1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chaoticblues, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

The other upgrade is that you get 3 lings instead of 2 per egg, and they have a build time of 1 second.

2. redshell

redshell Order Member

Feels a bit too much like the command center reactor. Useful only in very specific situations, but the other upgrade is the better one 99% of the time. In this case, I believe it was automated refineries.

3. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

It's all down to playstyle I imagine, or just whichever option you find more fun.

Banelings for example can split into smaller banelings on death (I believe it's 3) that do 5 damage or something like that, or they can be like Raptorlings and have a small jump.

Roaches get the choice of taking less damage once they hit 50% health or... Well, I forget the other option but Team Liquid had a fairly detailed list of what they had available upon their recent visit to Blizzard HQ.

4. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

Uh, dude, it was a joke. If I wanted to insult you guys, I'd mock you all for being so much worse than me at sc2. :awesome

5. TSN

TSN Auror

ride your high horse with pride Zenith. I'm a boss at ruse and thats it. I'm better at strategy than tactic and i'm very aware of it.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

The modding potential is just brilliant - custom melee, with more in-balance WoL and HotS single-player units, here I come!

"Oh shi- Void Rays! Go my Scourge horde, go!"

"Wah-? Cloaked Wraiths raping my shit? FFUU!"

"Hmm...Scouts with hardened shields, or Phoenixes with bank-fire?"

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hah, if I was top masters I'd be pretty arrogant about it too. I'll get there though, already pretty close to masters.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

How are you differentiating strategy and tactic?

9. Innomine

High Score:
    Generally strategy tends to be your overall gameplan, your decision making. Whereas tactics would be your ability to actually execute said gameplan. Macro and micro, if you are familiar with the terms.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Macro and Micro -- yup, familiar with those terms in games. Very much so. Just hadn't seen them called Strategy vs. Tactics, which is actually a pretty neat way of looking at it in more "realistic terms" that I hadn't considered.

11. Innomine

High Score:
    I haven't seen 'tactics' used before either. Strategy is pretty universal though.

12. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

How the hell did that huge thing get into atmo undetected? And how the fuck does it stay flying?

Awesome trailer, though. :D

13. redshell

redshell Order Member

Because Mar Sara, to put it bluntly, is a backwater shit hole. As for how it stays flying, I have no idea.

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh, because I'm cool, I"m casting FXO's community tournament on Wednesday at 9pm Eastern. Yall should check it out - www.twitch.tv/zennith6

It's gonna be awesome.

15. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Can't see me delving into the multiplayer, daresay I'll pick it up for the single player much as Blizzard needs to fire the cliche-ridden writing team. From the gameplay thus far it's the little things that have got me rather excited, particularly as a spectator - noticeably the new physics engine and most certainly how the first few tournaments will go after people have had a month or 2 to adapt, work out builds and hopefully Blizzard fix any issues that can and probably will slip through the beta.

16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Damn, the Vikings (cockpit and missiles) in that trailer were fucking gorgeous, even if one was an idiot and did transform in front of a rampaging Ultralisk.

(And the Marines having a turd's IQ).

The Siege Tanks were pretty beautiful.

Also, I had the impression it was Korhal and not Mar Sara, because of Mengsk's statue going down?

17. CrystalArrow

CrystalArrow Squib

Do you guys got any tips for a brand new Starcraft player whose never played any sort of RTS before?

18. redshell

redshell Order Member

I figured Mar Sara because this was a memory of when Kerrigan was the Queen of Blades, and she was captured on New Gettysburg. I don't think the Swarm ever reached Korhal in WoL, but I could very easily be wrong about Mar Sara. Ultralisks never appeared there, so it could also very easily be Tyrador 8. There are Mengsk statues there, the player can have Vikings and Siege Tanks there (I believe it's practically required by the campaign, actually) and Kerrigan did invade Tyrador 8, even showing up there herself to look for the data you were there to destroy.

Also, on the subject of both the marines and the Viking, you have to remember that they were performing slowing tactics. The only reliable method that the Terrans had before they pieced together the Xel'Naga artifact was nuking the entire planet from orbit to burn out the infestation, and even then some places still had Zerg crawling around under the surface (as shown by the 'Annual Hydralisk Hunt' thing in Joey-Ray's bar).

On the other hand, those were Dominion marines, and Mengsk was in command of the Dominion military before he brought Warfield back, both to head up his campaign against the Zerg as well as to publicly endorse the Odin.

We know that Mengsk isn't exactly the best military mind, as shown by the decisions he made in the original campaign (the phrase "he's a politician, not a soldier" comes to mind), and I wouldn't think it beyond him to order a Viking pilot to kill himself and the same with some marines so he could further test the Zerg's limitations. After all, this is a man who was keeping a Hybrid for testing and was trying to weaponize the Zerg.

Play through the campaign. Don't do it on easy, you're doing a disservice to yourself and the game doesn't present even a token challenge. Go through on Normal, the game provides a Hints section and some of the opening cinematics even provide ideas for how to go about things (such as, in the third mission, Raynor saying; "I want some marines in those bunkers, now!")

Also, liquipedia is your friend. It gives strategies for multiplayer as well as single player if that's your bag (following guides, I mean), and breaks things down exceptionally well, although there is some short-hand involved (such as in build orders) and there will be terminology used (like stutterstepping your marines) which you may not understand, but they essentially explain everything as long as you use their search engine. For anything else, I'd feel free to ask here on DLP, we've got players who range from bronze to grand master's.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  19. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Blizzard trailers, man...
    Never played single player though.

20. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but I thought I would post a link, it is the final preview of HoTS, and goes into quite a bit of detail about several different things including the campaign as well as the mutations that were mentioned earlier. There are spoilers about several missions, just in case people would like to be surprised.
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394643