1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Dr. Strange Lulz, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

I've been waiting for this game eagerly ever since I first heard about it, I finally decided to check DLP to see if there was any mention of it. Having found none, I decided to throw this out there for you guys to check out.

So, enjoy.

Don't skip the intro movie, its glorious.

Basically its going to be epic,

It's got a decent concept that cleverly introduces a new character into the Star Wars mix for us to actually give a shit about. If done correctly then I'm guessing we'll probably see sequels with the apprentice.

Haden Blackman doesn't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to Star Wars fans. Many hold him equally responsible along with SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) for destroying Star Wars Galaxies with the CU (Combat Upgrade) and the NGE (New Game Enhancements). I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it works out here.

EDIT: Also thought I'd mention, its currently rumored that BIOWARE (The makers of the original Knights of the Old Republic) is supposedly developing a KOTOR MMO, not quite sure how its going to work... but I'm quite excited.

DIGG.com - KOTOR MMO in Development

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

While I find the concept of the game attractive and ass kicking, Darth Vader and Yoda look like fucking noobs if you compare their powers to those eshibited by this "apprentice".

I mean, c'mon, for Yoda it was difficult to raise a ship from the water deeply concentrated, and this guy stops a star destroyer in mid-air single-handed? They killed jedi powers.

I would've loved even more a game in which they did a good job with saber combat. That would've been great. This is like reading a bad Uber!Harry fic...

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Well, it's pretty difficult to compare examples of the force and lightsaber combat in the original trilogy to anything that followed.

Compare Obi-Wan's battle with Vader in A New Hope to the one in Revenge of the Sith... doesn't really make sense... or compare in any manner.

But I can totally see where you're coming from.

Opposed to KOTOR and Jedi Knight, it sounds like the Apprentice will have a far more limited amount of force abilities, having only 4 core powers that can be combined in different ways.

EDIT: Also, just found this in the production diaries.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  4. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Isn't this not comming out for like a year though?

5. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Spring '08 if everything goes well and it doesn't turn into a train wreck of problems like Oblivion or the Wii did.

6. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

To set the record straight on this point, it's highly highly unlikely no matter now much I (or we?) may want it. Bioware have stated that they want to work on original IPs for now (hence Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and to some extent Jade Empire). If anyone was to develop a KOTOR MMO it would likely be Obsidian, the company behind KOTOR 2, since it is they who have expressed the interest and willingness to continue working in the KOTOR universe.

7. Dr. Strange Lulz

True, they have stated that. But in the end, money talks. Considering the popularity of the original KOTOR compared to that of the sequel, I think that Lucasarts would probably give it to Bioware over Obsidian. Not to mention the fact that most of the old SWG players who left due to the complete fuck ups that ruined the game, would likely start back up in this new MMO. Galaxies at this point is just complete fail.

I played Galaxies from Beta up until just prior to the Trials of Obi-Wan expansion, I can tell you right now... A HUGE portion of the game populace left between the Combat Upgrade and the New Game Enhancements. If done correctly, I think a KOTOR MMO will bring in a great number of those ex players.

8. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

I've heard about this before in an interview. One of the game's designers said that it isn't the apprentice who is overpowered, but that the death of so many Jedi(during this period in time) is causing the Force itself to become unbalanced and chaotic. Resulting in runaway force powers for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy shit.

I couldn't care less about continuity problems in regards to power as long as it plays great, and that looks PIMP.

Besides, in the EU, the surviving Jedi in the later years attain some siiiiick powers

10. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    There needs to be a Wii starwars game where you actually have to fight with your lightsaber withe the controller o.o

11. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

My god how much I want this game...

12. X-Man

X-Man Second Year

13. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I will buy a wii just for this game.

14. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Why am I the only one wondering why Darth Vader's apprentice is massacring imperial troops?

15. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Emperor is unaware of the existence of Vader's apprentice and, subsequently, his plans for the Galactical Throne; therefore after completing his missions, apprentice eliminates all witnesses - in almost all cases this means troops who helped him.

16. Lecter

Lecter Seventh Year

Mmm...improved Jedi Academy. Sweet.

17. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

So we have:
    Darth Sidious
    who is the master of
    Darth Vader
    who is the master of
    Unknown apprentice
    who has plans to overthrow Darth Sidious

Sure we're talking about backstabbing sith but still, it doesn't sound that reasonable. One videotape, or one sensing a disturbance in the force or whatever and we have:

Darth Sidious
    who bitchslaps
    Darth Vader
    who bitchslaps
    Unknwon apprentice

18. Dr. Strange Lulz

Correction.

Vader has plans to overthrow the emperor. He even mentioned the idea in Episode 3. The apprentice is carrying out Vader's orders (Assassinations, etc.) and thus cannot be seen so he could be traced back to Vader in any way, which is why he eliminates Stormtroopers who have witnessed his infiltration into a facility, witnessed one of his many assassinations, or kinda just got a glance at him.

19. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

One of the games in a long list of games that I wish to get once I get the money to buy a plasma tv and PS3.