1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Probably because Hj needs to be looking for the dragon ballz and change his name to Goku to do that.

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Off topic (sorta): I forget whether it was an avatar or a sig (or if I'm imagining altogether), but some member had a screencap of PoA Harry casting his Patronus, but a speech bubble said "Kame-hame-hah!"

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Goku Harry and his friends Krillin Ron and Bulma Hermione are on a quest for the Dragonballs Horcruxes in order to defeat the evil Freeza Voldemort. Along the way Vegeta Snape becomes a 'good guy' and Goku Harry spends some time in a Hyperbolic Time Chamber Trunk in order to train.

fin

Gandalf > Roshi > Dumbledore.

4. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

o_O

._O

Methinks this topic may have gotten a bit off, and is in need of a french nun.

EDIT: It just struck me how wildly amusing it is that the best cliche the fandom can come up with is a Hyperbolic Time Trunk.

Someone want to tempt fate and see if they can't break this one without subjecting themselves to the scorn and ridicule of the board?

Dear gods, now I need a nun.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

You'll be happy to know that Lie 17 is working it's way through the review chain. There are no level 9000 spells, some good HJ/Fluer banter, a "line in the sand" prank from HJ to the twins (early in the chap - which explains the overt hostility in the teaser section from them) and some fairly intense writing towards the end of the chapter.

My plan is to release it Friday morning.

6. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Most excellent. Perhaps with this chapter being handed off, a head start might be in order for TML so we could have updates three consecutive weeks. That would be rather fantastic.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Yeah, that would be ass-rapingly awesome.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

While I can't claim to know how awesome ass raping is, more chapters is always nice.

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

*shrug* I just heard it used as an adjective somewhere. Probably a Halo 3 match.

The gist of it is that updates that close to each other would be so awesome it would rape your ass as a result.

10. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

Good to hear that the twins finally get some direct attention from HJ, beyond the behind the scenes work he has done in the recent past. Intense writing sounds promising also, looking forward to Friday.

11. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

This chapter sounds interesting enough. I've decided to reread this and TML over winter break and then read both the new chapters on Christmas. Should be a good present .

12. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Lie 17 is now released. Sorry about the lack of level 9000 spells - maybe next time.

Still I think that you'll enjoy the idea that medical magic is often based off of Dark Magic. I look forward to the comments.

13. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I lol'ed hard!

14. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

Really digged HJ's solution to dealing with the dragon. I think it was ingenious and and showed a great deal of original thinking. I happen to find the novel use of house hold simple magic more impressive than more complex magic specifically geared to deal with a dragon.

As much as I despise this iteration of Krum, I will admit to finding him an excellent adversary for harry. He is a little like Draco except for the fact that he has the skills and competence to back up his boasts.

15. Garnth

Garnth Squib

Great chapter.
    Quite a lot of interesting new ideas and moments and yet story don't lose its quality. Many good stories were destroyed when author couldn't reign in his ideas, but here it fits like mosaic.

I hope jbern will have enough time for writing both this and TML

16. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great chapter, I especially liked the dragon solution. However, I noticed one grammar mistake in the entire thing! (Oh noes) In one part you have "let's" instead of "lets."

17. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

There's only one downside to this chapter: the next chapter won't be out soon (unless you put TML on hold) and I want it so fucking much.

Seriously though, it's the first time I see such a well-done medical action in fanfiction. I can't help feeling bad for Aimee, wich I also credit to your writing.

Oh, now that I think about, there's a scene in this chapter that you need to polish a bit, in my opinion. The HJ/Remus interaction lacked some build-up. Remus just didn't seem infuriating enough for HJ to snap.

Then again, it maybe due to my dislike of the Lupin.

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

LOL, Remus fucked HJ's mom/wife...what more do you need?

On topic: I liked the update - didn't love it, but that's probably because we discussed different scenarios to death on the thread. The medical scene was pretty good, as was the diplomatic spat between Aimee's mother and HJ. The HJ/Fleur dialogue that wasn't previewed was meh-worthy...I dunno, just didn't like it for some reason. 4/5 overall

19. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Jesus Christ.

Instead of a mindless bash, I actually took the time to read this nonsense. And I'm regretting every minute I wasted.

I'm just speechless. I remember seeing this for the first time ages ago, and thinking, 'hey, this isn't a bad plot idea'. And then it was all downhill from there.

In chapter two, Dumbledore agrees to let Harry borrow the hat. Or, rephrasing it slightly, the principal of the school Harry goes to (who is also both Kofi Annan and the President of the United States Senate all rolled in to one) has agreed to let him borrow a revered, not to mention powerfully enchanted artifact left behind by what are apparently the greatest motherfuckers who ever lived, and take it to an abusive home where Uncle Touches-Me-Where-I-Pee is liable to burst open the door at any moment and see a very beat up talking hat. And before you quickly cover the plotholes with magic which would be impossible other than points a, b or c... I called it, making all points moot.

There's the comparably weak, but still good 'cache of secret items that nobody else knows about' trick used in many fanfictions and many speeches of why Iraq should be invaded.

(I could go on, but I prefer my synapses intact. One more. This is a placeholder of what could have been.)

And then there's the recent Rolling Stones reference by Dumbledore which just confused me. There was no real point to it other than to point out, "I like old music"; painfully obvious from every single possible title you could have in not one, but two of your other stories.

You know, after all that, I have one thing to say. You're just like J. K. Rowling and Kishimoto Masashi. You take fucking excellent premises, and proceed to ruin the shit out of them, and yet still have ignorant, even mindless fans ready and willing to lick up the stains.

20. Portus

Portus Heir

I'll second that sentiment, and HJ says as much in chapter 16. This Krum is a real prick; what good is a story where there's no conflict? So many times I've started reading a story with a really good premise, and five chapters in, there's no conflict, everybody is doing well in school, everyone loves Harry, or he easily counters every prank or attempted attack by the witless Slytherins, etc. Boooorriiinngg! Who wants to read that syrupy crap? A perfect example of that is Wheezy1's "Manipulator of Destiny", which has a myriad of eye-rolling absurdities. I shook my head and deleted it.

As for TLIL, I went back and reread several chapters to get back into the mindset of this story, and I can honestly say I like it even more now than I did when first reading those installments.

I've said before that this iteration of the Hat is possibly my favorite item in all of fan fiction. How could you not love that thing?

I hate that Aimee was the one severely injured; I was hoping for Krum but alas... Anyway, will Aimee now owe HJ a Life Debt? For that matter, does HJ owe Fleur a Life Debt, as she saved him from being dragon food? I dislike the Life Debt concept, but HJ does bring it up to D'dore in the previous chapter, so JBern hasn't thrown it out.
    And by the way, MonCappy - you have the absolute best (and most eye-catching) signatures I've seen. I've GOT to check out Met-Art...