1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

Are there any sites where the new episode is available in the USA?

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Check you PMs, no wares on boards

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, there is one even simpler question, isn't it? Doctor who? :)

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Anyone thinking what I am thinking?

9 additional incarnations?

Everything about the voice interface conversation was awesome.

Also love that despite the title, Hitler had little to do with this episode.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Plus, the Doctor now has a trail to follow back from Melz.

6. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Pretty sure the Doctor can have as many incarnations as he wants now since the Time Lords are all gone, no? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

The question is going to be built up to be something dramatic and overwhelming but its going to be a red hearing for something more meaningful and inspiring for the doctor and his friends.

They will try and get us to believe it will be something mind blowing and fantastic, but it will probably be something like.

"Do you wish I never fell into your backyard Amelia?"

The question is do the Silence even know what the question is?

The name "the silence" probably refers to the fact they will end on a cliff hanger as they wait for an answer or no answer will come.

EDIT:
    @Scrittore;
    you are wrong and you should feel bad. It never had anything to do with his people existing, its a factor of his biology but there are rumors going around that they will ignore the 12 regerations he has available rule and retcon it so he can have more incarnations.

@Jon; but the more he looks into the Melz past the less he can interfere with it as he will not be able to meddle with things he is aware of from his own time line. Otherwise he makes a paradox that he will be bound by.

but yeah you are right this would be a good way to backtrack rivers life todate.

@Necrule Paen; I was thinking that, but I don't know if it was exactly 9. I think there may have been atleast one regeneration between birth and the spaceman intro, then Melz, then River.

That first one is probably the one where she lived a life being raised by Kovarian, and getting indoctrined into the silence propoganda.

@Celestin; well played sir.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  8. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

The fact they were to going to ignore it or change it so he can have more should come as no surprise to anyone. Thanks for clarifying though.

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

The question...Doctor Who?

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Hmm... okay.

Not a favourite, but by no means a bad episode.

There was significantly less killing of Hitler than I had hoped.

Fixed point in time, I suppose.

11. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

@QuaziJoe: Time Lords can be "given" extra cycles and the limitation on their regenerations was placed there by Rassilon, so it seems that the regeneration limiter, like on a scooter's speed limiter, could be taken off. How, I don't know, but if they're going from way back canon, that's what could happen.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm with Joe on this one to be honest.

Good episode, not particularly great however. Definitely not as good as I was expecting, based upon some of the previous episodes lines.

"The doctor will rise higher than ever before, but fall so much further." Where is the falling? :/ I wanted to see the doctor go too far for once. :(

13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I doubt it would happen in a single episode. I'm expecting a crusade against the Silence.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Well yes and no.

I forget where its stated but I do recall one episode that he mentions that the Time Lords restricted themselves to 12 regenerations. But its shown that they can give themselves/let themselves regenerate more than 12 times. The Master was given an entire new regeneration cycle. Its also conceivable that without any oversight over the Doctor he can regenerate as many times as he wants.

15. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Maybe I completely misunderstood this, but I thought the way regeneration worked with the timelords was that they had about 12 or so packets of regeneration energy stored up so each time they died, they would use up a packet.

The extent to which the society affected this was that the timelords had the ability to force a regeneration, or give regeneration between each other.

As was the case for the valeyard(sp). who was constantly trying to steal the early doctors remaining regenerations.

The master was just plain weird and he could say fuckit.

That also allows for an explanation about how River used up all her regeneations because she used up all her packets of regen energy to heal the doctor.

The only reason she got any was she was conceived in the time vortex as timelords originally had to develp this over years of developing time travel.

So time travel creates Regeneration.

Although there are technologies that aid in this as apparently the K9 units had a regeneration unit built in them. And it is entirely possible the Tardis has a link to the Timelord as this episode had the Voice Interface telling the doctor that his regeneration is disabled.

Although I took that to mean the poison did that. Not any damage to the tardis.

Again I say this while I am very much aware that the BBC will ret con this to allow for more doctor who actors.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  16. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

EDIT: I'm sorry. I thought my post was pretty tame, so I decided to add a bunch of shit because I really don't like your posts. It's nothing personal. I just don't.

Let it be known that I don't care one way or another how regeneration works, as long as it's workable and keeps the fandom alive. I'm just pointing out the silly portions of your post. You know, for funsies and shit.

The fact of the matter is, we don't know jackshit about the mechanics of regeneration, and guess what? It gives any present and future show writers leeway to do what they want to with the show. It's worked well so far, and considering the popularity of the program, it'll work for a lot longer.

Your theory, as that is what it is, would hold water in the realm of fanfic, as that's purely your domain. In the official DW canon, however, there is no explanation as to the complete mechanics behind regeneration, and part of what keeps the mystery of the show alive is the rampant speculation that this lack of definitive data facilitates.

I quote Wikipedia:

Regardless, let's dismantle your post, shall we?

There's nothing to misunderstand. There's a general lack of data regarding regeneration. Anything you can think up will simply be conjecture, no matter what reasoning you lay on me. I don't have anything against conjecture. I have lots of things against presenting your own conjecture as a canonical explanation.

Inaccurate, but the idea stands, I suppose. The only instances that I recall that additional regenerations were given to a Time Lord are already in the Wikipedia excerpt that I quoted.

Inaccurate. The Valeyard, and again I quote Wikipedia because greater Whovians than I have taken considerable effort to compile the information:

Also, regarding the Master. Your assertion that he is 'just plain weird' and that he 'could say fuckit' have little to no relevance to this argument. He ran out of regenerations. The Time Lords, knowing that he was an enemy of the Doctor, give him more to bring the Doctor in. The Time Lords use him again in A Sound of Drums to bring themselves out of the Time War. Nothing 'weird' about that, and the Master certainly didn't have a choice in either situation. In the first, he was facing true death. In the second, he was manipulated and used by the Time Lords.

Not that I'm defending the Master.

Again, conjecture. It could make for an interesting fanfic theory, if given attention, and I like it, even if it seems a bit simple. The Packet idea, to give it a name, seems understandable, if unreasonable. The second portion of this quotation though, is simply inaccurate.

The fact that Melody Pond was conceived in the TARDIS while traveling in the Time Vortex was not the sole cause of her uniquely part-Time Lord physiology. In fact, it was Madame Kovarian's program of genetic manipulation and augmentation that allowed for the realization of River's Time Lady-esque powers.

The 11th Doctor said in A Good Man Goes To War that it took the Time Lords billions of years of exposure to the Time Vortex to evolve the ability to Regenerate. Your assertion that it is time travel that causes Regeneration to occur is unfounded, as exposure to the Vortex does not equate to traveling through time.

I don't know about K9's supposed regeneration unit, nor do I particularly care. Give me a source.

It's also entirely possible that the TARDIS, an extremely advanced and sophisticated piece of living machinery that is the product of a billion-year old civilization simply has a scanner. You know, to detect things. It's also been quite stated that a Time Lord is linked with their TARDIS irrevocably. I again quote the Wikipedia article.

It's not only entirely possible, but is already established canon. Additionally, about the poison. River explicitly said that the toxin would prevent the Doctor from regenerating, IIRC. It was in the episode, ffs.

That's good and all, but your wording makes it sound like your idea IS the correct idea, and that any other direction the BBC could take the concept would automatically be a retcon.

You can't retcon something that's not been said already. It's simply not stated explicitly in canon how Regeneration works. It's less of a retcon and more of a belated explanation.

TL;DR, your posts need to be cleaned up. Your reasoning is left unexplained, your thoughts erratic, and your writing simply fails in regards to conveying ideas clearly and properly.

I really don't like having to decipher misspelled words that have been left non-capitalized, incomplete, and woefully inarticulate. I don't give a damn that "It's too much effort to write correctly on an internet forum! I don't care! Waugh! I hate you!". At least make an honest effort to write legibly, because Dear God it's mind-numbingly horrifying to read through your posts as they are right now.

17. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Unfortunately, QuaziJoe's mental process is so convoluted that what statements you may intend to mean in a critical way, such as:
    - "you suck at creativity"
    - "you don't know how shit really works, and you're pulling shit from your ass based on what other fucks have said" or
    - "you're a moron"

become such factually bereft ideas such as:
    - "I am on a level comparable to two famous UK TV writers",
    - "the BBC will retcon X" or
    - "I should be a Republican candidate for United States president".

And now, for a dissection of yet another asinine post by QuaziJoe.

CAN YOU REFUND THE REGENERATION PACKETS AT THE GROCERY STORE FOR FIVE CENTS EACH?

You completely misunderstood this.

Capital punishment, fuckwit.

This doesn't even make any sense.

By "constantly", you mean "for one season in 1985". And since a questionably canonic novelisation of an episode of that season (since you lack any credibility, why should I have any?) said that the Valeayrd is supposedly a darker version of the Doctor between his penultimate and ultimate lives - think the Dream Lord, but in better shape - there'd be no lives to steal. Okay, one life. The one he already seems to will have had.

This statement, along with that previous one that made no sense, proves why you should be re-enrolled in preschool.

I hope you die in a fire, simply so that the human race can average one whole IQ point higher.

18. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

@Lutris; Is cool. I'll admit most of that is conjecture. But most everything to talk about in regards to Doctor who is Conjecture. There are just too little real facts out there.

This thread would be pretty sparse if we only talked about the facts.

As for my writing quality. I shall take what you said under consideration.

@Inq;
    [​IMG]
    Y U NO Friend!​

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  19. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Ah yes... get your points refuted and you reply with an image macro.

And as for your "it was just conjecture." defense. No it wasnt conjecture it was theories that were actually WRONG. As in can be proven WRONG. Or at least proven false.

20. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I didn't refute his idea of regeneration, you know. You probably need to read with more attention to detail.