1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Darth

Darth Third Year

It's like you asked that question actually knowing what it is that you wrote..

I see this thread is going into hibernation for a good half a year or so. I think I shall too.

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Smith is quitting the show.

I personally was never a fan of him, or his bumbling buffoon doctor. So I call this welcome news. If only he could take Moffat with him.

3. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I am okay with this. Introducing new Doctors is always a good thing.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

That'd be okay if they brought Tennant back.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Goddamn it. Smith was a really good Doctor, he should get more time than this. :(

6. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

On one hand I will really miss him since he's been the best Doctor I've seen so far and the actor I associate the Doctor with, on the other hand seeing a new Doctor is always good and the bar has been set really high, so heres to happen the next guy delivers

7. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I vote for Idris Elba.

8. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

While I really liked Smith's Doctor, I didn't quite like Moffat's, and, even though Smith is my favourite doctor, I hope that the next Doctor would be played by someone who suits Moffat's writing more, because I feel that the reason most of the recent episodes sucked was because Moffat couldn't see enough of Smiths potential to write him in a more suitable way.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Very disappointed; I once saw a comment saying that if you didn't know who Tom Baker was, then you should just close your eyes and think of Doctor Who. The image you had would probably be of Tom Baker. Well for me, that's true of Smith. He hasn't been perfect, but more than any other I've seen - admittedly mostly post-revival - he has defined the Doctor for me. I'll be sad to see him go.

Still, always interested to see who will be coming next. In my head, when I have pictured the 12th, I've been fond of Julian Rhind Tutt, although that's admittedly largely because he's ginger. I wouldn't mind seeing someone a little older though.

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I got your next Doctor right here:

[​IMG]

If this happened, I'd take it as a sign that the heavens are kind and all will be well with the world.

Going to miss Smith, though. He eclipsed Tennant for me, which at the time of 10's regeneration I didn't think was possible. I hated and feared the change, and wanted Tennant to stay. I got over that swiftly in Smith's first episode. He did a fantastic job, and will be a hard act to follow for so many reasons.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna take a wild gamble and guess a woman.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Eh, from what I've read of Moffats interviews, he seems to feel the oppoesite, that Matt really does work really well with his material, which I agree with because event though some episodes were a bit meh, it was always Matt who made them better for me.

Do you have an example of how the two don't work together?

13. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Helen Mirren as the Doctor and Emma Watson as the companion? :D

Ash, NTD
  15. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

Smith is an amazing actor, and there were many scenes where he portrayed the Doctor brilliantly (the scenes where he seemed darker and wonderful), but Moffat didn't exploit that enough and often made the Doctor seem bipolar or schizophrenic in the see-saw between silly toddler and powerful timelord.

I like the timelord more than the toddler. I thought that the toddler phase was just to show that some of Ten was left over in Eleven and that it would be slowly faded out, especially after the Ponds left. But Moffat didn't do that, and I'm more than slightly resentful

Just my opinion, but, basically, I like Smith's Doctor; I dislike Moffat's.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good place to say goodbye I think. Smith's routine is getting awfully tired and Moffat's unbearable over-arching plot is in desperate need of resolution.

17. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I'd definitely like a less kinetic actor. That would be one good thing about Helen Mirren. But I doubt that it will happen. This trend of handsome,spastic Doctors and their pretty assistants seems like something that a network exec would be pretty happy with. And kids as well to be honest.

Also, isn't the schedule for shooting very tight and heavy? Can Mirren ,or any old person for that matter, handle it?

18. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Damian Lewis is rumoured to be considered as the next Doctor. Only ever seen him in the Alex Rider film but I know he's in Homeland and has got a lot of credit for his role in it.

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...OX-Exterminate-Doctor-Who-boss-BBC-urged.html

This is interesting thought probably not very credible, I'm glad Matt's leaving. There have been some gems, but on the whole I've been disappointing with his Doctor, the childishness wears after a while, and frankly he rarely convinces me when he switches it off and trys to act all 'actually I'm 900 and I've seen shit.' While I have my problems with Tennent too I think he did that style of Doctor better, to the point that 4 years after his run is over Matt will attempt a similar bit of acting and I'll just sigh.

To be honest I'm tired of Moffet too, I think the series has taken a bit of a dive with him in charge, he's a brilliant writer but a terrible show runner, and I've herd that complaint from people who actually work under him. For example Russel T Davis (whatever you thought of him) would be in the room as they edited together an episode, changing/tweaking it as it went along, Moffet comes in at the end, gets them to change some stuff around and leaves. Which to me at-least explains why the ideas are still good, but it feels disjointed.

20. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I saw him in Life and he wasn't bad either. He'd do just fine I suppose, he is pretty handsome. But of course, he has the Emmy award-winning Homeland so I doubt he'll be free.