1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I'm about 1000 words into the next chapter and starting to get some traction. In other news HHH is now available in the e-book format for those that have been waiting for it, but didn't want to pay shipping to their part of the world.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1411

Let me know if you experience any problems with it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Congrats on getting your book out there man, good luck with it!

3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Smashwords forced me to do some reformatting and the result isn't as good as I would have liked.

I'm also using Paypal's payloadz service for the ebook, which if you just want the pdf is probably a better option.

Buy HHH Now

4. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

I've been wondering about that for a while, or more to the piont what that could mean for Aimee, she would be perfectly healthy in a pensive.

5. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I remember one H/Hr fic where Harry was deaf. Naturally, Hr knows sign language and Dumbledore has him work with Hermione in the pensieve where he can "hear" normally.

Misused, a pensieve can almost approach the holodeck oops I mean Room of Requirement or supermanison in a trunk (with time turner upgrade) plot trump cards.

6. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

True, I've read fics where harry trains in a pensive with some "interactive memory", and they generally suck, but all I mean is that Aimee would actually be able to talk and interact with people normally in a pensive.

7. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

considering what a pensieve does that is actually a good point, the question is how would you get her into it?

8. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

You wouldn't, it's unnecessary. She can communicate well enough with pen and paper. I'd assume if Moody was in a pensieve he wouldn't magically gain back bits and pieces, so Aimee wouldn't grow skin and hair. To me it's not a mental projection of who you think you are it's the mental projection of your body as is.

9. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

So Harry was able to move around normally on a mentally projected body with a broken leg? Using that logic then Aimee would be able to talk with a mentally projected version of her mangled lungs/larynx.

I assure you the difference between being able to talk and communicating by writing is massive. Try spending one day without talking and only communicating through writing. I've tried it and it is fucking difficult.

10. pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73 Third Year

I think it is like the movie matrix in that how one looks in the matrix is how the mind sees themselves. and if you were to concentrate hard enough it should be possible for her to change how she looks and allow her to speak in the pensieve. its should all be mental manipulation.

11. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Harry moved around the ship. He didn't run a marathon. Right before he gets the memory from Milicent he's on a crutch, so he still had the capability to move. Like I said Aimee wouldn't grow her skin or hair back in the pensieve. I figured people would make the connection that it wouldn't heal the other aspects of her injury.

While you lose verbal signals without speech, it's just as possible to communicate through other means. Yes it's harder, but it's not impossible. Aimee had an entire conversation with Harry, Fleur, Robert, and probably the rest of her family through the pen and paper after her hospitalization. She can get out the very basics at least. Pain. Left Arm. Not that hard to write. Sure if she's under a lot of pain it would be tough to write out, but she's capable. She could even throw in a gesture pointing towards the area on the arm affected.

12. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You'd think the annoyance of having to write would be balanced by her sheer amazement at the fact that she's not dead. I mean, by all rights, she should be crispy flame-roasted (wo)man-meat sitting in that dragon's belly. I wouldn't mind trading speech for a while in the face of that, lol.

13. MonCappy

MonCappy Fifth Year

He is a worthless piece of fucking shit and doesn't deserve to be treated as anything better than what you would flush down the toilet. Shit has absolutely no worth as a human being so HJ's treatment of him is entirely justified.

14. Freelancer

Freelancer Fourth Year

HJ also recieved hatred of Snape from James memory as well so I don't think his act is immature. Actually, combining that with how he treated Harry during the first three years before this and I see no reason not to make sure he is fired or even killed.

15. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I don't think so. HJ can walk there, in my opinion, because nothing actually touches his leg. Aimee can't as the 'unrealness' of the situation won't affect her. My theory has a few plot holes (they can talk in the pensive, so the air is affected... or maybe they talk in the real world?) but it's better in my opinion than the hugh plothole of being able to talk to people in coma.

16. loWall

loWall Second Year

I think we're overspeculating on the powers of a subject that isn't particularly well-defined by JKR herself.. Jim has free rein with it, but has thankfully limited the usage of it such that HJ doesn't become uber with the device..

On a sidenote, I'm torn between dread and anticipation for the next chapter, which *should* be soon, right? Because the coming week is going to be busy for me, yet I can never resist reading any new updates.

17. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

There isn't a font size big enough for me to write 'WORD' in.

I've said a lot of this before, but this wraps it all up in a fairly compact and user friendly package.

Sure, he may not have specifically known that Potter's son would be the subject of the prophecy, but that only means he was willingly dooming the entire Wizarding World, rather than one family. Sorry folks, but that only makes him an even more colossal prick than before.

18. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

It specifically said he could move normally in the Pensive not that he was moving like he could have outside of the Pensive. If your delusion is right and it isn't a mental projection then he was moving perfectly enough to quickly dodge a fast moving object on a mangled leg. The difference between walking with a crutch and quickly dodging something is massive. I figured you would make the connection that this would mean it doesn't matter how injured someone is they would still be able to perform basic functions in the Pensive like talking.

19. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is Dumbledore's hand still dead in the Penseive?

20. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

HJ is essentially whole when he gets into the Pensieve. He had a broken leg right? Well you can walk normally enough with a broken leg, well at least go thru the motions. The only thing that stops you is the pain you are put in for putting pressure on it. Pensieve's take away the pain making it able for him to walk like he was during the scene.