1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rare Pairings

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lucullus, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

What are the rare pairings you guys would want to see in fics? Also, do you guys know of any fics that feature such pairings?

By rare pairings I really mean rare, hardly ever seen pairings like Harry/Hestia, Harry/Lavender, Harry/Lisa Turpin etc.

I don't consider Harry/Susan, Harry/Daphne, Harry/Pansy etc to be rare. They are just not that common.

I guess I'm really interested to see if there exists a decent Harry/Romilda fic. Blame Tinn- Her Romilda Vane in "The Song of Trees" sparked my interest in this ship. :D

If you know of any decent fics with such pairings, why not list them here for us to enjoy?

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I haven't seen any fics with those pairings, to be honest. Would be nice though, eh?

3. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

Big D's Harry Potter and the Holyhead Harem had a Hestia/Harry pairing, but he seemingly has abandoned it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Does anyone know of any decent Harry/PatilTwins?

6. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Well, the best one I've read is Not Bloody Likely. Although the pace is a little slow on the twins romance front, but really that's better then rushing it. Click here if you want the adult fan fiction link.

The story improves as it progresses.

7. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Depends, are you looking for strictly Harry/PatilTwins or will other women mixed in count?

8. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

That's the fic that made me interested in Harry/Hestia. :D

Hmm, perhaps I should have mentioned to keep this thread Harry-centric. I doubt most DLPers will care to see any pairings involving Ron or whatnot. But thanks for the input anyway.

There are quite a few, but I don't really think that Harry/Padma, Harry/Parvati or Harry/BothPatils are rare enough for this thread. :(

Also, can we please limit the thread to single pairings ie. no Harry/Multi or Harry/Harem?

Now I'm gonna find that Harry/Lisa one-shot I read a while ago and post it up. It's nothing special, IIRC, but still it's the only H/Lisa I know of.

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

-sniffs in disdain.-

Daphne was rare back when I started shipping her.

10. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I know man, I know. Back then when I started shipping Harry/Daphne, why, few people even recognized the name Greengrass. I remember that Big D's fic was the ONLY Harry/Daphne out there.

Even when I started writing my crap fic three years ago, and wrote of Harry being taken in by the Greengrass family, I had reviewers asking me where the hell I got the name Greengrass from because they apparently saw no such name in the books. -_-

Yes, my Harry/Daphne love goes that far back. :D

Now it is pretty common though. I would certainly not call it a rare pairing. Harry/Tracey maybe, but not Harry/Pansy or Harry/Daphne.

EDIT: As promised, I've found the Harry/Lisa Turpin one-shot. It's titled Dragonflies. It's nothing exceptional, but makes for a pretty good, if not short, read. Plus it's the only H/Lisa fic I know of. Also, damn FF.nazi for removing Lisa Turpin from the character dropdown list. You put Leanne (Katie Bell's friend in HBP), someone far more obscure in there and you take out my Lisa! :(

Feel free to contribute more fics with rare pairings that are Harry-centric!

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Rare, huh?

I recall a Harry/Millicent oneshot on (found it) livejournal: Grown Ups
    I remembered it because it's not every day you see HP/MB. Period.

The rare(ish) pairings I like tend to fall into that middle ground where there are a number of stories that feature them, so they aren't really rare, but they either suck or they go for one or two chapters before they get abandoned or they are oneshots that are also too god awful to bother with.

In that category we have H/Bella, H/Narcissa, H/Lily, H/Slytherin Girl. Too many to be rare but so very few worth reading. We don't necessarily need more stories with these pairings, just better ones than we have now; ones that get completed.

If there was some kind of dark ritual where I could erase a hundred, even a thousand, shitty fics from existence in exchange for good, innovative, novel-length fics with pairings that aren't played out, I'd do it. I'd do it in a heartbeat and the author of every last shitty Albus Severus/Scorpius fic could kiss my ass because it's last in, first out in the shitty-fic roundup. WIKTT authors, don't plan on crossing the state line before the investigation closes.

12. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

How about moar Harry/Katie Bell, Harry/Alicia Spinnet, or Harry/Angelina Johnson. Maybe even a little Harry/Madame Rosmerta. Or... I could go with a little cross species shipping and go with Harry/Winky. Also there is the "where in the hell did that come from" factor with a Harry/Eloise Midgen (you know, the girl with the severe acne?). Harry/Penelope Clearwater anyone? Not sure how "rare" these pairings are, but non the less I would like to see more of 'em.

13. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Oh, that Harry/Millicent ficlet was a nice read! Good find, I say.

I loved this most: "Draco Malfoy, who was short and anaemic looking, with a face like a malnourished rat". It already wins because of this.

You also have a point in mentioning that there are some pairings that are not that uncommon, but have very few fics well-written fics featuring them. As far as Harry/Narcissa is concerned, there is only one fic worth reading- Narcotic Effects. The rest are either PWP smut, Harry/Harem, or are simply crap.

I would in fact put Harry/Fleur in this category too. I've never read a really good H/F fic.

Edit: I'd like to see Harry/Penelope too. But the only one I remember that sort of feature the pairing is LT2000's The Happy Red Prince, though it technically is sort of a Harry/Multi (at that point anyway).

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Glad to be of service.

I'd venture to say that Black Heir is good but more as a comedy than as a serious attempt at a romantic pairing (thus far). Was Winter Sunlight any good? I remember that being one of the earlier H/NM fics I came across but right after I remembered the title, I realized I was mentally attaching the title to the plot of Narcotic Effects.

Didn't Harry attempt to put the moves on Penelope in The Lie I've Lived, only to get cockblocked by Oliver Wood?

Edit: LOL, I just remembered, Harry boned Penelope in Evolving Necromancy. Do NOT blame me if you look up that fic. Hahahahaha.

The only examples of these that come to mind are already pretty well known here. (Alicia = Aren't Little Girls Made of Sugar and Spice?, Angelina = Lessons).
    I started a oneshot with Harry/Skeeter once but it would likely make the DLP crowd gag (me included, despite my rampant sappiness).

The biggest part I've ever seen her have in a fic was in Dr T's Harry and the Six Virgins. Yeah...

While I was hunting down the link I posted, I saw a rec list of Millicent stories (mostly oneshots, I would imagine) and, oddly enough, the most common pairing seemed to be Millicent/Hermione :eek: followed by MB/Pansy. Pansy I understand, being in Millie's house and year, but Hermione?

Do you get the impression that even the people that like her assume she can't find a date outside her gender OR do they simply prefer Millicent to be portrayed as a lesbian? I'll go out on a limb and say that it's because deep down, they assume other girls, unlike guys, can get that close to her without being clotheslined and curb-stomped. They think a little sapphic sensuality will bring out her tender side, as opposed to her mountain troll side. :devil:

Then again, maybe all the Millie/Hermione business is simply because her biggest scene in canon is wrestling Hermione to the ground during dueling club in second year.

In all likelihood, I'll never check them out because I can't say Millicent would interest me, beyond the curiosity of seeing her paired with Harry (which is ironic because I once wrote some scenes where Millicent cornered Harry and demanded he help hook her up with Ron. Hehe.).

Well, what do you know, beyond the aforementioned scenes, this is the most I've ever written (or thought) about Bulstrode.

15. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

How did you people find the Harry/Lisa fic?

And I know I said Harry/Pansy isn't that uncommon, but I just found a one-shot. Thought it pretty good too.

Link

16. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thanks Lucullus, that was a nice read.

Really it depends what you call rare. Percentage wise, anything not Harry/Slut, Harry/Slash is a fucking needle in a hay stack. Even if we are simply talking about numbers in general, a Harry/Bella where Bella is actually Bellatrix, and not some marriage contract redemption piece of crap suddenly shrinks the ship massively.

Same goes for any of the others - Hannah, Susan, fuck, even Tonks as a quirky, fun individual and not a self-insert is pretty tough to find. If there's a cache out there that I'm unaware of that makes these "uncommon but not rare" then point me in the right direction and I'll piss off for a while to blitz-read.

Basically, these "rare" characters are fairly interchangable from the get go, and it's up to the author to give them a personality. I think that's why we see so much more Daphne than Tracey - it's a nicer "hotter" name. There's no canon reason to pick one over the other. Same with the others - Padma is visualized as more interesting/hotter than Lisa Turpin or Mandy (who quite frankly I don't really like cause Brocklehurst sounds more like food than a girl) or else people fall back on Luna or Cho.

That being said, there is no excuse for the lack of Harry/Chasers. That's just bad form.

17. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Vlad's got a point. The reason for the serious lack of 'rare' pairings is the fact there's not really any background on them. The most you generally get is a description, so most don't go to the trouble of fleshing them out. As for my preference, there needs to be some more Harry/Millicent love. Any girl who puts Hermione in a headlock goes in my good books.

The closest I've ever found is the Harry Potter Rareslash Archive. Belying the name though, it also deals with femslash.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

"Madam Rosmerta, you are trying to seduce me."

19. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Harry/Madam Malkins anyone

Rawr...

20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

In the Eye of the Beholder
    Status: Work in progress, last updated on Wednesday 13th June 2007 6:39am
    Rating: Teens +Roughly equivalent to a 15 rating in the UK.
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama
    Year: 1996
    Word Count: 21,871
    Reviews: 60
    Chapters: 2
    Summary: Most everyone knows a pretty woman that can be described as “pleasingly plump.” She might be sincerely called “big and beautiful,” or the word “rubenesque” is used at its most complimentary. She has a delightful personality and such a great smile that most people over look her size.

No one ever described Millicent Bulstrode that way.

A post-OotP Paladin Parallel Universe story, AU to my other two.

This was actually a pretty nice HP/MB pairing. It hasn't really gotten to the shipping stage yet, but it set up the scenerio quite nicely.