1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Registry Cleaning

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mage, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Does anyone have a registry cleaning program that they absolutley trust. All the ones that I have been able to find are like by about half the people at best which really doesn't make me feel comfortable with them. Thanks

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I use Registry Mechanic and Ccleaner's registry cleaning systems on the Windows machines I still have.

Just remember to back up when it asks you to. I haven't ever needed to restore anything, but it'd suck if you were left without them.

3. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ccleaner is the one I use. I never have had problems with it. Go Here to download it.

4. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Er yeah this is much more than you asked for, though it is posted more for anyone that does not already know about such things...

Other than the ones previously mentioned I do not have any recommendations that are not free/opensource. Best advice be sure to backup your registry (and critical system files) on a regular basis and have a good bootable live cd/dvd, so you can fix whatever in the event something goes wrong.

Also I advise you not to clean the registry too often, even for those of us that do a very large amount of installing and uninstalling software, no more than once every several months should be needed. For those with far less degree of activity no more than 6 months to a year if not longer.

Between such heavy cleanings, using applications such as adaware, spybot search and destroy, plus a good virus scanner should keep a system running smoothly. Well those and using disk defragmentators as often as the registry cleaners.

5. pieman3141

pieman3141 First Year

Personally, I wouldn't advise such a plan. They're often useless, and have potential to mess up your system (and that, depending on your skills, could just be a nuisance, or a gut-clenching moment-of-doom).

Instead, use:
    1. Common sense. Is the site trusted? Does that e-mail look suspicious? Is the filename or file size or file extension wrong? These things should be blatantly obvious with experience.

2. Ad-aware/Spybot/HijackThis for adware and spyware should deal with most problems, unless it's one of those nasty Chinese-based spyware. Then you've got problems (voice of experience speaking).

3. Re-format if you can't fix it. I've never used BartPE before, but it IS a tool which fixes problems. Google it.

It's mostly preparation and discipline, if you want a well-running system. Even reformatting shouldn't take you THAT long if you've got your drivers handy.

Side note: Do not defragment. It is useless on any operating system made after Windows 2000, by any major OS distributor. It does not make your system noticeably faster, and will serve only to hasten the death of your hard drive. Hard drive deaths are miserable events.

6. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Why bump for that?

Registry cleaners which are trusted work extremely well in removing old registry entries and such. How on earth would they ruin a system without the user input being incorrect in the first place?

Common sense and precautions = well protected PC.

And your little comment on defragging, completely incorrect. Get a real defragging program other than the inbuilt system tool and you will see the major impact defragging has on a hard drive and it will increase it's life as less reading is required to find the parts of the file if they are not scattered all over the place, hence fragmentation.

Windows has never had a good defraggmentation utility, period.

I'd hate to see you trying to fix a clients mistreated and abused PC. A format isn't always an option. It may cure everything, but it is not always the most appropriate solution, client drivers take a lot of time to get together plus the time it takes to backup their data and settings.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

And with this you lost much of the credibility you may have had. Even the Windows defragmenter makes a difference, as shitty as it is.

I don't think you've ever run the stats on a 1kb file and seen it fragmented into 164 separate 4096 byte blocks. NTFS is notoriously bad with fragmentation. When the HDD has to read 164 blocks scattered around the platter, stuff slows down and it has to do more work.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Regarding defragging. Which defrag programs are people here using for WinXP systems?

I've been trying IOBit's SmartDefrag Beta 4.03. It handles defragging multiple drives one at a time (which is still worlds better than the default Windows defragger), but it is noticeably a beta. And it has an annoying interface which tries to be slick but just gets in the way.

What do the rest of you use?

9. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I used Perfectdisk back then. Worked well enough I guess.

10. pieman3141

pieman3141 First Year

Really? I've always understood that WinXP, OS X, and other such OSs did it themselves. That 4096 KB file, if it was in multiple sectors, would eventually get defragged if the OS thought it was necessary to do so. That's the basis of my no-defragging rule.

11. Helius

Helius Third Year

Feel free to test out your theory that WinXP and other Operating Systems defragment themselves. Vista is the only OS I know of that defragments automatically, and that is by scheduled running of Vista's defrag program.

Try installing a shitload of programs, move a lot of data around, delete a lot of stuff, and repeat until you get a healthy level of fragmentation. If your comp isn't as slow as the peak hour rush after all that, sure, I'll think about your no-defragment rule.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

HFS+ (OSX's filesystem) is very resistent to fragmentation due to a delayed-block allocation scheme that lets it write blocks into more contiguous parts. IIRC, since Panther it does on-the-fly defragmenting when you open a file.

NTFS, however, does not. It's more resistant than FAT32 to fragmentation, but it's still awful at it. In fact, if you format a brand new disk and copy a single file to it, 10:1 it's fragmented. Don't defrag or reformat for some consecutive months and see how great your I/O performance is.