprised by an update-I managed to forget about the fiction. :twisted:

Euphemism
12-21-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't read as much new fanfiction as I used to - usually only stuff that's recommended or by an author I've read before, especially in the post-HBP fandom. Even before, though, I might have the occasional bookmark, but I mostly leave it up to memory, and hitting the 40k word filter on ff.net. If I remember seeing it, great. There was usually something that popped up every other day or so.

I don't mind WIPs too much, as long as they get updated eventually. If they're permanently abandoned, I'm annoyed. If there's the slightest chance that it'll get finished within the next, say, five years, I'm fine with that. Either I'll pick it up when it starts getting updated regularly, or I'll forget about it.

I think it's because I have a short attention span. Horrible for doing homework, or anything else, unfortunately.

Xiph0
12-21-2005, 01:59 AM
I have a short attention span. Horrible for doing homework, or anything else, unfortunately.

Ahmen

sgtoutlaw
12-21-2005, 05:45 AM
I am okay with them as long as they have decently long chapters.

Though I am sometimes mad when I find a story I don't remember and have to read like half the chapter to remember the actual story behind it.

Btw, I have over 250 Story Alerts :shock:

Miss Selarne
12-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Though I am sometimes mad when I find a story I don't remember and have to read like half the chapter to remember the actual story behind it.

That's what I keep running into. Right now I still have six stories in my inbox that I've got to read. But I don't remember anything about them. So I've gotta go back and read all the chapters which I'm just too lazy to do. Maybe now that I'm on vacation I will.

WIPs I'm fine with. As long as they are working on it and plan to get out a chapter within the next couple of months. Especially if its a good story, I'll wait. I've got plenty of On Hiatus and a couple of Adandoned stories on my story alert, but I keep them there, just in case.

Psst...I've only got about 160 story alerts.

sgtoutlaw
12-21-2005, 08:10 AM
I use gmail and have a filter for all my fic emails where it automatically archives them. So the number that is by the section is how many fanfictions I have in my story alerts that have been updated. It ranges from around 5 most days.

Sometimes though I will get so sick of some and will let them set for a long while while I go read a real book, of course an ebook, but in any case.

MadEyes
12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
I really dont mind Works in Progress, and I wont say anything about them since saying anything bad about them would make me a hypocrite. So I just wait and hope that the authors have enough time to write and update their stories. After all, I do understand the ways in which life gets in the way sometimes.

*Shrugs*

Oh, and I have close to 340 alerts on FF.net alone. I wont go into any other sites. :wink:

Nymph
12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't really mind WIP as long as there is a slight chance that it will get updated.

Oh, and I have close to 340 alerts on FF.net alone. I wont go into any other sites. :wink:

I go for quality rather than quantity so I only have like 50 stories on my Story Alert list. The sad thing is that more than half is already officially abandoned. How I hate fanfiction sometimes... it's too nerve wrecking waiting for an update of a really good story.

MadEyes
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
oh, but the ones I have on alert are quite good, Its just that ive read so many fics. Whith the quantity im watching Im guaranteed at least one update every day, which helps with the wait for the good ones, along with the books.

nonjon
12-29-2005, 09:12 PM
I have zero author and story alerts, because well I get enough spam. I just add everything I want to read to my C2 and sort them by updated. There's a few authors whose favorites pages I check frequently for suggested reading. But usually I'll just check other C2 communities, sort them by newest added to find new fics that I didn't know about. Being able to sort the C2's by recently added is the best part about them. Wish favorites pages could do that.

Too many fics start getting crappy though, and I don't even bother with even when I do see updates. Just too lazy to remove from my C2. If there's nothing new it's easy to just go to a page at the back of the C2 and re-read decent old fics.

Midknight
12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
self righteous plug.

Be sure to check the C2 we have started. (the staff here) It's supposed to be our approved, as in not total shit, fic list. It'll be added to more over the weekend, but there's already several in there that I myself hadn't seen.

Nymph
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I have notrhing to do now so I might as well look at that C2 community....

Xiph0
12-29-2005, 11:31 PM
self righteous plug.

Be sure to check the C2 we have started. (the staff here) It's supposed to be our approved, as in not total shit, fic list. It'll be added to more over the weekend, but there's already several in there that I myself hadn't seen.

I've subscribed under my Prongs2k account, saw it in Ravens sig.

Cervus
12-30-2005, 07:50 AM
I don't mind WIP's at all, and I can wait for an update as long as the story is worthwhile. I would be a bit of an hypocrite if I gave up on a story that hadn't been updated in a few weeks, when my last update took me over a month wouldn't I?

As for this author alert thing. I myself tend to go by memory. If a story is good then it sticks in my memory and the next time I see it after a search I check it out. It's been a long time since I actually looked at whats in my favourites list, no doubt a load of fics that haven't been updated in about six months.

Lutris
12-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Uh...Mid? You might want to check that one out again. There's an H/G in there somewhere. I saw it just a few hours ago when i checked.

Lord Ravenclaw
12-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Uh...Mid? You might want to check that one out again. There's an H/G in there somewhere. I saw it just a few hours ago when i checked.

Just because it's a Harry/Ginny doesn't make it a bad story. Granted, most of them are horrible, but there are a few good ones.

Nymph
12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Just because it's a Harry/Ginny doesn't make it a bad story. Granted, most of them are horrible, but there are a few good ones.

I agree. It's only bad if it has those overly used cliches and the same boring plots with 'good boy' Harry. Sadly, most of H/G are like that.... FF.net should have a filter to separate all of those.

Midknight
12-30-2005, 10:01 PM

Aye. We've went over this numerous times. The pairing sucks horribly in canon and in like 90%+ of fanon fics, but occasionally you'll find something readable.

LT2000
12-30-2005, 10:07 PM
*Absolutely, positively refuses to comment on this subject.*

Xiph0
12-31-2005, 12:24 AM
*Absolutely, positively refuses to comment on this subject.*

*Concurs and leaves the building *

Midknight
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
*throws some Ginny juice at both of you for adding pointless posts on a subject that we've already covered numerous times*

Don't like it, you don't have to read it, but there's no need to say anything about it, especially when you're saying that you're saying nothing. Capice?

Lord Ravenclaw
12-31-2005, 01:38 AM
Post whoring v. (pōst hrēng)
1. Posting of useless messages in an improper situation.
2. See Post Whoring >READ< (http://darklordpotter.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1303)

Ex 1. Johnny post-whored on his favorite bulletin board by posting "I concur" to a statement.
Ex 2. Johnny clicked on the link and ceased to post-whore after reading the aforementioned warning.

Lord Supremo
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Ravenclaw you may want to put a new version of that link up cuz when I click it it says "The topic or post you requested does not exist"

Midknight
01-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Ravenclaw you may want to put a new version of that link up cuz when I click it it says "The topic or post you requested does not exist"

Ty, I'd forgotten to update his post. I added the Post whoring thread to the rule thread. It can now be found here as an addendum

http://darklordpotter.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107

Dark Jedi Vengence
06-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Some of them are good if updated frequently and you know if they actually plan to. its sad when the really good storys dont update for like a year.
a really good one is Inquiring Minds by C.Night its really good but sadly has not been updated in months. seriously, if your going to write a story finish it!!!

Yarrgh!
06-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Meh...WIPs are fine. You can't hate them, really...all finished stories used to be WIPs at some point...and the readers then must ahve bitched then.

If a fic is good, then i don't mind waiting for the update. For instance, Taliath's fic is excellent...i don't mind waiting if it means that i'll get another excellent chap to read. Hopefully, some people feel the same about my fics, even though i take a devil of a time updating.

But yes...when i sit down to read a fic, i much prefer it t be completed and long. Then i can get through the fic in one go rahter than piss aorund waiting for updates and reread the story fifty times to understand where i am.

*brandishes cutlass at WIP-haters* "Arr..."

Randeemy
06-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I very rarely start a fic unless it is complete. Only if it is recommended in here, and has over 70k.

KANE
06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I hardly ever read new fics. I used to search for keywords but nowadays i just read from 'favourites' of some authors. I usually only read them of they are complete or AT LEAST 100,000 words. That way, if the story is abandoned, i still get a bit of a good read out of it.

Myst
06-07-2006, 12:08 AM
mmm, I tend to find new stories by doing a 20k+ word search with Action/Adventure as the genre.

my Alert list is.. quite filled with fics.

I dont mind WIPs at all, even if the author takes months to update, Ive got so many alerts, always got something to read.

I never have trouble remembering what happened to, even after 3 months without an update. I read around 2 paragraphs into the new chapter and presto, the entire plot comes back to me.

John Croaker
06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
I actually don't mind WIP, as long as update will be made in less than 2 month time.