1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Lie I've Lived by jbern - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by jbern, Feb 9, 2007.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Good question - more applicable to TML than this story, since his hand is fine in this story. I would think your "avatar" in the pensieve is more reflective of how you see yourself.

I'll probably make a joke out of it with Fleur saying that HJ looks older in the pensieve.

2. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Residual self image.

It's not about mental manipulation. You know what you look like, even if you don't look in a mirror very often, you have a decent grasp of how you look. As you've grown throughout your life that self image has stayed with you. Recent changes like, losing your hand, or body plugs (Ala Matrix) wouldn't show up, because you haven't lived your life with them.

What I would relate it to is phantom limb syndrome. You know it isn't there, but you still feel it.

Lets pretend to be Dumbledore for a second.

You know that you don't have a hand (that works)
    But entering a reality based on the mind, a limb would still be there.

I'm sure that if you were focusing on your hand when you entered the pensieve, it would probably remain dead though.

Of course, this is all hypothetical.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

I'm about 2000 words into Lie 22 and am working on it primarily this week. If you're hurting for something to read you can find one of my originals in the final "free" pdf of Necrotic Tissue just released today. They're going to print starting in July. Anyway, you'll find my story, "A Sharp Mind" on page 95 of issue 6. If you liked it, feel free to drop me a pm and let me know.

http://www.necrotictissue.com/archive_O.html

4. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  5. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    It did.

I can't find anything wrong with this chapter. It was great.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. Teks

Teks Third Year

Oh snap! Nice catch.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

/me mutters

Sure, update while I'm at work. -_-

8. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Sorry, I had hoped to have it out last weekend, but things got in the way.

9. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sweet! I got first post on a chapter. And question: if warming charms would interfere with the magic, why didn't lighting the feathers on fire interfere?

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

One word says it all.

Damn.

Fleur's mother is a bitch. Dad's one whipped son of a bitch. Sister's annoying as hell. Atleast Fleur is nice.

11. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Ive already left you a review pointing out the one grammar issue I spotted, so I'll just leave a gratuitous 'good work' and 'moar' here.

12. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

I liked this chapter,
    finally some 'nice' action for Harry,
    all those attempts on his life can't be good for one's psyche without some counter balance.
    Also I liked Madame Maxime in action, pretty good.

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Nice chapter Jim.

Madame Maxim was great. I suppose it really would suck to duel someone who can just ignore a lot of your stuff.

It's also nice to see HJ get some action, but for some reason it seemed a little quick, even though Fleur's and HJ's emotional states could easily lead to it.

Now, if you just have HJ kill Karkaroff by feeding him to Peeves, my month will be made. I actually want to see that fucker die more than Snape, and that's something I never thought I'd say :)

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

14. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I was a bit confused by the head in a box. First off, I didn't really get the point of it. Harry didn't like Piers, and finding out who Piers was and that he knew Harry at all seems to be a lot of work for very little impact.

On top of that, isn't Voldemort supposed to be working on getting his body back? What's the purpose of threatening Harry while he's still an impotent shade?

Unless this isn't Voldemort's work and some random Death Eater is playing his own games with Harry, it just doesn't seem logical.

Aside from that, another amazing chapter. Would have liked to see Harry duel Dumbledore, but the outcome would have been rather obvious and the tournament rules are still in effect, of course.

Good times.

15. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was a good chapter, Jim. I must say that it made my day and was a nice reward after a long week of paper writing and exams.

16. Immolo

Immolo High Inquisitor

I'm not sure how this typo made it through more than one spell check.

17. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

The Shestarts was me redoing a part from the last set of edits. It happens, I was home today with a 7 month old who was recovering from a stomach virus. I'll zip over and fix it.

As for the feathers thing, using a fire spell to start a feather burning takes a tiny amount of magic on the perimeter and a warming charm would be a lingering magic right in the middle of the affected area while two people are doing the nasty.

18. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not really sure yet. I haven't read the whole story in a long time, so I might be missing something here.

I took the whole situation as a way for someone to tell Harry "I know where you stay, and I can fuck you up if you come back". Could be Voldermort, could be a renegade Death Eater, could be some third party that would like to see the black family fucked with even more. /me shrugs

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Also, Maxime is spelled "Maxim" twice somewhere at the beginning I think.

Pretty good chapter, though the one-liners and other humour fell a bit flat compared to previous chapters, I thought.

20. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Well the ending was hot, the duelling was very interesting although I don't quite grasp how Albus' shields hold on for longer than HJ's. My assumption is that it is a matter of power and Albus has more power and control to hold shields for longer than HJ.

The meeting at the embassy was excellent as well and it might interest you to know that the formal title for an Ambassador is "Your excellency". Given how much focus the magical world seems to put on etiquette and formality that might be an important thing to note. (Copied straight from my FF.net review)

I also love the arrogance of the French coming out, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that I have more reasons for Frog bashing :D. On a more serious note, your portrayal of Fleur's parents was superb especially the control that Madame Delacour has over her husband and her own failings. That Fleur saw and at least partially understood these is an excellent example of her intelligence not being blinded.

The humour with the Grotto and cleansing rituals scene did fall a bit flat, it was still funny though just not as good as some of your other stuff.