1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Completely off topic, but what's with the sudden huge influx of terrible written English?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Protip: This site has several writers and those who aspire to write. While perfection in one's grammar isn't required, making an effort to use proper punctuation, spelling, capitalization, tense, etc. will help you be taken more seriously. Also, be very careful with parentheses. Many of us here sling code; when you imbalance your braces, it hurts to read. :)

I'd be careful how you write such a Harry. To me, the hardest thing to overcome with a Hogwarts-era Harry/Fleur is the age gap between the two. She's not some random 17 year old, but a brilliant witch outright who happens to be drop-dead gorgeous. How is such a creature going to be drawn to Harry? This has to be plausible or the story never gets off the ground. I think jbern does a good job with TLIL. I tried to with my own by letting Harry and Fleur strike up a close friendship well before the start of fourth year. Methene solves this by setting his story well after Hogwarts, so the age difference is irrelevant.

Lordships and titles are overdone in the fandom, so unless they play a vital role in your story, I'd reconsider their inclusion. Similarly, Slytherin and Ravenclaw Harrys have been written as well, so that's not necessarily new, but it can be a start to an interesting tale. Independent Harry is quite common, but the novelty of such a Harry is wearing old.

So far, you've got a first cut of a character sketch and a thought about a pairing or three. This isn't enough to make a story, even a one-shot. What you're lacking (or haven't shared with us yet) is the compelling story idea that grips you as a writer to the point where you just can't not write the piece.

For me, it started with a combination of: What if Dumbledore actually took the second prophecy seriously and opted to train Harry seriously starting at the end of 3rd year? What if there was a hidden secret society that explained Voldemort's and Dumbledore's potency as wizards? What if there were a third party in the war every bit as powerful as the Death Eaters and the Order and with ties to Fleur and her family? What if she and Harry still fell in love, despite everything else? What if Dumbledore was far more manipulative, yet no more evil, than he was in canon? What if Harry, ill equipped to handle the stresses he's under, starts to suffer from depression and anhedonism? How can he pull himself out? From there, it was a matter of details, fleshing out the ideas for the story and going from there.

A one shot can survive on just a single new idea, but a novel needs much more: It needs a genuinely fresh look at the tale, something that distinguishes it from canon and the pile of dross that makes up 99% of fanon. This is where your efforts should go if you are serious about adding to the body of Harry/Fleur literature.

3. RainbowDragonPhoenix

RainbowDragonPhoenix Squib

terrible written english? well i, for once, am not a natural speaker (still got an O (if we use HP terminology) in the school subject so i'd like to think that i am not that bad)

and i myself didn't start this off topic stuff and on the other hand, even if it is off topic it might help me in my writing (i am sounding the audience for the responses to some of my installments) and on the other hand i just answer to something other people brought up (sometimes pages befor - if that is forbidden, please tell me and i will refrain from it in the futur!)

To answer the posting before mine:

Yes i know that this Story lacks substance (that's why i didn't start writing, would be like building a ship without having the basic planes and the frame planned out) and so i will start pulling something together (it may take time).

That said: Inspire me (take the stuff i have said and tell me what you would do and so i might find something :) to write about)!

Greetings,
    RDP

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Stop signing the end of your messages. We know who you are. It's fucking annoying.

5. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I assume you mean 'native speaker.' And for God's sake, remember proper capitalisation...

Also, once you start writing, you should ignore your hate of certain characters and write them all fairly. Character bashing sucks - yes, even Ginny bashing. And if you are making Harry much more capable, you must also make Lord Voldemort and the Ministry more powerful, otherwise you are going to break the balance and your fic will be one big trainwreck.

Why would you need an elaborate magical shield to stop the Killing Curse? Why not simply conjure or levitate something solid between you and the impeding death?

He could also be a Shadow Magus, natural Legilimens, Metamorphmagus, Elemental, High Sorcerer, Half-Demon... Please, don't make him into a Gary Stu. Also, his mother's name is Lily... And manwhore Sirius is fanon.

6. Zephryl

Zephryl Squib

Throughout all the stories I see, it always seems that Fleur is Rich, Powerful and her Family has good connections (From either being in positions of power or being close allies with those people)

The 'Powerful' part is basically a given but I don't see why the others are.

Perhaps Fleur won a Scholarship to Beauxbatons? Maybe her Father has a drug habit? Her Mother? Well, they have to get money somehow.

When the Tri-Wizard Tournament comes along Fleur applies in the hope of winning since frankly she needs the money. When things aren't going too well for her she decides she needs a backup plan and eventually concludes that Harry Potter is that backup plan.

And from there? *shrugs* Well you have Fleur with an interest in Harry. Anything's possible.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Then why not go after Krum? supposedly handsome, famous and rich, he would be a far better catch than a weedy little 14 year old.

8. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I don't want to turn this wonderful thread into another whats canon and whats not-o-rama but...

Ok we both agree that she is powerfu, smart, clever..whatever, and maybe she does not have good connections. But please Fleur is rich, in GoF she never says that she needs the cash, I don't even know if she mentions it. The honor and privilege, yes but not the cash. That said she does not get much air time in GoF.

As for the possiblity of her father being a drug addict; There is no proof in canon(afaik) that there are magicial drugs, sure he could go and o/d on few million cheering charms. Ok maybe hes a addicted to mundane drugs, the cost of those won't exactly matter to a rich guy either, eh? Oh and even if it did, he could just steal them from the dealer.

Furthermore, I have only read about 10 or so fics where Fleur had all of the qualities you said.(That said I dont exactly surf through the hordes of thrash that is ff.net hp section.)

9. RainbowDragonPhoenix

RainbowDragonPhoenix Squib

well me again...

to those above:

i never said a word about sirius being a man-whore, i just said he was attractive to girls (which i guess he certainly was)

then: i will not make harry some super-power-freak, also some of those fics are well done otherwise, but harry doing all stuff alone (one wand flick and Voldemort is dead? sorry no, he is a powerfull, knowledgable and pretty darn hard to kill person after all) is getting pretty anoying after time (even more as it cuts out any actions taken by side characters and such, as there aren't any mostly)

....(will not sign now as people seem to think this is strange, also it is common in most other forums i participate in)

10. enembee

High Score:
    ITT: Punctuation Master Class

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

ITT: Here we fucking go again. D:

Soup, enembee? ;)

12. enembee

High Score:
    Only if it has lumps.

13. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Fleur is dead. Long live La Fleur.

Besides that Time Lord Harry one, is there any good, long HP/F recced here? (tis a pain to search)

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

16. Artereus

Artereus Squib

Because he would be far harder to control than Harry. No one necessarily says that Fleur has be to nice. Mmm! Dom!Golddigger!Fleur could be hot as hell.

17. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

There is definitely no way I will read that kind of Fleur story because quite frankly it is just a plain stupid idea and against the whole point of H/Fleur. If I want to read a story about gold digger and a dumb bimbo blonde, I would have browse FF.net for H/G or H/Lav fics. (Although H/Lav can be good and despite the majority, there is some good H/G as well)

The point of Harry/Fleur is that Fleur is one of the only two certified "chick" with brain and talent as well in the Canon Potterverse. There is absolutely no point in writing or reading H/F if you are going to make her a dumb gold digger bitch. The reason that this pairing is so popular in DLP is because we like competent or as list not so dumb Harry and if he is dumb enough to fall for a gold digger then he sure as hell won't be good enough to fight Voldemort and all the Death Eaters.

And agreed with Oz. Sesc, now when will you add the French Affairs to the list of your and get a new update of the story out as well. :p

18. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Nobody said that Golddigger!Fleur would be a 'dumb bimbo blonde.' She could as easily be written as smart and desperate.

19. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I did post an update to Circular Reasoning in WBA if any of you are still following it.

Fleur should be showing up within the next six chapters. But, I've never meant CR to be about the pairings so this will be a very slow development.

I agree. That could be an interesting plot device in the hands of a good author. Definitely a very rocky start to a relationship, but you don't have to make Harry ignorant of her intentions. I.e. he can't get any nookie without it having strings attached. It wouldn't be the whole plot, but you could use it to throw a spanner in the works, so to speak. Maybe she's trying to climb up the social scale in order to break the prejudices against half-breeds and a public figure like Harry, who has consistently cheered for the underdog, would be the way to go about it.

Anything is possible; you're only limited by your perception of her character.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  20. SirDAMalot

SirDAMalot First Year

You know I'm pretty sure that Fleur says something along the lines of everybody would like to have the chance to earn 1000 galleons.

I think it was the scene after his name pops out of the GOF. So if you want to base a story on cannon you could easily make Fleur poor, or not as wealthy as she seems to be in all the stories.