1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

"You know you have been at DLP for too long when ..."

:awesome

2. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

...you know this is a horrible idea but start fapping furiously anyways."

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hot damn, I was right. (Or at least I got the gist of it if not the details)

I forgot to review the previous chapter but from what I recall I quite liked it. The bit with Brian following her and all that arose from that. Alex is still willing to take risks, some character progression, and a cliffhanger! The bit with Archie waking her up was great too.

This chapter was also great! Hot damn. Can't wait to see where this leads. I even called it in advance. ^^

4. Sesc

Um, what? Is this an early April 1st chapter?

o_O

I think I have to re-read what I just read. This seriously fucked with my mind @_@

It was supposed to be a joke, Inverarity!

5. Ched

The way I actually read it was that Claudia was Alex's sister but not her mother (biologically at least) -- as opposed to being both.

In a way it helps explain some things that felt slightly off about their relationship in the past, like Claudia not initially wanting to hear about things and whatnot.

^^ Excitement.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Wait what? Where is this? Did I miss this. Whatwhatwhatwhat?

7. Sesc

But then who the fuck is her mother?

Also, lol if you read this before the chapter :D

8. Anya

Which chapter?bfhjdanskam

9. Sesc

The new chapter, Anya. The one you get if you have connections :)

Edit: Oh lame, Cheddar >_>

10. Ched

11. Anya

Seriously? I want it so bad. Gimmmmmmme

EDIT:Thanks.

---------- Post automerged at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

That was awesome.

12. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Unholy shit. Seriously? On the one hand, it explains so much. On the other, it calls into doubt everything we thought until now.

Oh, and Cheddar, no offense, but I've always wanted to use this line, and I couldn't when I guessed right, but now, finally I can say it: "[SIZE=-1]Don't gloat, child. It's a sign of poor upbringing."

Which, actually, you know, explains a lot about Alexandra, especially in light of this revelation.
    [/SIZE]

13. Anya

So. Did Alexandra just do another really noble and selfless thing that will turn around and kick her in the ass? I'm refferring to her "spell".

14. Ched

Of course -- she felt something when she did it, so I fully expect it to come back 'round and kick her in the ass.

...but it does seem a bit off that Alex did it when she fully intended to go and call Livia right after. You'd think she's have tried Livia first before resorting to something like that. Unless she actually thought her doggerel verse was going to magically (heh) cure Bonnie that easily.

On another note, I actually want her to tell Abraham about her meeting with Death too -- I wonder if it will get back to him somehow that she told the Hag that she'd been to the Lands Beyond?

15. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

I'm with Cheddar on this. Although I blame logic failure as well. After the way Brian tore into her (especially considering their interaction previously), she must have felt at least somewhat guilty, and we know she has a tendency to blame herself over everything. Since she thinks she's at fault (Bonnie wouldn't have gone out if she hadn't, the owls were probably for her, etc.) she probably felt she was the one who had to fix it - alone, as always.

What I'm worried about is that this revelation will cause her to regress. We know she's been getting more mature, developing, sharing information. But now, when she discovered her own 'mother' was never real, I fear she'll go back to her old habits.

16. Anme

Anme Professor

Haha. Too awesome. Great revelation and it does make sense. And I'm really curious who her mother could be. The first one I thought of was Diana Grimm but on second thoughts, that doesn't make much sense. I have no idea.

17. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Good chapter, I feel like there's an imcest joke to be made though.

18. Meneldur

Meneldur Third Year

Alright, serious shit now:
    This has gone to hell. If something we all took for granted was wrong, how can any of our speculations, which may have no basis in fact, be correct? We're missing far too much information to truly learn anything. But nevertheless, I will make note of those facts we have, and a few extrapolations we can make:

Livia was at Alexandra's birth. That means she knew her real mother.
    Since Claudia is a Pruett, she may have moved to Larkin Mills because of the Warehouse there.

Since Claudia knew where Livia was all along and yet never contacted her that suggests a schism between them. Livia's actions in this chapter reinforce that notion.
    What was the schism about? I think it surrounded Abraham, Alexandra and the Wizarding World in general. Abraham must have asked Claudia to raise Alexandra, and protect her. She agreed, possibly because she agreed with his goals and reasons for doing so. Livia attended the birth, but disagreed with her father's plans and Claudia's actions, so she broke off from her father, her sisters, and the Wizarding World.

Thoughts?

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What the fuuuuuuuuuck?

20. Sesc

Yeah. So after thinking about it, I'm not sure how much I like it. It's not so much the fact itself, more that it happens now, after we're already four books in. I think it's a little too late for such a big revelation -- regardless whether that is true or not, it always looks like retconning. We always "knew" Claudia was her mother, now that is wrong and she always was her sister. Bleh.

Or maybe it is about the fact itself as well, after all -- there's no problem if a minor character suddenly turns out to be someone else, but Claudia is a main character. It's really hard to sell a 180° turn there, and I'm kinda not sold. Sorry, Inverarity.