1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chaoticblues, Feb 19, 2010.

1. GrandHighPoobah

GrandHighPoobah Third Year

My guess is that you need to wait for the division to fill completely before you advance. Otherwise people might place into a division with 20 people and get to 1st easily, then move up before the division is full. But, that's just my guess.

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I just finished watching some replays, and I must the say that the Terran Thor was EPIC to watch in numbers. Blasted those puny zerglings Mwahahahah!

3. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Must have had a lot of Thors then, because I can pretty much always counter Thors with epic 'lings.

Note: if the Terran has tanks sieged up, this doesn't work at all. Unless you want to wait for the Thors to die by friendly fire. Also, it does take a LOT of 'lings to kill a Thor, unless they're cracked-out whorelings. (3/3 upgrades and all upgrades done at spawning pool.) You still need enough to surround the Thor, in any case.

4. se7en

se7en Professor

I just had a TvT match of Blistering Sands. (I was playing on my friend's copper league. I'm in the diamond league.) As soon as the game started, I lifted up my CC and went straight over to his natural. After I landed it, I made my first SCV and started to mine and macro.

I knew I didn't have much time, so I made two barracks and started pumping marines on one, and put a tech lab on the other. I then made a factory and replaced the barracks with the tech lab with the factory.

I soon had two tanks, and a handful of marines. I was really surprised that he hadn't scouted me, but he was a COPPER player.

I pushed up his ramp, thinking that I had the game in the bag, and met up with his army. He had around the same composition as me, but was one tank shorter than me.

Then I realized the mistake I had made. I forgot to research siege.

After barely losing the skirmish, I started pumping marines and helions because I knew that this was going to be my last ditch effort. But, Alas, he sieged his tank on the cliff and started to own my base. I GG'ed and left.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I can pretty well guarantee that I'll be trapped in Bronze this session. I just got a 360 and several games for it, so I won't be playing this enough to even so much as clear off the rust, let alone actually improve. :D

6. GrandHighPoobah

Se7en, have you put up your account info yet? I'd be interested in playing with you some time. (That tank/marine push is probably my favorite part of the game).

7. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

Tank/Marines will say hi to my infestors and mutas.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I have definitely gotten worse since beta phase 1 ended...I totally belong in Bronze/Copper/whatever the fuck they call it now.

Anyway, even if I can't stand the comentator, this game was EPIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLW5ius_lI4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefjGpRL7Ss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRKYny2jCfc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykyOeSnpKms

Just fucking WOW.

/nerdgasm.

I wish I had control enough to do that zealot/high templar build...add in the fact he added stalkers and immortals to the ground, and phoenix(es? I think he only made one phoenix) and void rays to the air. My god...I have to go find this replay so I can attempt to see how he hotkeys those units. If they're all on one (or better yet, NOT hotkeyed), I probably have no hope, lmao.

Terran player...He had a lot of different things he probably should have done. The tank/mmm buid is OK, but even I know high templar rape that build. Especially since storm hits air too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I actually watched this match earlier.

My guess is that he Hotkeys the Ground Units to a single group with the High Temps in another. He probably quickly bound the Void Rays to like 8 or something else out of the way, so he could orient on them quickly, but wouldn't require the extra half second 1,2,3 provide.

It's actually pretty easy to do, but mastering it to his degree is obviously another matter.

Of course, this is just a guess.

edit:

I just watched the Video you linked again, and the Terran player really did a lot of stupid shit. Two Sensor Towers out in the open right next to each other? Come on. lol

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

That's what you consider stupid? I consider him gg'ing out of the game at the end stupid, I don't see how he could have lost...

He had 3 marauders, 4 marines, 1 ghost, 2 medivacs, 3 vikings, and 3 siege tanks. WhiteRa had 1 Archon and 4 DT. And 5 stalkers stuck on the island up top, so they don't even matter. He could have easily defeated WhiteRa, no problem.

11. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

That's not the stupidest, by far, but it was pretty stupid. I would have put them up on the cliff of both mains I own. Maybe a tertiary one in the high yield expo.

If I remember looking right, he had a lot of energy on one of his OCs...Could have easily taken out the last of the DTs. The stuff that was stuck on the island expo was pretty much useless. Sure WhiteRa had income still, and a lot of it, but he didn't have any place to go all out and build up again. Once his main was gone, he was screwed. Income means crap if you can't build an army with it.

12. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

TSN, Poobah, and I were Toss, Zerg, Zerg. Poo said "7pool" and I said "Fuck yeah". From there, lulz were had.

13. Phantom of the Library

I think he must have figured that WhiteRa had some more production buildings up or something, with a bunch of minerals banked.

If I was facing WhiteRa I wouldn't expect to win either. lol

Anyway, that was just one example I listed. It was full of a lot of stupid crap.

I've actually been watching a lot of WhiteRa replays, and he loses A LOT of Void Rays early on. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with lag, since he's in Europe and has to connect to US servers, but still.

14. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

BadHose : 540

Got myself completely pwned during placements because I forgot how to play XD. Currently in Silver, Hurrah!

15. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

You know what would make you feel better? Me telling you that I keep on getting wtfpwned in the damn game, and I'm in bronze.

16. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I get wtfpwned in pretty much every game I play...so yeah, don't feel bad Chaotic.

17. Solomon

Solomon Heir

So do I. I'd like to say I have an excuse, but I actually am still playing the game, so I kinda don't. =\

18. se7en

se7en Professor

Yeah, fellow terran. :D

My username on SCII is sticx

I haven't really been ladder much lately though. I've been addicted to impossible scenario and phantom BGH. Most of the time, these games can turn out pretty lame, but once you get a good group going for either game, it's great.

We should try to get some games going.

19. GrandHighPoobah

Yes, yes, yes, your name is sticx, but this is battle.net 2.0. We need your cold, soulless identification number as well.

20. Phantom of the Library

Kinda funny, I got better while waiting for Phase 2. In Phase 1 I placed Bronze and eventually got to Silver (came in late.) But I spent the down time constantly watching vids and working on openers in Galaxy Editor. In Phase 2 I placed Silver and quickly got into Gold. :awesome

I'm still not that great though. lol