1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Third Magic by Deviate's Fish - T - Fate/Stay Night / Familiar of Zero crossover

Discussion in 'Fate/Stay Night' started by Nargles, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Title: The Third Magic
    Author: Deviate's Fish
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Horror
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 71,901
    Updated: August 15, 2011
    Published: April 15, 2011

Fandom: Fate/stay Night x Familiar of Zero
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Illyasviel thought herself dead, Berserker destroyed, and probably her onii-chan too... But then, she heard the call that she could no longer resist. A slight breaking in the setting may occur.

Link: The Third Magic

So this is another one of those where someone from FSN ends up being Louise's Familiar. First, we had Shiou on The Hill of Swords; then, we had Gilgamesh on Like a King; and now we have Illyasviel.

Actually, the person writing this is the same that's writing Thu'um of A Distant Utopia

Anyway, this takes place right after Illya is killed by Gilgamesh during UBW. The story itself is a lot darker than The Hill of Swords and it has two plots right now: one that follows Illya and another that follows Tiffania. It could get a little troublesome to follow because the two plots haven't crossed paths yet, so it's almost like following two different stories. The author jumps back and forth between them, so you kind of have to get in mood with each change. The atmosphere for both are dark, but one is more... Illya-ish. :p

My favorite part, though, is Illya (obiously). She's just so twisted, cruel, and very sexual. It's fucking great. And she kicks ass in chapter four.

4/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Read it. I actuallly thought this was already in the Library. I could of sworn we were talking about it before. It actually was written before Like a King btw. I think the author's lost interest in this story, too. I give it a 4/5 for what's written now.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Äh--- I could be wrong but I thought that berserker was Hercules and not Heracles...

4. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

They're one in the same. Heracles is the Greek name, and Hercules is the Roman name.

What I liked though, was the fact that Hercules/Heracles comes back as Archer.

5. Erandil

Ah.. thx...

So after I have read it I must say that I really love the parts with Illya but mostly skiped the parts with Tiffania (which is probably not fair to them but Illya is just more interesting). I really hope that this story gets continued.

Btw. How is the Manga/Anime of Familiar of Zero?

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Familiar of Zero is just a regular harem anime, not much more than that. Its quality is pretty average. I suppose it's okay if that's what you want, though. I've heard the novels are better, but since I haven't read them I couldn't tell you.

7. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Before I start, I just want to say that 90% of my knowledge of Familiar of Zero is second hand via rants on it, but the world of Familar of Zero is incredibly interesting with a great secondary characters and a plot that not only has good fights, but interesting politics between the various contries as well. On the other hand, the main character is completely retarded and hasn't learnt a single thing from his experiences. There are barely any differences between the personality of Saito from the very start of the novels and the most recent novel. He hasn't learnt from a single mistake he's made, such as the fact that flirting with girls in front of Louise is a horrible idea and insulting her only makes things worse. Also, although many people complain about Louise being abusive to Saito in the novels, it's not like he goes out of his way to make a good impression on her.

To me, this is the kind of story that's great for fanfiction, there are so many ways that things could be changed to make the story more interesting and if you really wanted to, there are a variety of ways that the story can be crossed over with other fandoms and that's even if you ignore the obvious of summoning a different familiar.

Overall, it's a good series, but don't be surprised when at times you can't help but hate the main characters.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And episode one of the anime portraits an awesome Dumbledore - err - headmaster. This head is how Dumbledore should have been.

In a way it is Harry Potter harem fanfiction. I really enjoyed the first two seasons of the anime.

9. Erandil

Hm.. ok thx... then I will check it out. At least I will know how the characters behave in Canon.

10. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had a lot of fun reading this, and Deviate's a friend of mine. :3

I think this is one of the better Familiar of Zero xovers there are - ever since gabriel blessing's thing, that fandom's been flooded in bad xovers. D8

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I am on the fence on Familiar of Zero, on one hand it is kind of charming but overall, it really doesn't seem to be anything spectacularly good.

What I can't deny, however, is that it has a really perfect setting to cross it with FSN.

And this is one of the better stories in that franchise. I really like Ilya in this and I d'awww'ed when she summoned Berserker back, although, I don't really like how he was written. Hercules always seemed like a world class douche to me, mythology-wise speaking. And while we know that he is, even as a Berserker, insanely loyal to Ilya, it still felt a bit off.

But it makes absolute sense for him to not come here as a Berserker, so I cant really complain.

Also agree with Erandil that the parts with Tiffania were just "meh" and not nearly as interesting as the parts with Ilya, so, I mostly rushed through them in order to get to the good parts.

4/5 for me and I hope the author continues. In the Thu'um thread in a forum, I do remember him/her saying that he continues but I personally hope he focuses on Thu'um first.

As much as I love Ilya, the Saber and the premise of that story are just pure badass.

12. Tesla

Tesla Auror

Eh, it has it's moments, but a lot of the fic is really just not very interesting - the Tiffania scenes in particular. Also, personally, I've just lost all enthusiasm for FofZ crossovers recently, so I suppose I'm a little biased. 3/5 from me.

Having said that, I do like this author, and I'm really excited about the potential of 'ZELRETCH HERO PROJECT'. Shame it doesn't look like it'll be continued.