1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandoms Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume the First]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rhys, May 11, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Heh? Sorry about that then. Must've missed it.

Anyway Mahou Senki: Lyrical Days is surprisingly well written and even though I know nothing about Nanoha I didn't have much trouble while following it. Space ship part felt a bit jarring to be honest but again like said I don't know anything about the anime(?), so it's normal I'm guessing.

About the plot, while it looks like the author planned things through I just can't seem to care about bunch nine-years-old brats to be honest.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mixed Blessings

Murphy-centric Dresden fic.

Technically speaking part of a series, and despite the author's note I think it would read a lot better if you read Near Miss and Snow Days (which are Dresden-centric, but slash). A lot of the backstory is assumed from the previous fics, but I already read them so I don't know how well one could figure it out without reading them. Still worth checking it, the writing is excellent and the characterizations are great.

3. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

Terror Nova

A fantastic crossover between NCIS and Buffy, this gem is one of the best written pieces in either fandom; the writing is rock solid, characters are spot on and the plot fast moving and engaging. The only reason I'm not putting it up for review is because it seems to be abandoned near its completion. It also has Buffy and Faith on the opposing side of the NCIS crew which is refreshing.

4.5/5. A great read.

4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

You Only Live Twice

It's a crossover between Naruto and My Little Pony written by pudgypudge, and in my opinion it's the only good crossover between the two series. My only complaint is that Naruto feels more like an OC wearing his name. The Naruto in the story doesn't remember any of his ninja life, nor does he have any ninja skills, and his personality is far removed from his canon personality, though it is close to how a lot of authors characterize him towards the end of his shinobi career.

Despite that, it is well written and an all together enjoyable read, and the author has a history of completing stories and updating quickly. In my opinion it's a solid 4/5 with potential to rise, and if nothing else, a good time waster if you need one.

5. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

pudgy does have a good track record of consistent updates, but his stories are, well...

Stupid?

6. redshell

redshell Order Member

More or less, this.

They're decent time-wasters and won't require that the reader have a functioning brain, but they aren't exactly engaging on the same level as something by (insert DLP author here). It's sad to say, but barring DLP, Pudgy is in the upper echelon of Naruto writers.

7. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

No, Howdy more or less has it right.

I mean, Pudgy does tend to complete half of his stories. That said, they tend to be pretty damn boring. Naruto/Temari is one of my favorite pairings and he wrote one of the longest complete stories...but it goes nowhere. And add in the fact that he returned with a MLP xover?

Pass.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I didn't think this was anywhere near 4.5/5 territory. At absolute best I felt that the first 8 chapters (all I managed to read) were 3/5 -- and then only if you are a fan of / familiar with both series in question. I personally put it at more like a 2.5/5. Worth checking out for something in this thread if you are a fan of Buffy and NCIS, but otherwise not that great.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks, Cheddar. I didn't think there'd ever been a good Buffy/[NCIS/L&O/CSI] crossover on TtH. I love the site, but they've got some hinky standards over there.

10. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

Walking backwards on a tightrope I found this rather recently and I rather enjoyed it, though obviously I didn't think it was quite up to snuff when it came to a place in the library. Basically it's your traditional 'Naruto goes back in time' fic with a twist- He isn't the only person who does so. And no it's not just the rookie nine or something stupid like that.

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I'll second this recommendation. Mostly lighthearted time travel fic, and there's some semblance of a brand new plotline showing up in the last chapter. Really curious where this will go, and has a great update rate.

If it's completed, it might actually have a place in the library. As is, it's too early to tell.

12. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

The Shinobi Test This is an peice that basically looks at the Shinobi graduation exam, the second one that is, and asks- if Naruto was about actual Ninja- as in spies and assassins what kind of test might they actually use in order to weed out those to soft-hearted for this line of work?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  13. Ched

Worth a read! This particular quote in an early chapter (I skimmed a bit through the first chapter where things were getting set-up) made me laugh:
    Something about referring to a closet as a "storage facility" just made me laugh harder than it probably should have.

But yeah. So far so good on this story, though I haven't finished it yet (it's currently around 41k).

14. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I have read the first four chapters so far, but I don't think I will be continuing to read this. I know its my own personal tastes, but the fact that it's building towards a relationship between Naruto and Hinata kills most of my motivation to read this. Also, I know its kind of a random nitpick, but the fact that Naruto refers to the relationship he wants to have with Hinata as "Lovers" just sounds overly dramatic for a teenager to say.

15. Ched

I do think it would have been better / more believable if they had come back from more than five years into the future. Ten or even fifteen would have been a better target age imo to have their personalities/abilities as they are.

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It would be readable, but Kyuubi's dialogue is so ridiculously bad that I cannot get through it. Kit is the most used word in that entire fucking story.

2/5, I'd say

17. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Oh jeez. For what its worth I thought it was a nice piece even if the ending was kind of a "And then X died. And that was sad. The End."

It was ripped to shreds on Spacebattles. They liked the Sasuke chapter but just absolutely threw a fit when "Naruto was given a softball, clear bad guy to kill."

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I agree--this was a well put together, nasty little story. I found the ending to be effective as a final twist of the knife evincing how cruel the world is.

It's hard to take a site seriously that has Joe H as local celeb. Folks need to recognize that
    Naruto knew there's no way he would have been able to kill someone innocent, so he went out of his way to locate someone who had it coming.
    Even then it was hard for him. This much was in character--and that was kind of the point of the piece, to take a canon Team 7 and turn them loose against a brutally non-canon test.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    yak
  19. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5048842/1/Human_Potential

This one is a BTVS story where Jessie is turned about a year early which is very interesting idea but this story is only 2 chapters long and have a few points which I think is over the top. Could be better.

Does anyone knows a similar story? I would like the read it if there is one.

20. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Not to mention that more than half the shit that gets lauded over there is either shit to begin with or steadily becomes shit. Quality control they're not.

Not open for further replies.