1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

StarCraft II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Chaoticblues, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I could agree with that I guess.

It's still a great game, just do feel that WCS has been mismanaged a bit.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

If everyone only wanted the top-tier player to win there'd be no fucking point, everyone would be cheering for the same person.

I don't give a shit about Koreans. They're hard to relate to, and trying to get to know them through badly translated interviews so I can relate to them is annoying as hell.

NA wouldn't be full of shitty players if there was infrastructure in place to promote gaming as a profession. Such a start would be a region lock for WCS so NA teams can make money and actually support players.

Right now we have one major tournament for people in North America - Red Bull. And they're only doing 8-man competitions at the moment. The only other one we've had recently is MLG, and they're up in the air.

Hell, there's barely any online tournaments in NA, while I look over at EU every week and see them flooded with small online cups that pay out money, not to mention all the LANs they have over there.

Korea has the infrastructure in place to support pro gamers and the people want to become pro gamers. They have team houses where even B-teamers who don't win anything can live and practice while completely focusing on their game to improve while having great practice partners.

NA just started getting team houses together, but those aren't going to last when there's no money to be made here.

3. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

That is the problem though, the difference between the Korean (mostly an asian thing actually) and the NA scene. Koreans are willing to work for nothing to do it. You can see a similar trend in academia. Asian students will accept offers of minimal pay and absurdly long hours of work to do research (I'm talking like $7 an hour and 80 hours a week. For example, my adviser doesn't even give them holidays or overtime). If they did that to me I'd lol and say fuck no. So, they are willing do what it takes to be good with little to no reward or future if it fails.

Also, Incontrol made a good point about what you are saying with the infrastructure. A team house and coach go a long way. Which is an unheard of thing on the NA scene. A coach doesn't just give them tips on their game, he also motivates (A common misconception is that they are fucking robots, but even they get burnt out), disciplines and gives them overall help in everyday life for them to succeed. And if you look at some of those team houses, they aren't making shit for money if any money at all. IM owner was funding them with his own money for a long while after their sponsor dropped.

And I can understand people having favorites, but if you are going to host a major tournament like WCS you shouldn't region lock it. I honestly don't really care about who wins, I just want to watch the best games possible at the highest level possible. Minor tournaments would be a better avenue, in my opinion, for selective participants.

I just don't see SC2 ever gaining the popularity to become a secure money maker, which is what the NA scene would need to do if they wanted a infrastructure like the koreans. Because at the end of the day, investors don't give a fuck about sc2, only the money they make from it.

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The problem with not region locking WCS, to me, is the fact that visa issues keep coming up. It's really hindering the tournament when someone (as far as I know, never the same person) has to quit past the Ro8 because of that every season.

5. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

That is a valid point, but it seems unfair to punish those that have never missed a tournament due to visas. I like what most of the team liquid comments were suggesting with banning them from the WCS for a season or two if they compete, place and then fail to show up for any reason.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. h2o

h2o Professor

Just thought I'd revive this thread a bit with one of the most epic TvZ games I've ever seen. For those that don't know, Scarlett is a Trans-gendered Canadian pro so when you see her going toe to toe with Koreans its just that bit more impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIygo3bIVmo

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You can tell how despised Koreans are in the gaming community when people root for trans-gendered Canadians against them.

8. Rehio

High Score:
    They also cheer for Scarlett because she's fucking amazing at the game. Her creep spread is the best in the world, flat.

If her wrists hadn't gotten fucked up she would've been at Blizzcon and I bet she would have done well.

h2o
  9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Scarlett is a really powerful Zerg. I really hate cheering for Zerg, but I've kinda gotten into it since TLO switched race.

He's apparently up vs Naniwa. :(

So either Sweden loses or my favourite player wins.

Also: What the fuck, Republic21.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I hate Zerg >:

11. Rehio

High Score:
    I've been a Zerg since I was eight years old. I don't know whether you're a filthy Terran or one of those arrogant Protoss fucks, but eat a dick either way. :awesome

Hyun vs. Naniwa is going to be good. Because Naniwa is going to get knocked the fuck down, and I expect an immediate run to Twitter to whine about Zerg.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Nani did a godlike defense game 1, and the completely thew it.

Edit: Same thing with Game 2, only he didnt throw it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

That linked game was awesome.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That game 3 was so awesome. Like, holy shit.

Eat shit, Zerg pest :D

15. h2o

h2o Professor

Yeah its easily one of the best SC2 games I've ever seen, I still feel that BW games have stood for much better entertainment so far but, SC2 is getting there. Hopefully Legacy of the Void can add that last bit of zest to the game :)

Also, this is one of the best moments in SC2 ever.

16. h2o

h2o Professor

Just to revive this thread with another Scarlett game... fyi, Scarlett's main race is Zerg.

Click the link and be amazed.

17. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Now I'm sad. I was so good and now I haven't played in nearly a year. What's happened to the time? OO

18. Rehio

High Score:
    Scarlett saved Anaheim, for me. There were a lot of issues with MLG as an event, but being able to sit in the front row and cheer for Scarlett during that game was fucking fantastic.

19. theronin

theronin Order Member

In other news, soO has now made 3 straight Code S finals... and lost all 3. The SKT Zerg curse is strong.

20. Rehio

High Score:
    http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/legacy-of-the-void/

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YES.

So many good changes. Not only in the sense of new units like a standard expansion, but the three new gameplay modes online were so needed. We've been demanding automated tournaments for four years, and it's finally here.

God, I'm so fucking excited. I love Starcraft so much.