1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

There’s a bit of a difference between the several dozen full blood Veela there were at the world cup and a single quarter blood. And while he was affected at the world cup he was much better off than the others.

Also you need to take into account the ease with which he can throw off the imperious curse which is the most powerful compulsion curse in the Wizarding world. If Veela charm was more powerful then I have no doubt the Ministry would have passed god knows how many laws to regulate them.

They're just creatures after all. A creature using their innate ability to control a wizard? Kill it with fire!

2. Methene

Methene Auror

I think Harry resisting the Veela charm is fannon, but it can be accepted due to the fact that Harry has shown some skill at repelling the Imperius Curse. Granted, Voldemort was not trying to appeal to Harry sexually, but it is still a form of mind persuasion.

That being said, I like Manatheron's idea of Harry asking Fleur out in the great hall. Perhaps he could do it after Ron has done it, but before Ron told Harry he did, so that he further degrades Won-won.

EDIT: Now, now, creatures can be used to refer to house elves, goblins and other such beings, but me I always had a soft spot for Veelas. I see them as being far more accepted in society than other creatures.

I disagree with the fire statement. Overkill, when Avada Kedavra works best.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  3. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Being able to throw off the Imperius does not necessarily mean Harry can resist the Veela charm. I for one think that he would still be affected by a single full-blooded Veela. Fleur, being a quarter-Veela, has a charm that is probably too diluted to affect him.

But you must understand that there is a difference between the Veela charm and the Imperius. The Imperius places the victim under the caster's direct command. The caster could order his victim to do anything, while the Veela charm merely entrances him. The Veela cannot command the poor guy to do anything. He will probably be struck with a distracting compulsion to get near and impress her, and not be able to concentrate on anything else, but that is all.

Whatever you read about Veela's being able to command their victims to do their bidding is all purely fanon.

Also, you can say, the charm does have the disadvantage that it has no effect whatsoever on any female. Hence, Harry being able to resist the Imperius while still remaining affected by the Veela charm does not mean the charm is more powerful or some rubbish like that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  4. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

I haven't actually read it anywhere, it was a mere example. The Veela allure and Imperious curse are two different types of compulsion, but they are compulsion charms none the less.

And while you are correct in saying the Veela cannot directly order the victims it wouldn't take a great leap to assume someone completely enthralled would be very eager to please.

5. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

No. All it will do from what we have seen is make males focus all their attention on them, be eager to get closer to them and try to impress them in whatever manners they deem fit. Remember how Stan Shunpike and some others were making up stuff to impress the bunch of Veela? That was all they did. They did not start bowing down and worshipping the Veela or waiting for a command. Neither did they clamour to "please" them.

Likewise, when Fleur asked for the bouillabaise(sp?), Ron, who was clearly affected by her charm, merely gawked at her like a drooling retard, instead of promptly obeying her wishes. Harry had to get it for her.

6. Methene

Methene Auror

Actually I agree with Lucullus here. While a weak minded Weasley might go so far as obey every command with sufficient persuasion and development from a full blood Veela, my suggestion is to not turn Veelas into the uber magical creatures that control the World aspects from the backstage.

Every creature has strengths and weaknesses, but I would steer clear from making a Veela similar to how some Vampire!Harry fics portrayed vampires.

7. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Where do people get the idea that a Veela, full-blooded or not, can compel males to obey their commands?

I doubt even the most weak-minded male would obey the wishes of a full Veela. His sole attention would be on how devastatingly beautiful she is, and would also be babbling on about rubbish that I doubt he would even register her wishes or commands. It's like trying to order about a group of mindless zombies (except these zombies spout nonsense and are attracted to you instead of wanting to eat you). Completely impossible.

8. malaga

malaga Auror

Oh God, that idea deserves mind bleach and not another mention. Seriously, a thread about Harry and a hot 1/4 veela doesn't need that mental picture!

9. Methene

Methene Auror

Malaga, I was merely attempting to overemphasize the difference. Granted, the imagery is pretty rank and I swear to never mention it ever again in a thread dedicated to Harry/Fleur. I might make a sarcastic reference to it in some other place.

How is your story coming along?

10. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Recently I have found this pairing to be very interesting... the only problem being is that I cannot find many(if any) good stories... Same problem after I read one good Harry/Fem!blaise fic and couldnt find another :(

So does anyone have any suggestions of a good AU GoF fanfic that has Harry/Fleur in it? would greatly appreciate any suggestions

Luke

11. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Fash, look through previous posts. And how about we get an update on everyone's progress towards their holiday goal. Does anyone think they are going to make it? I mean it'd be pretty crappy for someone to win by default.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Only at about 10k words here, fwiw, though it'll take 80k or so to tell this story right. An okay start on "Rose and Dagger" (working title), but I have to figure out a couple of plot bits in the midgame. Probably won't bother showing anything until I'm at least 1/2 the way there, but I wouldn't be averse to giving a quick summary if anyone actually gave a crap.

My French is rusty--last time I tried speaking it I was spending a month in northern France years ago and was struggling mightily. Anyone with a clue (i.e. not me--I only speak English, Mandarin, and Spanish; I'm a physicist, not a linguist) care to translate "the boy who lived" for me? Off the top of my head, I have "le garçon qui a véca?" but I doubt that's right. (I never could conjugate worth shite).

13. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

KtheGreat I have looked though all the previous posts, im not that stupid :p but I noticed there had not been any rec's in a while so I was hoping someone might have stumbled across one.

14. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I've had a lot going on over here, so I haven't actually started the writing yet. But I will, and it'll be good!

Or at least, not completly crappy.

15. Methene

Methene Auror

I admit, covered in shame, for not actually putting a single letter to paper, or rather Word in this case. The original deadline for 20,000 words was New Year's Eve, but since Christmas Holiday is starting I won't get any writing done.

I admit to being rather subjective, but as KtheGreat stated it would be a pity for someone to win by default. I vote to move the deadline for 20,000 words to the end of January, with the panel of judges reviewing the stories and the general public voting starting February.

Authors agree?

16. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I've decided that I'd try my hand at this challenge, and as stated earlier I agree with moving the deadline.

17. Lord Mysterious

Lord Mysterious Squib

I still have yet to find time to start so I too would vote for moving the deadline.

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'm not sure if I'll compete my story in this contest, as I originally just set out to write it in parallel. I'm at about 25k words right now, about 1/3 of the way through. No preference here if you were extend the deadline.

19. malaga

malaga Auror

Well, I'm in favour of moving it. I only have about a thousand words, and I don't like what I do have.

I think my problem is that from the beginning I had one main idea, but no real way to get there. A lot more planning will be needed, but quite difficult to do over the christmas months as our whole extended family will be in one, rather small, house.

February works much, much, better for me.

20. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Feb.?

Hmmm... that might be sufficient time to try my hand at it as well... we'll see though, I already claimed to be aiming for more rapid updates for the other stories I've sold myself to.

Though perhaps a oneshot.......

{Walks away Muttering}