1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Lumnox

Lumnox Third Year DLP Supporter

I would guess that the "Fall of the Eleventh" will be at the end of the next series, in 2013. Seems appropriate that they would make a big reveal like the Doctor's name on the 50 year anniversary.

2. Atomicwalrus

Atomicwalrus Fourth Year

I believe the plan is to have Matt smith as the Doctor until the 50th anniversary of the show in 2013

3. Hello

Hello Professor

I thought the Doctor never had a name in the original scripts? Does this mean that they are giving him one?

4. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I doubt it. He does have a name, but its like a super secret Time Lord thing that they never actually give you name to anyone, and only use titles. You pick your own title. Doctor, Master ect.

But if you were going to tell someone your name, its a very powerful secret. Should only give it to someone you trust.

This all might be wrong. I'm unsure how I got the info, I might be making it up.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

In the Library River knew his name and he says there's only one time he could tell his name. So it's obviously a very private, personal, and important thing.

6. Lumnox

Lumnox Third Year DLP Supporter

Perhaps his name is more special than that of most Time Lord's though?

Spoilers (and some theory crafting):
    Remember that the Doctor has done a lot in terms of protecting the universe. Most notably, he ended The Last Great Time War between the Time Lords and the Daleks. It hasn't gone into great detail in the TV show as to how he did it, but there have been comics and small facts given in the show.

It is said he ended the war with something called The Moment, which as revealed in the comics is a De-Mat Gun (something that can be used to remove a single person from time and space) only on a much grander scale (it could remove millions at once). In the comics, he also stated that he planned to seal them within the Medusa Cascade, which has featured prominently in the show. Two facts we know about the Cascade: a) it used to be a rift in time and space, until b) The Doctor sealed it at some point previous to the newer series.

Now, we know his name is burned across the stars of the Medusa Cascade (as the seer girl described it in "The Fires of Pompeii"). So perhaps his name is somehow integral to keeping the rift closed, and therefore the Time War time locked? He did describe his name as some sort of very, very, very dangerous secret to Churchill in the latest season finale. Seems that if Old High Gallifreyan was used, this could be a possibility (The language has been described as having "once possessed immense power when correctly harnessed, such as raising empires or destroying gods." ("Time of the Angels")

The question then becomes why would the Doctor ever tell someone his name? Since it seems that "only time" was before his death as he spoke his name to River after she poisoned him in "Let's Kill Hitler." So perhaps there needs to be a guardian for the seal to work? But with River dead, that still makes the Doctor the only one who knows, and he's been ready to die before (though he does have an immense sense of personal preservation). Who knows? Perhaps he'll seek out someone else to tell his name to to carry on the secret before he dies for the final time?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the Fields of Trenzalore where no man can tell a lie or fail to speak, a question will be asked. A question that must never be answered. Silence must fall.

Bets on River asking his name and everything going to hell afterwards (I see a pattern emerging here).

8. Aekiel

High Score:
    I just realised something amusing. The Delerium Archive (the museum the Doctor and Amy break into at the start of Flesh and Stone) is the 'final resting place' of the Headless Monks.

The Doctor was breaking into their stuff before he even knew they were after him!

EDIT: Also, the Tenth Doctor title sequence shows Gallifrey half way through. Three seasons before it would turn up.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  9. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude Fourth Year

Wait, it does?

...I don't see it.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

He's just that damn good.

On a side note it isn't so much that the the headless monks are after him as they are mercenaries hired in the hope that they might stand a chance.

11. Aekiel

High Score:
    Half way through, when the TARDIS spins around on the spot, Gallifrey is in the background. Burning.

12. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Please, do point it for me, for I am apparently incapable of seeing it.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I assume he means the nebula (?) on the left hand side of this shot, but quite how he's deduced that's Galifrey, I'm not sure...

Edit: well, that link didn't work, but I'm sure you know what I mean :facepalm

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  14. Aekiel

High Score:
    Erm, oops. Mistook the red vortex appearing for Gallifrey. >_>

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

SO FUCKING CLOSE.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In all honesty? I was a little underwhelmed. It was excruciatingly soppy at times (although fair's fair, I did well up at some points
    "Don't make me watch him die!"
    ). The bit about Madge's husband was very predictable, and Bill Bailey and his colleagues felt superfluous. On the other hand, Matt Smith was at his barking mad best, and the forest looked fantastic, and was a neat idea.

I did miss having a trailer for next year to enjoy though :(

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I felt dirty watching him crawl back to Amy yet again.

18. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    How many shows can get away with those first three minutes?

Only one.

This was everything you'd expect in the Christmas special. Shame it's such a gap until S7.

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    When does season 7 start again?

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Late 2012. Not before Autumn and some episodes will be shown in 2013, so there may be mid-season break.