1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crossovers, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by darkinferno9908, Jan 2, 2006.

?

How do you feel about crossovers?

1. They're okay.

93.8%
  2. No way.

2.2%
  3. Only if the other characters aren't god-like or hold a big part in the story.

4.0%
  1. darkinferno9908

darkinferno9908 Second Year

As a writer, sometimes I run across parts that I can't just figure out where to go with them so I toss in another character from somewhere else. How do you guys feel about crossovers such as Harry Potter with Naruto, Ranma, Sailor Moon, and other anime characters?

I'm fine with them myslef, as long as they don't become full major parts of the story (unless it's written really well) and are there for like backup or training or something among those lines.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dont mind crossovers so long as they are REALLY good but very few are.... so i avoid them...

NOTE: I moved this to fanfic discussion ... perosnally felt it belonged there *shrugs*

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I agree.

I like crossovers as long as they aren’t crossovers with Naruto or some other "lame" cartoon. :)

Some Starwars, Stargate, LOTR, Charmed crossovers are really good in my opinion so I all for those kind of fics.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Same with me really.

Certain shows just wouldnt meld together with the Harry Potter World very good. A lot of anime are very childish so it kind of ruins the seriousness you want in a Harry Potter story. Though, if your a good author then you can meld the two together and make it as believable as possible it wont turn out like that.

The only crossovers I've ever liked were Sheeza's with Stargate and Ruskbyte's with Hellraiser. I've read a few Cardcaptor Sakura ones and they were alright because they were more serious. Thats about all the crossovers I've read.

5. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

They are ok as long as its well done course.. I have a few read hp/lotr, sw, btvs

6. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've never read a crossover. It's not that I have a personal grudge against them, It's just that they have never been able to garner my interest. And of course there's the fact that I have never seen or read any of the books or TV shows that most of these a crossed with.

So I guess I'm not really qualified to vote in this poll, though I should imagine a good writer can make things mould together with a bit of hard work.

7. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I think i can get into them if there good but some are really...really...umm really bad and it gives othere's that do the same a bad name. Meh i think shezza has one of the best cross overs.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I don't really have a strong opinion on them either way. It's like asking 'do you like action fics?' As long as there is a reason for it, and it makes for an intriguing story, great. Sounds interesting. Most of the time though, your audience is going to be far smaller, as many HP fanfic readers may not watch the same anime's as you. And have no interest in a story with that anime. I think the movie crossovers like PotC and LOTR (yes i know those are books, but more people know the movies than have read the books) can appeal easier to a wider audience, but you're still pigeonholing the people who would take an interest in your story.

Naturally, I'd prefer a story with characters and themes I'm familiar with over one with a bunch of toons and backstory I know nothing about. But if you pick a toon I like, or otherwise, then that's aces.

Of course most of the crossovers with LOTR and PotC are just to add in more hawt sexy men to rub members with Harry, in which case... no thanks. I've never gotten into Stargate SG-1 so that made Shezza's fics less interesting than his fics that dealt only with the HP world, but were I a SG-1 fan, I'd probably feel differently.

9. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

Those specific ones, horrible. I'd never read 'em. I'm very pro crossovers that actually fit. Anything that occurs on Earth circa 1990's can potentially work. I think the biggest problem is ppl try to match up universes on different timelines or that have absolutely NOTHING in common, even thematically. I admit a small (huge) personal bias against anything animated, but thats me. I think Buffy, Blade, Charmed, X-Men (canonical comics only, not Ultimate, movies, toons), Stargate, and a number of others work well. I think LOTR, Star Wars and Star Trek are bad, because most writers don't give a believable transition between the two universes. I have a softspot for HP/Smallville, but only because of one fic and the idea, but I can't find an accurate timeline for Smallville.

10. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    It's generally pretty difficult to mend the bridge between x-overs, so the only ones that normally could make it are HP related magic/fantasy realms I think...like LoTR. Ugh, I realized it's probably better just to pull the ideas/characters and make them HP than bring in a whole universe.

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I agree with Midknight, in that the universe looses a little in a xover... I have only enjoyed Demon God's because of what angels/demons/baal/mephisto/diablo open up, plot-wise. TBH I never really followed the `story` of D2 when I was playing it, I just wanted to poison shit and raise the dead. :lol:

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

You read the Hell Raiser one, didnt you Midknight? :p

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah I did, I shoudl of said something like I avoid them at all costs instead. I only read the Hellraiser one after everyone praised it to high hell and back. I still didn't like it, it was well written, but it was overdone on violence and had a very OOC Harry. The inculsion of pretty much anything not Harry Potter, no matter who's written it thus far, always winds up turning Harry into just a similarly named OC, and ruins everything.

15. ShadowedDarkness

ShadowedDarkness Second Year

If I know the show/book/movies and if it is well done then yes crossovers are fine. Then again given the scarcity of good fics out there it might be too much to hope for.

16. Lunarian

Lunarian Third Year

I must be of a different mind then most people here on this subject. I personally prefer a crossover to a pure one series story, since most things feel bland and already seen otherwise.

That's not to say I'll read any old crossover, I still need it to make sense how they come together and not lose focus on the main character in in favor of the other series characters. There's two Hp/Naruto Xovers that I can stand, one was HP being Haku and the other was him being an elder fox demon.

Sometimes a Xover is a good way for Harry to say 'Screw you, you're on your own' to the Wizarding world, I like those.

17. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Well, I was working on a Hellsing/HP cross over at the animeaddventure starts here.

It died out though, but if anyone here is willing to join on and help it continue I'd be very much in your debt.

Or should I just edit it to clean up the plotholes (all multi-author stories grow them) and continue it as a normal fic?

18. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Somebody ever wrote a Hitman 47 crossover with HP?
    Cause its sounds interesting. :D
    This fic "Superior Hederetiry" can use Hitman to train Harry

19. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I didn't even know Ruskbyte's story was a Hellraiser crossover. I just thought he had a very scary imagination. I can stand most crossovers, but only if they have a legitimate explanation of the joining of the universes.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Personally I don't mind cross-overs, and I view them the way I view slash...

As long as it (the cross-over or the slash) doesn't overshadow the elements of the story and its plot I have no issue with it.

With that said, I don't like reading Draco kissing harry anymore than I like reading Jedi! X-Man! Justice League! Star Trek! Star Gate! Harry